Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power brakes and steering

Post Thanks / Like

Question Power brakes and steering

Hello,

I have a Mark IV with a 1991 Mustang GT 5.0 EFI in it. It current has manual disc (front) brakes and manual steering. While it's entertaining as all get out, the muscle and finesse required to drive the car around the streets of LA (and the hills) is a little much.

I've read about the hydroboost combination for power steering and brake (http://www.hydratechbraking.com/). Has anyone used this combination? Or would a basic used part off a 90/91 Mustang do the trick?

Opinions and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Damon

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know what rack you are using now? If its a depowered mustang rack, then a true manual rack will be so much better. Do you know if your brake pedal was modified for power brakes? If not
    , that would help too. Adding power brakes and steering on a finished car is labor intensive but can be done
    Hydra boost may be the best way for you to go. Especially if you already have a power rack installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or there is the electric over hydraulic solution of the Toyota pump and the Mustang GT power rack. If you then want speed sensitive adjustable steering, this is available also...

http://www.myraceshop.com/Power_Stee...ontroller.html

That wouldn't work for the brakes though, but you should be able to tune the brake system to get what you want for feel. You may need to try different pad compounds and lever ratios on the brake pedal, as well as possibly different master cylinder sizes.

It's all doable.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Or would a basic used part off a 90/91 Mustang do the trick?
    In a word, yes.

As Michael Everson said, a bit labor intensive, but the stock donor stuff works fine. If the brake pedal was not modded, the power brakes would be a good deal. If you go stock donor power brakes, you would need to cut the frame to fit the booster in. Guys have done the job through the side body vent.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...

Post Thanks / Like
    fastfreddiesfabrications.com has a complete PS system using an electric pump.Breeze has a vacuum booster system for the brakes.Before you do anything though, get under the dash and figure if your brake pedal has been modded for manual brakes. If it has, it might be worth it to stay w/ manual brakes cause that pivot bolt is near impossible to get out of a finished car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MKIV still in progres of Build. options I decided on when I bought the kit were:

1. IRS
    2. P Steering
    3. Hydralic clutch
    4 Power assist brakes

I have the powered rack from Breeze, have a source for the hydralic slave which is "Modern Driveline" will probably try a 3/4 " master wilwood.
    For P Brakes am looking at Whitby Power Kit.

I was going to post a Brake effort Poll to see what the feedback for real users such as yourself relating to brake pressure effort.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.