Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor Disassembly - E Brake Cables

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Disassembly - E Brake Cables

The donor is just about ready to leave. I've just got the rear end to take out. The manual description just isn't making sense. I have disconnected and removed the handle and single cable but just can't see how to take out the two that go to the wheels. Do I even need them? BTW my donor is an '88.

Speaking of rear end, I'm certain that I'll be replacing all the shocks. Is there any reason not to just disconnect them and leave them in the carcass?

Thanks

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes you need the cables to the rear end, they acttuate the pads to park the brakes. I believe they run through a mount/bracket on the underside of the carrage that has hardend rivit that you need to drill out. Not an easy rivit to drill out, it will ruin a couple of bits, unless you get a spot weld cutter, it may actually be spot welded on ( the bracket) and that is what you need to drill out.....can't remember exactly, been awhile..........but you need the whole system. You can leave the shocks in the car if you care to......HTH steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you will need the cables when you reinstall the rear in the car. Worst comes to worst, you can cut the cables and purchase new ones at the auto parts store. They are relatively in-expensive.

If you are planning to replace the shocks anyway (I did), you can leave them in the carcass. No big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you keeping the drums in the rear or swapping to discs. If going disc you'll need different cables anyway.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I wanted to hear! Yes, I'm going to convert to disks.

Post Thanks / Like
    This might be too late, but to take the donor cables out of their bracket at the handle end, you slide the closed end of a 1/2" or 13mm end wrench over the end of the housing. This pushes the spring-loaded ears back so you can pull the housing out of the bracket from behind.

Does that help?
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...