Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Five Interactive Kit Builder Program

Post Thanks / Like

Factory Five Interactive Kit Builder Program

Introducing a new way to build and customize your Factory Five Roadster!

Public Beta test - PC and MAC compatible
    LINK: 3dautosports.com/ffr/beta

March 12th update!

We have updated the program and switched on our matching website format to match the new Factory Five website. We have several features added including some updates. Please check it out and give the tires a kick!

A cool feature we completed is the ability to share a car by a link. Example if you go to this link, it will load the blue car pictures below.

NOTE, screenshots might be iffy right now as we are working to bring a better system online soon.

Enjoy!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Our small team has been working with Factory Five to develop an interactive 3D program for building and customizing your very own MK4 Roadster. This is only a test BETA version. We are working iron out the bugs as we wrap up on a few extra features. Any feedback you could provide us will only make the program better! So please post your feedback and photos in here.

Note. Most users will need to install a webpage plugin update. This update is easy update to install, much like a flash update for your web browser. You only need to install it once and it works forever.

This program is designed to take you though the entire process of building your very own Factory Five Roadster Kit. Once you have completed your build, you have 2 options: review order and paint this car. At this point, you can create a custom paint job on your roadster. This is a great tool for anyone wanting to test paint combos on your roadster. You can also share this program on face book. Right now we have our basic sharing system turned on. Soon you be able to share the actual car you built on facebook.

We have a short list of updates and fixes that we need to do yet. As well as several system disabled, such as the ordering system and the Save/Load feature. We also have not completed our arrow key movement feature yet. Right now you can only use your mouse to move around. Note, you can use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out. We also have a hand full of features I have not listed here, but I hope that your feedback can help us decide on what to focus on first.

I would love to see people post photos of your virtual car here in this post. It is very easy to do. When you are using the program you can "take a screenshot". This will save photos in your "My Photos" bar. Click on "My Photos" and click on your saved photos to open them. By coping the photo address out of the preview image you can use that to post photos to the forum. We hope to have a much better way of sharing photos with a pre-formated "img" code link so can easily copy and paste it to your own forum post. Example below.

Here are some examples photos taken right from the program:

Big thanks to both Dave's at FFR, and to my local FFR group for being my personal test team.
    During this beta process I will be hosting the program at 3D Auto Sports website.
    Last edited by 3D FFR; 03-13-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man. Wish this was available when I ordered my kit. The paint feature alone is a real hoot! Nice work!

Mario

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

This is really frikkin slick! Body:718aad, Stripe:e5e4dc

Mario

Post Thanks / Like

Just like I ordered it

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's mine if I were to build another. The gray would be a medium silver/gray and the stripes would be more yellow.

One thing I think FFR is lacking is a choice in frame color, maybe just two black and gray (like the 15th Anniversary frame color). It would be worth the extra expense for me to have this option versus having it done myself.

By the way, really cool app!
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This program is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your gonna run out of server space for picture storage!!!!!!

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    HUGE congrats on this beta program Mike! I am really impressed with what you did since last year. (I can hear Mike driving his Mk4 already!). Keep up the good work and also thanks to Mad dog for his help.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's mine...

One thing I noticed was that in the Engine/Transmission Mount package section there was no, "351" based selection option.

FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Mike! Love seeing these guys use the program and post their images.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike and Mad Dog-

What an awesome program!! You all have truly outdone yourselves!! WOW!

It would be awesome to be able to add meatballs and decals as an upgrade in the future.

But WOW, it is seriously cool to be able to "see" my ideas in the computer staring back at me. Well done to your team Mike!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great comments guys. I am happy to see everyone is enjoying the program.

To Crawleyscobra. I will check into the 351, I was under the impression that the 302 mounts were used for the 351. If that is so, I might have to point that out. Also, I have a question for you, what kind of video card do you have Crawley?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great. I have a decision to make on colour and this will certainly help
    One FFR and one VFR. I like symmetry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

I thought of something that will make life miserable for you, but might be helpful for the builders.

Would it be possible to use manufacturer's color codes -- (the ability to actually type in the codes or noun names) in for the paint section? This way, we can see what an actual color code would look like, and use either the name "Wimbledon white," etc. or the color code PPG-12345, and see it reproduced on the computer. I know this is a herculean task, but it might be pretty cool, as it would be an actual reproduction of the color being considered, versus the closest we can get with the color wheel you have provided.

Don't mean to make life more challenging, but it would be pretty cool...

Still blown away by the work you have done!!

Regards,

Steve

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve, You are a mind reader. We are in the process of developing a "Factory Five" line of colors with a major paint supplier that we have worked with in the past. It would be cool if these future FFR colors and others of OEM codes were part of it.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve, I actually checked back a few months ago to see show we could convert the RGB value into a PPG color. I didn't have much success finding any thing that could help us turn a 6 digit code into a properly formatted 5 digit PPG code. I will add it to the list to look back into.

A good follow up question might be, can the RGB color be converted at the PPG store?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3D FFR View Post
    Thanks Steve, I actually checked back a few months ago to see show we could convert the RGB value into a PPG color. I didn't have much success finding any thing that could help us turn a 6 digit code into a properly formatted 5 digit PPG code. I will add it to the list to look back into.

A good follow up question might be, can the RGB color be converted at the PPG store?

Just my two cents, you could go to the trouble of translating rgb to paint codes but nobody's screen would render the colors correctly anyway. Professional graphics people have to have their (very expensive) screens recalibrated very frequently to get the colors right.

BTW, can't wait to see a Coupe version. Preferably before I get to paint (that should give y'all at least five years at my current pace).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great comments guys. I am happy to see everyone is enjoying the program.

To Crawleyscobra. I will check into the 351, I was under the impression that the 302 mounts were used for the 351. If that is so, I might have to point that out. Also, I have a question for you, what kind of video card do you have Crawley?
    I have an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series...

Regarding the 351 mount question... When I ordered my kit from FFR they asked if I was installing a 302 or a 351 so they would install the correct engine mounts... Or at least I thought they did. I could be wrong, my memory is'nt that good any more.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The complete kit form shows the same 302/351 mounts, but the difference may be in the exhaust headers, because of the taller(1.27") block height of the 351. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yup, I am in the process of going back and forth on color decision this helps a ton!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic program. x2 on color decision - but it really just confirmed my choice

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. Are you going to add FFR other cars as well. I just ordered a coupe.
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    please amke one for the 33!!! ppppplllllluuuuuzzzzeeeeeee!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a GREAT idea. I hope you plan to do this for the other FFR offerings as well.

Since it's a beta, I'm assuming you want feedback. If you don't, let me know and I'll shut up. See screenshots below.

first.jpgbrakeselection.jpg
    That's all I have time for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really nice. It is a great way to go over what you are buying.

Having said that,. my suggestion would be to do two things. For each part or upgrade add some kind of buying link. There are parts/option I would like to get for my build and would love to be able to just click on them to order them. Such as upgraded brake system, side pipes, etc.

the Second suggestion is turn this into a Build MANUAL.

Just as you have it here. List each part that comes in the kit, and a diagram of exactly how and where to attach the part. After your customer has completed each step, and move onto the next step each completed step is added to the build. shown just as it is when you select an option on the current site.

It is already too late for me,.. but, I am telling you that would be a TREMENDOUS help for future customers. I swear, with such a build manual I could have completed my build myself in a couple of months rather than a couple of years.
    btw, it could still be helpful to those of us who are finished or near finishing as a reference manual.
    Please remember, not all your customers are gear heads who know all parts.
    This would be a GREAT build manual.
    Last edited by Rome; 02-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    jimgood, thank you very much for find these errors. I am much better at crafting 3D models. I will correct these issue as soon as I unlock the database. If/when you find more, you are welcome to post it here, or just message me. Thanks!

Rome. We have a way to show a link to the FFR parts catalog that currently we are not using. This system will allows the user to click and go to the parts page for the selected part. That seems like a great way to help someone who already owns the roadster and rebuilds their own car in the program. It is a great way to test out what any upgrade might look on your car. A good example might be the sun visors. You might have never considered to put them on your car, until you actually saw them on your virtual car.

Your second question is a great idea, and I considered including it into the program a very long time ago. I agree, that would be very cool, but it would required a great deal of detail and documentation. If we were to create that type of feature, I would suggest to have it in another program. Creating two programs, one is for creating the car, the other would on how to build it.

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick note - I updated the body paint material. For anyone who has already run the program you might have to press "Ctrl+F5" to force the webpage to load the latest version.

Post Thanks / Like
    jimgood, thank you very much for find these errors. I am much better at crafting 3D models. I will correct these issue as soon as I unlock the database. If/when you find more, you are welcome to post it here, or just message me. Thanks!
    No problem. If there's one thing I'm good at it's finding other people's mistakes. Seriously, let me know if you want help with editing. I'm pretty good at bridging the gap between gear head output and soccer mom input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing tool! Are you thinking about other options down the road, like being able to remove the roll bars completely, or under car exhaust? And I'll thow in another vote for a '33 Hotrod version too.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Been playing around with it this afternoon and found a couple of quirks with the hoodscoop option.

First, I think the pictures on the selections are switched.

hood_options.jpg

Second, when painting the car (at least the car I did) the hood ended up a different color than the scoop and the rest of the body.

hood_paint.jpg

Definitely a cool tool though!

Post Thanks / Like

Rome. We have a way to show a link to the FFR parts catalog that currently we are not using. This system will allows the user to click and go to the parts page for the selected part. That seems like a great way to help someone who already owns the roadster and rebuilds their own car in the program. It is a great way to test out what any upgrade might look on your car. A good example might be the sun visors. You might have never considered to put them on your car, until you actually saw them on your virtual car.
    Exactly,
    Your second question is a great idea, and I considered including it into the program a very long time ago. I agree, that would be very cool, but it would required a great deal of detail and documentation. If we were to create that type of feature, I would suggest to have it in another program. Creating two programs, one is for creating the car, the other would on how to build it.
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to make it a separate website/program. Please consider doing so. I am convinced that it would
    A) Make the build process much easier
    B)Make the build process much more enjoyable
    c)Make the build process much quicker
    D) increase the sales of FFR due to people seeing they can do it
    E) be helpful to those who bought their cars from others
    F)be helpful to those who already build their cars as a reference
    G)Be helpful to those who want to make upgrades
    H)Just be cool

As for the details that would go into the program? Besides the CAD drawings of the parts (which you apparently already have) and possible animation, I am sure the members here would be more then willing to help. For example You can make a request asking for the step by step process of doing the front suspension and I bet you would get plenty of responses which you could use for the program. You would just have to use the parts from the parts lists which you already have and show the process of the parts being put together just as you do with this site.

You don't understand,.. for a guy like me,.. and I'm sure I'm not alone,.. having such a too would have been a GOD send

Thanks for your consideration and for the GREAT site you already put together.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Rome; 02-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, am I mistaken? on this page,.. I think you have it backwards. The photo without the hood scoop is labeled "Add hood scoop to my Roadster" while the picture does not have a hood scoop. (small picture on the left)
    and the picture with the hood scoop says "do not add the hood scoop"
    http://www.3dautosports.com/ffr/beta/
    check it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rome. I have fixed most of the hood issues.

I just added an update that I plan to only run for a few days. I had several messages asking about a background that looks like a garage. Part of our advanced features will have a garage model as an optional background. This garage model was left over from my original demo and I just updated the program with it. As of right now, you can not disable it. But soon we will add a way for you to enable/disable it.

Right now, you can pass though the walls such. This is will be normal until we add the advanced movement feature.

Last edited by 3D FFR; 02-11-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's another suggestion for the brake upgrade page. After selecting either of the independent rear end selections on the previous page, having the description say "standard 8.8" makes me think "uh, oh. It's going to add the wrong axle to my order even though the price went up".
    fivelug.jpg

Also, on the rear end selection page, I would use color to highlight only the parts that are actually included with the options. Otherwise, I'm thinking, "I get the entire rear axle with my selection".

If it's possible, it would be a good idea to change the mouse cursor to the "waiting" cursor when selections are made so that the user has a clear indication that something is happening (think you can do this in Javascript if it's not generated by the tool you're using). If you have a really high speed connection, it might not make a difference, but I have a **tty connection and it's hard to know whether anything is happening sometimes.
    Last edited by jimgood; 02-11-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the selection of the standard vs complete kit:
    completedesc.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great tool!

Here's my virtual car:

And the real thing:

I'd love to see this tool expand to the other Factory Five models, especially the 33 Hot Rod.

David
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobradavid, that is AWESOME! I could not help myself and I had to give this a try: I used #341827 for my body color.

Thank you Jim! I am going to fix these things right now.
    Last edited by 3D FFR; 02-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was curious about different powdercoating on the frame. It is really easy to test different color combinations that you might not have thought of otherwise. I don't know if FFR offers other colors in powdercoat. It might be like Henry Ford: "You can have any color you want as long as it is black". But I'm sure this program will make that request more common after people have had time to play with it. After this is incorporated into the process, people will probably wonder how they got by without it. It just seems to be a natural progression in the process (so many visually oriented people) . Thanks for your hard work! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    This very cool. It doesn't help me deciding on a color though.

MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos/renders ClemsonS197. Could you message me the type of video card you have, thanks!

Rome, I wanted to thank you for your post and I am flattered you think I am using the cad data. But I had to create all of the art from scratch. Back when I started this, the MK4 didn't exist so I have had to make lots of changes including a new body since I started this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, For the tech impaired (me) how do you get past picking color to a screenshot/photo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast