Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like

Woooo Hoooo!!!! The Body is going on!!!!!!

There's a good bit of head room; at least for me. I'm 5'-11" (6'-0" on a good day).
    So I don't have quite the same issue with headroom that others do.

There is still a bit to do in order to get the body finished up. And I honestly do not know how long it might take. But when I
    saw the body sitting on the chassis, I was actually satisfied with where everything is, and with whatever timeline it takes.
    Because, I am finally seeing this car come together. And it's turning out pretty much the way I had hoped it would. I'm
    feeling pretty good about it.

One more thing...
    As you can see by this video, there just isn't a "cool" or gracefull way to get out of the GTM. I'll have to work on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9mL9...yer_detailpage
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-28-2011 at 02:48 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

4-Point Harness vs. Std Seat Belts

I got a call from Jeff @ Whitby's, earlier this afternoon. It seems that the body is getting VERY close to being done, which means that in the not so distant future the car should be coming back to my garage. I've pretty much decided that I am going to drive it through the end of Summer and Fall.

With that said, I'm going to be "temporarily" installing the Factory Five interior soon. So I have an interior related question...

How many of you are using 4 or 5 pt harnesses? Was it an issue (after) you passed your inspections? I've read that in some states, this something that the (DMV) frowns on in a street car. It doesn't seem to be an issue in other states, as I recall. I have no idea how NC looks at it. If there is someone from NC reading this that can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, those of you who are using the 4-pt harnesses; which kind did you use? Simpson, Schroth, etc.?

I'd really like to hear your opinions.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using 6-point camlock Crow harnesses. I don't like how the seatbelts 'feel' in the GTM setup (cuts across my neck awkwardly) and I just don't trust them really after reading the lengthy seatbelt safety threads on the other forum. I still have them installed, but I've never used them while driving. The harnesses really keep you secure - you do not/cannot move much once you are strapped in. With the camlock setup it only takes a few seconds to buckle up and unbuckle the harness.

Not sure about inspections - in MN all they check is the frame serial #. They don't do any safety checks, etc.

BTW, the easiest way, especially once you have the doors on, to enter the GTM is to simply to sit down side ways into the car and swing your legs in. Easiest way to exit is to just reverse that and give yourself a push off the door ledge or seat. I love watching passengers trying to get in/out when they don't know this technique.
    Last edited by spytech; 08-09-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Spy. I like the way they look. I haven't been to your site in a while. Do you have any pictures of how a 6 pt harness mounts for the 2 forward belts? The seats will be on a slider, so I would think that the forward belts would need to be adjustable in some way.

As far as getting out of the car; I ended up doing pretty much what you mentioned. I didn't swing both legs out, (but I will next time)! I did use the door ledge and the seat bolster to hold myself steady as I got out. The problem was that the seat isn't mounted yet. It's just sitting in the car loose. So when I tried to use it to steady myself, it wanted to slide away. Go figure!

Take care buddy!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am loving the color...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Looks awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    I am loving the color...
    Thanks Guys.

I figured I'd get pretty pumped up as Jeff and the guys at Whitby's got closer to finishing up the body. What an Understatement! I drive up about once a week or so, and my wife tells me that it's getting harder and harder for her to tear me away. I think that Jeff and the guys there would let me just stand there talking their ears off and staring at the car, even though I'm sure I'm keeping them from their work... I can't help it. I'm finally about to have my GTM, and it'll be ready for the road shortly after getting it back.

Roberto,
    The color is one that has been stuck in my head since I saw the GTM for the first time. I really like the color, but I just always thought it would look pretty cool on the GTM. I figured that with the pearl and metalflake in the paint, it would realy highlight the lines and the curves of the body. I'm glad you agree.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Thanks Spy. I like the way they look. I haven't been to your site in a while. Do you have any pictures of how a 6 pt harness mounts for the 2 forward belts? The seats will be on a slider, so I would think that the forward belts would need to be adjustable in some way.

As far as getting out of the car; I ended up doing pretty much what you mentioned. I didn't swing both legs out, (but I will next time)! I did use the door ledge and the seat bolster to hold myself steady as I got out. The problem was that the seat isn't mounted yet. It's just sitting in the car loose. So when I tried to use it to steady myself, it wanted to slide away. Go figure!

Take care buddy!
    You will find pics of the connection points here: http://www.gtm-supercar.com/?p=1493
    The 'crotch belts' and lap belts both adjust at the sides. I leave the crotch belts out pretty far so they don't crush the goods, but if I slide forward in the seat they do their job. Lap belts and shoulder belts are easily adjustable at any time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    I leave the crotch belts out pretty far so they don't crush the goods, but if I slide forward in the seat they do their job. Lap belts and shoulder belts are easily adjustable at any time.
    LOL!!! Crush the goods!!!!! That's funny!!!! But I do like the fact that you can leave them loose as your pictures show.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    What I did was cut and re-weld the lower seat belt mount so that when i mounted my Autoloc seatbelt re-tractor on it, the inertia mechanism works perfectly. The seat belt mount in its stock form is simply at a far to steep an angle for any inertia mechanism to work with any re-tractor. Obviously, this is why FFR have you remove the inertia mechanism from the re-tractor on the stock belts. Once you reweld the mount, even the stock belts unmodified will work fine.

So, in answer to your question, i am using autoloc retractable seatbelts. You can get them from the hoffmangroup website in pretty much any colour you want.

I got a call from Jeff @ Whitby's, earlier this afternoon. It seems that the body is getting VERY close to being done, which means that in the not so distant future the car should be coming back to my garage. I've pretty much decided that I am going to drive it through the end of Summer and Fall.

With that said, I'm going to be "temporarily" installing the Factory Five interior soon. So I have an interior related question...

How many of you are using 4 or 5 pt harnesses? Was it an issue (after) you passed your inspections? I've read that in some states, this something that the (DMV) frowns on in a street car. It doesn't seem to be an issue in other states, as I recall. I have no idea how NC looks at it. If there is someone from NC reading this that can tell me, I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, those of you who are using the 4-pt harnesses; which kind did you use? Simpson, Schroth, etc.?

I'd really like to hear your opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rev,

I'm following what you're saying in regard to the need to cut and reweld the bracket, but I'm a visual sort of guy. Could you post a picture or two of the bracket before and after the weld, so we can get a sense of how much of an angle we would need to maintain?
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rev,

I'm following what you're saying in regard to the need to cut and reweld the bracket, but I'm a visual sort of guy. Could you post a picture or two of the bracket before and after the weld, so we can get a sense of how much of an angle we would need to maintain?
    I was thinking the same thing. I definitely would like to see the finished product.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    [IMG]

One more thing...
    As you can see by this video, there just isn't a "cool" or gracefull way to get out of the GTM. I'll have to work on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9mL9...yer_detailpage
    Speaking of getting in and out. I'm only 70" but I've 26" quads. Passenger side of Keith's GTM, no problem. Driver's side was a different story. I really had to finesse my right quad to get in. I have a slim quick release on my build to remedy this. If you don't have a quick release you can shave down the tilt bumper located on top of the column.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a set of Crow 5 point cam lock harnesses. I also moved the lower mounts forward about 8" or so. With the amount my seat is reclined and my hips shoved forward, it seems as if a mount with much less angle works better. I would like to know how everyone is mounting the crotch strap. I haven’t done that as of yet and I’m hesitant to just mount it though the floor pan.

BTW.... the car is looking great!
    Fred

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GTM #22 - Worlds slowest build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Brewer View Post
    BTW.... the car is looking great!
    Thanks Fred. I really appreciate it.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got word that Jeff should have the car finished up next week sometime. The DMV inspection is being scheduled for this week. The glass guys are coming in this week. And he'll have his stuff wrapped up. Diffuser (with Shane's louvers) is going on today.

I also learned a couple of things that has helped me make a firm decision on the custom interior. That will definitely have to wait until next year sometime (probably mid-year). Looks like the Factory Five interior will be going in. I do have a set of Gen-II seats that will be used, thanks to Jason Cecil. I'm not overly happy about how the black interior will look with the paint, but it is what it is.

I still need to decide which seat belts I'll end up using. My C5 belts are gray, because I am planning to eventually have a full gray leather interior. With the black FFR interior, I'll probably go with a set of black 5 pt harness belts. I don't know.

Should have some pictures of the exterior that will look pretty much finished, very soon.

At least it should be on the road soon.

Stay tuned.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-17-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, that colour looks hot! I didnt' realize the engine sits that far foward in the cabin! Are the motor mounts moved, or
    is that the factory mounted position?

You can change a serpentine belt while shifting gears! ;P
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Wow, that colour looks hot! I didnt' realize the engine sits that far foward in the cabin! Are the motor mounts moved, or
    is that the factory mounted position?

You can change a serpentine belt while shifting gears! ;P
    Thanks for the compliment. I also think the Body looks great. I'm happy with the way it has turned out. Jeff and everyone at Whitby's has done a great job. And yes, the engine becomes one of the family in this car. The motor mounts are the standard LS1 mounts that Factory Five recommends, so it's sitting in the chassis exactly as designed.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-17-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Stig!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    M,
    Beautiful.

It won't be long now.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking at your car makes me feel good and long for the day I can put my hand on something other than primer. Keep the pictures coming PLEASE!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Just looking at your car makes me feel good and long for the day I can put my hand on something other than primer. Keep the pictures coming PLEASE!!
    LOL!!! Hi Steve. I know what you mean. I remember the first time I walked into the shop and saw the painted body; I was blown away. Now to see it actually being mounted to the Chassis really feels good. Jeff and the guys at Whitby's have done a spectacular job with the GTM. In my oppinion, everything that they've done is at the highest levels.

The Glass installer is scheduled to come in soon. Was going to be this week, but the Windshield that Jeff had planned to use, had a scratch accross it at eye level. So that won't work. I need to take my windshield up to the shop, but I have to travel to Ohio for the week.

Jeff mentioned that he could stop by and pick it up while they are here in Charlotte for the Fall Auto Fair Car Show. If so, then I guess it'll be installed the week after. The car should be finished up pretty soon after that.

Once it gets back here, I'll start putting the interior together. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I had planned to have a custom interior installed right away, but it looks like that will have to wait until spring or so of next year. Until then, the Kit interior will go in. There's still a little work to do, but it's getting closer to being on the road. I hope to be able to drive it for two or three months before winter sets in. We'll see what happens.

I'll post more pictures as I go.

By the way, It is so cool to see the things that you and Ken have done with your GTM. Truely amazing! The doors, and rework of the front hood & fenders are pretty cool. But the thing that stands out the most to me, has to be the relocation of the exaust to the lower corners of the rear. That's something that I actually wanted to do with my car, but decided to forego it, went with the Kooks system instead. I can't wait to see your completed car. You've provided inspiration for the rest of us with your build. Great Stuff!

Hugo & Vidal, It really pumps me up to read the comments that you and others have made regarding my car. I'm just looking forward to finally being able to drive it, and start building my impressions of how it drives and handles. Then I'm sure that I'll need to tweak a few things to get them sorted out.

I'll probably just keep posting to this thread, since it seems to have unintentionally become a 'build thread" for the car. It has been, (and continues to be), great to have the support of the people here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-20-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be putting the carpets and interior components in before long. so I'm sure that I still need to seal the floor before I do. So what are you guys using to seal up the interior gaps/openings between the aluminum panels to insure that the car is "water tight"?

Some time ago, Allan Uzwiak mentioned using one of the "Second Skin" products as a "slurry" to fill the gaps. What else are you guys using?
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    My GTM, is Chassis # 0081. One of the early cars. So there have been many changes made to the GTM manufacture process since mine was built and sold to it's original owner.

Since my car should be done with Body & Paint soon, I got my center dash/console section out of storage this weekend to clean it up and prep it to go into the GTM. I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, because I wasn't really planning to use it. All along, I had planned to had a custom interior designed and installed. but plans change apparently.

The early cars used carbon Fiber for the Center section of the Dash/Console, as well as the engine cover. I was really surprised to see that you could pretty much see through it. It looks as thought some of the CF has disintegrated or something. Also in the area of the air vents it looks as if the CF has de-laminated from the inside. So what you see is about a 1" section of clear instead of Carbon Fiber.

I guess I'll have to make some arrangement to either have this fixed, (if that's even possible), or replace it. I could have it covered with leather, but I hate to do that, and then replace it in 6 months or so... But at the same time, I want it to look nice in the interim.

Has anyone else had this issue recently (Gen I)? I remember a while back when "Silver Pearl" went on a rant about some of the vinyl de-laminating from the backing. but I don't recall reading about issues with any of the CF parts from the earlier cars.

As always, thanks for your help.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get the CF dash with my car (#232), but the carbon fiber piece for the gauges was 'see thru', as you described. I painted the back of it with some flat black spray paint so light didnt seep through it, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, especially depending upon the quality of the "goo" that was used, composite parts tend to have a rather short shelf/service life. Composite race car components-seats, helmets, heck even chassis tubs- have a service life of no more than 5 years. It is for this reason alone that I will almost never use a composite seat. It's just another part that "times out" on a race car and has to be replaced regularly.

Not saying that your issues are "normal" but CF degradation over time is a common issue.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig - I was wondering if you could give some more details on the Ramlift Pro yet. Which kit did you use (1.25" or 40mm)? How much actual lift are you getting? Are you using the stock springs? I have been adjusting my ride height and with just under 5" of clearance up front I can make my driveway, but that is without the splitter mounted. If the 40mm gives 1.5" of actual lift, that might work for me. I have also been considering Ironman's solution, but I would need to relocate my front power cell. Thanks. Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Matt,

I am using the 40mm lift. So far, I am using stock springs (450lbs). If I remember correctly, the lift is giving just over 2". I think it would lift it a bit more, (maybe 1/2 to 3/4"), but the KONI shock length keeps it from extending any more. I am planning to switch to Penske's in the not to distant future. When I do, I'll probably go an inch or so longer. As well, I am planning to start with 4 1/2" of ground clearance for front and rear, and then work from there. (Thanks for coming up with the skids Russ & Dave!)

I agree with you in regard to what Iron Man came up with. I think his solution is pretty cool, but I already had a ton of stuff in that area, and didn't want to move it around. The RamLift Pro system was a little pricey, but it allows me to use the space that I have without changing things around.

I am also planning to add Ted's anti-roll bar system and go a little lighter on the springs to some where between 350-400 lbs. I want to drive it for a little while to get a feel for where the springs should be before I make wholesale changes to the front suspension. Maybe by then, Ted will have a bar system for the rear! Hint Hint.

These upgrades will probably go in somewhere around early spring. (After the interior is completed).

We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! That is really good lift (~2")! That would be more than enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of changing the brake/clutch pedals out. I have the early Wilwood pedals, and saw a set that I would rather have in the car.

They appear that they would be a little stronger than the original Wilwood Pedals that came with my GTM. I am also interested in being able to adjust the pads on the pedals just a bit, to give a little more room for foot position on the pedals.

I've noticed these pedals (or some very similar) on someone elses car. Are these a direct fit for the GTM?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by The Stig; 08-29-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig,

My Gen II came with those pedals. As you plan I installed the pads all the way to the left to have the pedals as in line as possible with the center of the seat. Later today I will look at the box it came in to see if there is a part number on it and post it here for you.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wish mine came with those. I saw those on your car K, but assumed you modified them. I'll consider changing them out for the ability to adjust the pedals if the cost is reasonable.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    The wilwood part number on the box is 340-11295. The description is pedal assy, forward,HD, 6.25 to 1 adjustable triple M/C. I'm sure FFR can supply them if needed. IMHO I would try to source them from FFR first if it has a reasonable market price order it from them. I would rather leave my money in their pocket or one of the supporting vendors than in some other vendor like summit, jegs etc.
    H
    Last edited by Kempo; 08-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone post a pick of the original pedal assembl that was used? I may be interested in buying one of them...if it looks like it will work correctly in my application.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Unfortunately not the right part for my project, but thanks for posting.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    The wilwood part number on the box is 340-11295. The description is pedal assy, forward,HD, 6.25 to 1 adjustable triple M/C. I'm sure FFR can supply them if needed. IMHO I would try to source them from FFR first if it has a reasonable market price order it from them. I would rather leave my money in their pocket or one of the supporting vendors than in some other vendor like summit, jegs etc.
    H
    Thanks Hugo! That's exactly what I needed. I appreciate your help.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    H
    Hugo,

I've bought replacement master cylinders from Wilwood, and found them very easy to do business with. I'll just order the pedals from them directly. I think when I get them, I may have them powder coated a titanium gray color. Eventually, the car will have a medium gray leather interior. The carpets will be a shade or two darker, so the color of the pedals should should match pretty well.

Lokar makes an electronic pedal for the LS-x electronic accelerator, that will match the style of the brake and clutch pedals. I'll have it powder coated the same Titanium Gray color. It should look pretty good. I guess we'll see.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that this question has been asked over and over on the other forum. But I'd really like to ask your opinion.

What are you guys using for sound dampening and heat barriers? What were your reasons for the choice you made? Cost, effectiveness, ease of installation? All of the above? Just kidding; I figure that's too much to ask.

I have some material that I used on the inside of the tunnel, but I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not.

I was told that "It's just like Dynamat, but at half the cost".

So I guess my question is; should I just go ahead and get Dynamat to do the interior, instead of products that claim to be just like it?

I've read about 2nd skin, with the Damplifier layers and the spray on heat barrier.

I've also read about the custom fitted product from the Vendor that advertises on the FFCars forum. The main selling point there, was ease of installation.

So what do you say? What have you used that you feel really works?

Thanks,
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast