BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2/24/2012 - Kooks Custom GTM Exhaust System - Ready to Take Orders!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 2/24/2012 - Kooks Custom GTM Exhaust System - Ready to Take Orders!

Well, the last run of the Kooks Exhaust is complete and I am ready to begin taking orders for the next run. Thanks to all of the guys who ordered last time!

I've worked out a deal with Kooks to reduce the order/run quantity to 5. Out of those 5, most likely I'll be ordering one or two systems to keep in stock until they are sold......then start a new run of 5. So the end result will be in reality that we will only need 3 or 4 confirmed orders for each run, which should speed up the process considerably.

This system is all Stainless Steel, and includes long-tube headers (with O2 bungs welded in), cats, X-Pipe, mufflers, tips and mounting hardware, clamps, and brackets. The main advantages would be increased performance/hp in switching from the stock exhaust manifolds to a long-tube header/X-pipe design. A close second would be exhaust note. This system gives a much more exotic sound than the stock manifolds with the FFR provided H-pipe. Third would be that it's all Stainless Steel, so it doesn't need to be coated (like the FFR exhaust) if you don't want to, and it won't turn into a ball of rust. Yes, you can ceramic coat them if you like. Fourth......well it's just a sexy looking exhaust system!

Price for the whole system is $2083 plus shipping (which averaged around $70 for the last order) for all LS engines EXCEPT the LS7. For the LS7 the price is $2233 for the system plus shipping. This is due to additional work involved in the header flanges for the LS7. Many of you may note that the prices have gone up since the last run. This is due to both an increase in price on the systems from Kooks and also the fact that the supplier they were getting their exhaust tips from can no longer supply the same quality of parts they have in the past.....so Kooks had to switch suppliers and the exhaust tips are now $90 more than they were in the past.

There is only one difference between the "standard" (LS1/LS3/LS6) headers and the LS7 headers, and that is the header flange port shape. The "standard" headers have round ports and the LS7 headers have D shaped ports. Both the "standard" and LS7 headers use 1-7/8" primaries into a 3" collector. The "standard" headers/system WILL fit and work on an LS7 with the difference in HP between running the LS7 headers and the "standard" headers being somewhere in the range of about 2 hp. So yes, if you have an LS7, and you'd be happy to trade the loss of 2hp for a gain of $138 in your pocket, just order the "standard" system for your LS7. This is also the reason that the systems I will be ordering to keep in stock will be "standard" systems and not LS7 systems.

If you just want to order the headers and not the complete exhaust system, you can do that also. Price for the "standard" headers (fits LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6) will be $1130 + shipping and the LS7 headers will be $1280 + shipping. Once again, the "standard" headers will fit and work on the LS7 also.

I can also offer the headers or complete system ceramic coated. Price for coating the headers only is $294, or the entire system for $650.

If you're interested in ordering, please send me a PM with your name, address, phone, email and engine type (LS1, LS3, LS7, etc), and I will put you on the list for the next run. As soon as I have the 3 or 4 orders on my list, I will contact everyone for payment and turn the order in to Kooks. As of this run, I will also be collecting a $500 deposit to get your name on the order list. I have not done this in the past, but on the last 3 runs, I have had people back out at the last minute, leaving me holding the bag. Basically, I make an announcement here that I'm turning the orders in to Kooks, then contact everyone for payment, and if you don't pay, I have several people who have paid and want their system to get on order....which means I have to foot the bill for the system you decided you didn't want at the last minute. My boss/accountant/wife does not like that very much.

I would also like to strongly urge you to be sure of what you want to order when you order it. For every order we turn in, it seems we always have several guys who want to change their order at the last minute and add ceramic coating or delete the cats or go to an LS7 system when they first ordered an LS1 system, etc..... This creates a HUGE headache for both Kooks and I as we try to keep up with who wants what, what they've paid vs what they owe us....and what we've paid Kooks vs what we owe them, etc.

Here are some pics of what you get. Please note that the system in these photos has been ceramic coated. The systems also come with all of the hardware needed to install the system---gaskets, nuts, bolts, clamps, mounting brackets that clamp to the mufflers (brackets are available to mount to G50 transaxles available on my website and sold seperately).

And this is what the system looks like when it's NOT ceramic coated:

Please note that you will require a couple new spark plug wires to clear the headers on a couple of the cylinders. Here is what I've found that works:

Taylor custom makes them for Street and Performance in Arkansas. Part # TA-2326-BK (black) or BL (blue). Made for LS1/6 with 135degree boots.
    A set is $102.95 plus shipping. Or if you want just one or two, they will sell them individually ($12.95 each). Talk to Mark at (479)394-5711.

Thanks!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    And here are some videos (sorry for the poor vid quality)

Youtube Video:

http://youtu.be/gJBAgw7h6Hs
    Last edited by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC; 02-24-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bumping this up to give some advice. It seems on every order there are always a few guys who are in a hurry to get their Kooks system so they can finish with their car or planning their build out, dyno-ing their engine with the Kooks system installed, etc...... I guess what I'm telling you is this: Don't wait until the last minute to order your Kooks exhaust! If you think you are going to need this system in the next 4 months.....the time to order is NOW! I don't want to sound pushy or like I'm being a hard-a$$ about this.....that is NOT my intent here at all......just trying to explain things from my end.

I've had several guys tell me I need to always keep these in stock and sell them as orders come in. That all sounds great......except that with the combination of guys who just want headers, or just want the X-Pipe, or want ceramic coating on the whole exhaust or just the headers, or they don't want the cats, or they want different exhaust tips installed, or they want the LS7 headers......at any rate, in order to take care of everyones needs all the time I'd have to order and sit on about $50k worth of exhaust systems. Now if these were exhaust systems that fit a Mustang or something like that, where there are hundreds of thousands of them on the road, it would be one thing, but when there have only been 400 or so GTM's sold, and probably less than 1/3 of them on the road......well, it's not exactly a huge market....which is why I can not afford to sit on $50k worth of exhaust systems for years on end, hoping that they might sell sometime in the future.

So, once again, if you know you are going to want the Kooks exhaust for your GTM, do not wait until the week before you need it to call me and order it. ;-) A good time to order might be the day you put your GTM kit on order with FFR. :-) Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for Shane, and me.
    Jump in, the waters fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 orders in.....3 to go! Thanks guys!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Need One more order guys. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for comparison, I just spent ~$1300 on stainless tubing and flanges/clamps alone. No headers, mufflers, cats, or tips. This is a GREAT deal that Shane offers. If I could have made it fit, I would have gone with this Kooks system. Unfortunately, due to the requirements of the sactioning bodies of SCCA and NASA and the placement of some extra tubes in the engine compartment, we are unable to use the Kooks headers or other pieces.

For a "stock" GTM, I really see no other option. It is reasonably priced, AND a great performance enhancing product.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crash! I do remember you posting something similar before when you were working on an exhaust system. Anyone who has tried to purchase anything stainless steel should know how pricey just the raw materials are. For a full-custom bolt-in system, it is pretty tough to beat!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Orders are going to be turned in to Kooks Tomorrow! Thanks for the orders, guys! You will be getting an invoice for the total once I get the shipping totals from Kooks.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    2 down 3 to go.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bumping this back up to let everyone know that the last run has been filled and we are ready to start again. We have one order already, so need at least 3 more. If you know you're going to be in the market for this exhaust in the next 6 months, I'd suggest ordering now! Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this to the top. We are needing one more order to complete the current run. If you're looking to get this system, now is the time.....or you may be waiting a few months for the next run. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this up to the top to let everyone know that we're taking orders for the next run. Have one confirmed order, 2 prospective orders. Now is the time to order if you're wanting a set. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    We are turning orders in to Kooks this week for this run. If you want a Kooks system anytime in the next several months, now it the time to put in your order! Thanks everyone!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC