Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rear shock mount sizing problem

Post Thanks / Like

rear shock mount sizing problem

I found building this 33, the manual is only a general guide. often things do not fit without modification.
    Eample: rear shock on 33, upper mount. Says add 2 0.675 spacers to upper shock mount yields 1.968 in wide which is too wide to fit the spacing of upper mount flanges on car which is 1.754-NO FIT
    So I guess i will put spacers on lathe and cut them down to fit. constantly have to do stuff like this.
    Rant over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait until you start fitting the doors, trunk, and hood. That’s where the fun starts.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, lot's of fitting. And the farther off the Rez you go, the more customization is required. I thought buying a "kit car" was going to save me time and money. It took more time and money than if I'd started from scratch. But facing challenges everyday and developing corrections is all part of the experience and the fun.

Have fun with your build and think of all the stories you'll be able to tell. Remember, if it was easy anybody could do it.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the twin mounting points like that - shocks and suspension, need to be widened just a bit. Certainly if you need a lot more room, reducing the spacers could be needed, but I followed a technique found here (can't recall who to credit with this): use a thin long bolt, two washers and two nuts, put the bolt through with washer/nut/nut/washer between the two mounting points, and turn the nuts outward to expand the opening. Using a caliper to measure, expand a bit more than needed (it springs back a bit when released) then take that out and the parts install much easier.
    This helped me tremendously.