FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: More progress made on the body : )

Post Thanks / Like

Stig,
    Your car is impressive! Congratulations on such a beautiful outcome!
    Radkat

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Another of the really nice products that Shane has made available to us, are the Carbon Fiber engine covers.

I ended up needing to cut out a couple of slots on the sides to allow vent hoses for the Cold Air Intake to pass through.

I think it cleans up the engine bay really well. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope our car comes out half that nice. Beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK! I am inspired to get off my butt and go get dusty today.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks great mike. hope to get a ride when you get it finished. i'm going to be at the charlotte auto fair w/ cf door panel display in april. should be advertising here then, but you could see in person at the auto fair if you're interested. keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Very nice Mike!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Mobile art!

Lovin' the clean, symmetrical look of the engine bay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Mike that looks awesome.

I really like it

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Radkat View Post
    Stig,
    Your car is impressive! Congratulations on such a beautiful outcome!
    Radkat
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Hope our car comes out half that nice. Beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    OK! I am inspired to get off my butt and go get dusty today.
    Wow, Thanks Guys... I wasn't expecting that. It's been nice to have time to spend in the Garage working on the car again.

I'm trying my best to work through the list of things that I need to do in order to finish it up, and get it to the Charlotte Autofair this year.

I got a few of them checked off yesterday. I'm working on installing the windshield wiper and the rear hatch latch and cable this afternoon.

On paper it looks like I'll be done soon. But it also seems that the list grows as I check off another item finished... Go figure.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-04-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    looks great mike. hope to get a ride when you get it finished. i'm going to be at the charlotte auto fair w/ cf door panel display in april. should be advertising here then, but you could see in person at the auto fair if you're interested. keep up the good work!
    Hey Buddy. Yes I am definitely interested in seeing what you have in person. From what I can tell from the pictures that you've posted along the way, you're coming up with some beautiful pieces for the interiors of these cars.

I'm also working hard towards having my car ready to show at the Autofair. So hopefully it'll be there for you to take a look at. Once I'm done with it, I'd be happy to take you out in it.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Nice..!
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like

A visit from a good friend...

David Borden was in the NC area doing a little moto-x riding with Gary Cheney and friends. Dave stayed with us during the weekend, and graciously offered to help with whatever I needed the most help with on the GTM. And since the correct alignment of the Doors and Windows was way up on my list, we tackled that. After a couple of days working on them, they're finally lined up and fitting the way they should.

I can't thank David enough. Getting this done, is huge progress in my opinion.

After years of talking on the the forum and various phone conversations, it was great to finally meet you. As I mentioned before, you (and Mary) are welcomed here any time.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-25-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

The car really does look fantastic, and I would like to steal one of the comments from above; it looks like a rolling work of art!

Congratulations on a really beautiful build. You must feel extremely proud of how it turned out! Well done!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    May I offer a suggestion:

The intake tubing is very close to the exhaust. Do you have plans to install a heat shield, or wrap the tubes? I'd be a little concerned about intake air heating. Maybe it's not that bad, but I'd recommend monitoring the air temps using IAT/HP Tuners.

Intake Air Heating = detonation prone cylinder charge, as well as less density for power.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like

The intake tubing is very close to the exhaust. Do you have plans to install a heat shield, or wrap the tubes? I'd be a little concerned about intake air heating. Maybe it's not that bad, but I'd recommend monitoring the air temps using IAT/HP Tuners.

Intake Air Heating = detonation prone cylinder charge, as well as less density for power.
    I really haven't seen where wrapping the intake tubes was needed. I've ceramic coated the entire exhaust inside and out. It really isn't retaining huge heat. It gets warm, but not so much that it overwhelms the cold air intake. But, now that you've mentioned it, I can see where it makes sense to consider it.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

The car really does look fantastic, and I would like to steal one of the comments from above; it looks like a rolling work of art!

Congratulations on a really beautiful build. You must feel extremely proud of how it turned out! Well done!!

Regards,

Steve
    Thank you Steve. I really appreciate the positive comments. But there is still a bit to do yet. I do have to say, though, that I was really stoked to have Dave Borden's help with getting the doors and windows aligned correctly. I still have a little to do with them, but they're hanging perfectly, and the windows are sealing well with the upper weather strip.

And you're right; I am proud of the work that has been done so far on the build. Every time I see it, seems like the first time seeing it.

It is just the coolest design. The other side of the coin is the frustration of being so close, but not able to drive it on the streets yet...

It's getting closer though. And I think I'm starting to get excited about working on it again. (Went through a bit of a period where I couldn't have cared less about getting out in the garage to work on it).

If you're in the area, feel free to come by to take a look.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-26-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Stig! That paint is amazing. Are you going with the rear wing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Looking good Stig! That paint is amazing. Are you going with the rear wing?
    Thanks.

Yes, I'm using Shane's custom wing on the car.

The design goes more along with my style than the race wing. And I really like how it "bridges" the rear fenders.

Shane really did some nice work with this design...

As I keep saying, "It's getting there".
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-27-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I have to find some way to get that hatch (and the glass) to sit down into the body the way it should.

The glass stands almost entirely above the line of the roof and side "pillars" of the body. I realize that there is no way to make it perfect, but I've never seen it sit so high on any of the other GTMs.

I'll start by trying to adjust the hinges and brackets a bit, to get the front to come down closer to the roof line. The last resort, would be to re-work the body and have to repaint. I certainly don't wont to go there if I don't have to.

I've been following Gene's "fastthings" YouTube videos of his build, and have been blown away by the incredible work he has done on the body of his car. Particularly with the doors, windows, and hatch. Seeing his videos is what makes me feel that some re-work may be in store for the body, if the glass is ever going to fit flush.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MIke,
    you may want to just be happy with the way it is. It would be alot of work to redo the whole thing. The only thing I would do at this point is maybe cut off the surface that the seal sets on, assuming that it is what kepping it from going down the way you want. Then the only thing you would have to do is touch up the inside lip, not touching the outside surface at all.

Meaning reglass a new lower lip for the hatch to rest on, without getting into the main surface of the car. If you get into the main surface you might as well get out the grinder and redo the whole thing, I would not want to do that. I wish you could be happy with the way it is, it looks sharp. If not I understand completely.

Happy to help, if I can
    Gene

One more thing, does the opening fit the contour of the body? If not you may just leave it alone. It would do no good to drop it down if the hole is not big enough for the glass.
    Last edited by fastthings; 03-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Thanks MIke,
    you may want to just be happy with the way it is. It would be alot of work to redo the whole thing. The only thing I would do at this point is maybe cut off the surface that the seal sets on, assuming that it is what kepping it from going down the way you want. Then the only thing you would have to do is touch up the inside lip, not touching the outside surface at all.

Meaning reglass a new lower lip for the hatch to rest on, without getting into the main surface of the car. If you get into the main surface you might as well get out the grinder and redo the whole thing, I would not want to do that. I wish you could be happy with the way it is, it looks sharp. If not I understand completely.

Happy to help, if I can
    Gene

One more thing, does the opening fit the contour of the body? If not you may just leave it alone. It would do no good to drop it down if the hole is not big enough for the glass.
    I think it's the typical story... The closer you are to something, the more you notice and "see" that you just can't let go of. You mentioned the exact thing that I figure would need to be done. Cut out the lip and re-glass a new lip that sits 3/8" lower. The opening was cut/ground out in order to allow the glass to fit. The gap is fine. It just doesn't sit into the opening the way I expected. It could be the amount of adhesive that was used in the channel. I know the adhesive in the rear quarter windows is pretty thick at the leading edge, and they sit up a little as well.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    David Borden was in the NC area doing a little moto-x riding with Gary Cheney and friends. Dave stayed with us during the weekend, and graciously offered to help with whatever I needed the most help with on the GTM. And since the correct alignment of the Doors and Windows was way up on my list, we tackled that. After a couple of days working on them, they're finally lined up and fitting the way they should.

I can't thank David enough. Getting this done, is huge progress in my opinion.

After years of talking on the the forum and various phone conversations, it was great to finally meet you. As I mentioned before, you (and Mary) are welcomed here any time.

Anyone else see that David looks a little like Andy Dick? Just saying.

Sig, your car really looks beautiful. You should be very proud of yourself!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made this comment over in Hugo's (Kempo) thread after seeing the pictures of the progress that he's making with the interior of his car. It just occured to me that there is a growing list of extremely nice GTM's that will likely finish up at about the same time.

It would be awesome to be able to put some sort of Factory GTM Owners meet together. I know that there is the Open house that FFR holds each year, and I'm planning to be there with my car. But it would be very cool to do something more centralized so that more people could take part. It would be great to be able to have so many GTM's in one place, so we could all finally meet each other. Maybe not just GTM's, but all of the various FFR cars.

I've been fortunate enough to have been able to meet and become friends with Alan Uzwiak, Gary Cheney, David Borden, and even Dave Smith & Jim Schenk of the FFR/GTM world. They're all great people, and I feel that there are many other great people to meet in our small but growing circle of builders. I truly feel that the friendships made here mean as much as the cars that we're building. In a lot of ways, the cars are really just the "added bonus".

I've been working to simply get my car "finished", much less meet another self imposed deadline. But this is a thought that has been bouncing around in my head since last years open house at Factory Five.

It might be something to think about anyway.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be awesome to be able to put some sort of Factory GTM Owners meet together.
    Sounds like a great idea Mike.

I will be at the open house, hopefully my car will be there too. Sadly, it seems like every part I order is expected to arrive just in time for the next build step, but arrives weeks or months or years late. I’m not complaining as that’s part of this process, but those self imposed deadlines just continue to pass.

What a sight to see 5 or 10 GTMs all parading around. It would be good to coordinate our meeting with a regional event, car show, or race so we have plenty of spectators

I have never seen a GTM driving on the street. I only know of one finished car on Long Island. I am not sure what the finished GTM count is these days, but I am pretty sure that there are less than 150 cars running and driving. If we get 15 owners together we have a GTM Concours d'Elegance.

Im in.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I'm thinking.

We should really try to make it happen at some point. Hopefully sooner than later...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know where to source a set of 4 dash vents that will fit the GTM, that are black with chrome rings? I am looking for 4 or 6 of them. And the only ones I've found so far are for the Lamborghini Murcielago P640, and the guy wants 150.00 ea for them.

Thanks.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to thank you again for the hospitality. It was wonderful meeting you and your sweet wife. I had a great time at your place and really appreciate your help in making the motorcycle trip with Gary Chenney and gang possible.

Im really thrilled that I was able to give you a helping hand with the window and door alignment. Suprisingly, we were able to get them both done in probably what equated to 1 full days work. The drivers side was a bit more work than the passenger side but we got her done. Its interesting how the first time through it is really a challenge. Re visiting it on your car showed it not being to bad with a few tricks I had learned on my car. The good new, is one of the more challenging parts of the build is now behind you.

You have really done an Outstanding job on your car so far, its just stunning in person.. Everything is very tidy and neat. The paint is just beautiful. The treatment you did to the Engine bay is very very nice. One of the best Ive seen. Seeing it made me miss my car. Folks, pictures just dont do this car justice. Its a stunner. Whats even more incredible, is this is first build!!!

Again, it was great to finally meet one a nicest guys Ive met in the FFR community. Your wife is just a GEM as well. Please say hello to her from Mary and I!

All the best, David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, IATs are very important.

I had basically the exact same intake and exhaust setup as on Mikes car, although my intake tubing was a bit closer to the exhaust than on his. I logged IAT's on my car while moving(with HPT), and they were very good. About 10 degrees over Ambient. They crept up maybe 20 degrees sitting in traffic, but after the intake change(what you see on Mikes car) I was really pleased with the results.

In contrast, when having the air filter right on the end of the MAF over the exaust, IAT's were in the 200 degree range if I remember correctly which is very bad I documented all this on the other forum, maybe 4 years ago. With that said, I think his is good to go given his current setup. He certainly could check it down the road, but if I was him, based on my testing, I wouldnt touch it.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike, I logged on to check in on your build. Repeating myself, and echoing the sentiments of others: beautiful. You've really taken the time to think through, sort through, and execute a really high quality build.

I'm sad to read that you had to properly fit your doors yourself after the GTM spending so much time (and you spending so much $$$) at such a well respected shop. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption it should have been handled for you.

Thankfully you had David lend you a hand it getting it taken care of, which in the end is all that matters. Some good guys in this hobby...always nice to see stuff like that.

I can't wait to see your car in person!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, your car is beautiful, you should be proud of the craftsmanship, & attention to detail. Really stunning.
    Also good to see you getting some work out of DB
    Maybe this will inspire David to build another GTM after he is done with the Roadster, hate to admit it, but we miss you around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hey Mike, Just wanted to thank you again for the hospitality. It was wonderful meeting you and your sweet wife. I had a great time at your place and really appreciate your help in making the motorcycle trip with Gary Chenney and gang possible.

Im really thrilled that I was able to give you a helping hand with the window and door alignment. Suprisingly, we were able to get them both done in probably what equated to 1 full days work. The drivers side was a bit more work than the passenger side but we got her done. Its interesting how the first time through it is really a challenge. Re visiting it on your car showed it not being to bad with a few tricks I had learned on my car. The good new, is one of the more challenging parts of the build is now behind you.

You have really done an Outstanding job on your car so far, its just stunning in person.. Everything is very tidy and neat. The paint is just beautiful. The treatment you did to the Engine bay is very very nice. One of the best Ive seen. Seeing it made me miss my car. Folks, pictures just dont do this car justice. Its a stunner. Whats even more incredible, is this is first build!!!

Again, it was great to finally meet one a nicest guys Ive met in the FFR community. Your wife is just a GEM as well. Please say hello to her from Mary and I!

All the best, David
    Wow! Thanks Dave. These comments mean a ton to me.
    I first fell in love with the GTM when I saw the Red LS7 car for the first time at the AutoFair in Charlotte back in 2008. When I learned about the Forum, I read all that I could to learn more about the car and what was involved in building it. This is where I learned of your build thread and used it as a guide to make good decisions going forward.

As I saw your car progress, I knew that for me I had to build a car that kept to the original design that Jim laid out for the GTM. I knew that I didn't want a "race car", but a more subtle-aggressive look. Your GTM build became the blueprint in my head.

The only addition to the body that I wanted, came when Shane introduced his custom rear wing. I really like the way it bridges the rear fenders and ties the look together. Everything else I've tried to keep as close to FFR's design as possible.

As you mentioned, this is my first build. (Ever). And as such, I may have over-thought way too many things. But in the end, I think I'm finishing up with a car that is a very close match to the picture that I've had in my head over the past couple of years.

So your comments really made me feel good about where I am with the car. It was awesome to be able to meet you and spend some time. It was also good to get back out in the Garage and get back to work on the car again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stage7 View Post
    Hi Mike, I logged on to check in on your build. Repeating myself, and echoing the sentiments of others: beautiful. You've really taken the time to think through, sort through, and execute a really high quality build.

I'm sad to read that you had to properly fit your doors yourself after the GTM spending so much time (and you spending so much $$$) at such a well respected shop. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption it should have been handled for you.

Thankfully you had David lend you a hand it getting it taken care of, which in the end is all that matters. Some good guys in this hobby...always nice to see stuff like that.

I can't wait to see your car in person!
    Hi Roberto. Jeff Collins (Whitby Motorcars) did an amazing job with the paint and body work on the car. The color came out exactly as I had hoped. The body work is absolutely straight. The Doors and Hatch still needed final adjustment, and he offered to re-work those things after I finished everything else up. I felt that it was important (for me) to go ahead and get the doors and windows lined up so I could have that behind me and not have to worry about it.

I've really appreciated your comments along the way, (and still do). You've been incredibly supportive and helpful to me. I was bummed when I learned that you made to choice to move from the GTM build to the SLC. But after learning more about the SLC, I can see why you made the switch. Your build is absolutely gorgeous, and you've incorporated some really nice touches. I can't wait to see it finished up. You and Allan will need to road trip down and meet up with some of the GTM guys, if we can make it happen. That would be way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by LS MAN View Post
    Mike, your car is beautiful, you should be proud of the craftsmanship, & attention to detail. Really stunning.
    Maybe this will inspire David to build another GTM after he is done with the Roadster, hate to admit it, but we miss you around here.
    Hi Ted.
    Thank you for your positive comments and the help that you provide not just to me, but to everyone here. Roberto is absolutely right when he said that there are good people throughout this hobby. I've been fortunate enough to meet a few face to face. Still looking forward to getting out to California and meeting you and Ron.

I'm also looking forward to:
    - Getting the front Swaybar Kit Mounted
    - Getting the Bushings replaced in the Control Arms
    - Getting the FFR Bump Steer Kit installed
    - Getting the new Shocks and Springs mounted
    - Getting the Alignment finished
    - Getting the corners weighed and balanced
    - Getting the rest of the Wiring done. (Headlights, Windows, Wipers, Gauges)
    - Getting the Interior installed
    - Getting the Audio system installed
    - Getting the Registration / Paperwork / Tags finalized
    - And finally Getting this thing on the highway!

So see.... Just a couple more things to having this one wrapped up. Then I can start on the MkIV for Pam.

You guys are great! Knowing you all and building these friendships has been one of the more important parts of this whole build experience for me.

Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement. It matters!
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Steve. I really appreciate the positive comments. But there is still a bit to do yet. I do have to say, though, that I was really stoked to have Dave Borden's help with getting the doors and windows aligned correctly. I still have a little to do with them, but they're hanging perfectly, and the windows are sealing well with the upper weather strip.

And you're right; I am proud of the work that has been done so far on the build. Every time I see it, seems like the first time seeing it.

It is just the coolest design. The other side of the coin is the frustration of being so close, but not able to drive it on the streets yet...

It's getting closer though. And I think I'm starting to get excited about working on it again. (Went through a bit of a period where I couldn't have cared less about getting out in the garage to work on it).

If you're in the area, feel free to come by to take a look.
    Mike-

Many thanks for the invitation! I may take you up on it. Likewise, if you are ever near the Triangle, let me know and we can share a beverage of choice while I drool all over your car!!

I can imagine being close, but not quite ready to drive. It would drive me crazy too, but just imagine the reactions you will get driving that beautiful beast (oxymoronic I know--but fitting!) around town!

Best of luck as you complete your car. Are you planning on going to the Charlotte Auto Fair? I have been kicking it around, but if you bring your car, it might tilt the scales!!

Thanks again, and keep rocking the garage!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

Many thanks for the invitation! I may take you up on it. Likewise, if you are ever near the Triangle, let me know and we can share a beverage of choice while I drool all over your car!!

I can imagine being close, but not quite ready to drive. It would drive me crazy too, but just imagine the reactions you will get driving that beautiful beast (oxymoronic I know--but fitting!) around town!

Best of luck as you complete your car. Are you planning on going to the Charlotte Auto Fair? I have been kicking it around, but if you bring your car, it might tilt the scales!!

Thanks again, and keep rocking the garage!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks Steve.

Yes I'm planning to go unless something pulls me away. However, I'm afraid that my car won't be there. The work list is shrinking, but there are Still too many things to complete... I have no doubt that I'll be doing a couple of shake down runs to the Triangle. I have a couple of promises to keep that involve making sure that some friends that I've made along the way get a good solid ride. If it goes well, they'll also get to drive it. You just really have no idea what it is you're building, until you get behind the business end of the Steering wheel and gas pedal of one of these cars... It's something to put in your memoirs.

If you saw the Match up between Dave Smith's Mk-IV, and Jim Maxwell's 427 Cobra recently on television, you'll know the first stop that I'll be making. Jim allowed me to take a few hot passes through the ZEMAX dragway parking lot in his Authentic and Priceless 427 Cobra. He was interested in the GTM build and I told him that when the car was done, I'd be heading his way to let him take it for a spin. That should be fun!

Take care Buddy!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget about your buddies out in Bakersfield if you make it to California. Ron and Ted live about 4 hours north of me but in GTM time, 4 hours is but a blink of the eye.

Hi Ted.
    Thank you for your positive comments and the help that you provide not just to me, but to everyone here. Roberto is absolutely right when he said that there are good people throughout this hobby. I've been fortunate enough to meet a few face to face. Still looking forward to getting out to California and meeting you and Ron.

I'm also looking forward to:
    - Getting the front Swaybar Kit Mounted
    - Getting the Bushings replaced in the Control Arms
    - Getting the FFR Bump Steer Kit installed
    - Getting the new Shocks and Springs mounted
    - Getting the Alignment finished
    - Getting the corners weighed and balanced
    - Getting the rest of the Wiring done. (Headlights, Windows, Wipers, Gauges)
    - Getting the Interior installed
    - Getting the Audio system installed
    - Getting the Registration / Paperwork / Tags finalized
    - And finally Getting this thing on the highway!

So see.... Just a couple more things to having this one wrapped up. Then I can start on the MkIV for Pam.

You guys are great! Knowing you all and building these friendships has been one of the more important parts of this whole build experience for me.

Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement. It matters![/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike your car looks awesome. I really like the color you choose for it.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get the Front sway bar kit mounted today...

I was able to make some progress getting Ted Harrison's (Quick Racing Products) Front Sway Bar Kit installed today.

These parts are very impressive to me. The torsion bar is well engineered. The Billet Brackets are beautiful! The powder coated "Blade Arms" are very professionally done. The whole kit really provides a nice solution to the need for a little more control of the front suspension.

Ted's installation instructions are dead on. They made the process go very smoothly.

Here's a picture of the installed Billet Bracket with the bushing pushed in.

I was able to do pretty much all of the install without having to remove the front tires.
    However, I did pull the passenger side wheel in order to slide the torsion bar through.
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-05-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had to move a couple of things that were in the way. I have a remote positive
    connection and a Master Fuse that I need mount some place else. I also needed to move
    the Brake Lines out in order to run the bar behind them.

I had to disconnect the clutch master cylinder so I could insert the bolts through the frame.

My neighbor has a sweet mill in his garage that he used to make a couple of brackets that surround
    the 3/4" frame tubing on 3 sides in order to provide a bit more strength since the bolt holes may take
    out a little strength. The brace/sleeve adds strength back to the frame bars.

Here is a picture that shows the Blade Arm in place, as well as the connector rod attached
    to the lower control arms.

One more item checked off of my list...

Next on the list, is to finish wiring the headlights, blinkers, windows, mirrors (once installed), etc., etc., etc.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Got started on "finishing" wiring the Headlights.

Got a good start on getting the headlights, blinkers, and Fog lights wired up. As I've said before, I truly feel that I have the coolest wife in the world. When I started installing the Front Sway Bar kit, my wife decide to make the rounds at the local parts stores to find some connectors for the headlights.

She took one of the bulbs with her, and 2 hours later came home with a set of pig tail that were a perfect fit for the headlights...

She found them at Advanced Auto Parts.
    The connector is a weather pack connector made by Dorman.
    Part Number: 84784.
    Description: Headlight Socket for H9 Bulb.

You can't really tell much from this picture, but this is what the packaging looks like if you decide to pick up a set for your car.

When I'm done, I'll wrap the wires in wiring loom and tape them up. I'll also use a medium sized clip to hold the looms out of the way of the hinges and aluminum panels. I also have a set of Fiber glass Panel Covers that I'll use to cover the access to the headlights. Ted Harrison sells these, and they have a "bubble" that allows it to fit over the head light connectors, and mount flush to the aluminum panel.

So far, the passenger side Head Light, and High Beam is wired and working. However I have a question. Are both lights supposed to be lit when the High Beams are on?

Right now, when I switch from low beams to high beams, the low beams turn off. I thought that I remembered seeing a couple of pictures showing that all lights are lit when the High beams are on.

Can anyone send me a wiring diagram for the headlights and fog lights, so I don't have to re-invent the wheel? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Also will the fog lights be overriden when the brites are turned on?
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-31-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike how much clearance do you have between the blade arm and the shock spring? IIRC Ted had told me that the bar assembly had been designed running the shock with the body up and the spring down to prevent clearance issues. Make sure you don't have any contact there when the suspension moves. I see you have the yellow koni's so you should not have any problems running them inverted.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Hugo,

The arms are pretty close. The Yellow Koni's will be swapped out in the next week or so. If I'm still a bit close, I may need to work something out with Ted. I went ahead and installed the kit in order to see where I am with clearances, and to get it checked off the list of things to do...

When I get the new shocks, I'll let you know how it looks in terms of spring clearance.

Take care,

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LS MAN View Post
    I'm not sure how quick Dave is going to be ready to jump back into another GTM build. But I do know that he has a pretty firm idea as to what color it would be, if he did...

Just sayin'...
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,
    IIRC you were using the Billet piece that holds the wiper motor and has it's own tank. Did the bar clear with it with out any modifications?
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,
    IIRC you were using the Billet piece that holds the wiper motor and has it's own tank. Did the bar clear with it with out any modifications?
    Hi Vidal,

I'm going to have to have the tank notched in order to fit overhthe bar. It shouldn't take much to get it done. I'll post pictures when it's done.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Vidal,

I'm going to have to have the tank notched in order to fit overhthe bar. It shouldn't take much to get it done. I'll post pictures when it's done.
    After notching the tank for bar clearance, could you add a barb fitting at the bottom to connect to another lower mounted resevoir to increase capacity?
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast