Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I killed my dash today

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Angry I killed my dash today

I've been working on the roadster trying to get it ready to pick up the painted body so today I was hoping to do the dash install. I covered it earlier this week in felt and a couple of days ago covered the face in faux leather from JoAnns fabrics.

I purchased some weldwood contact cement and applied it to the edges and the back of the dash, waited for 30 minutes as directed and tried to fold the dash covering over the back of the dash. Nothing. No stick at all. So I sprayed it with 3m contact cement, waited for it to get tacky and tried to fold it over the dash edge again. NO GO. It pulled the weldwood cement right off the back of the dash.

I got this overwhelming desire to do something incredibly stupid so I picked the dash up and it accidently hit the ground with tremendous force, twisting it and basically ruining it. (No pics, I wasn't in the pic taking mood at the time)

Oops.

I immediately called Glenn Evans and made arrangements to ship my destroyed dash to him. He is making me a new one from thicker aluminum in my pattern and crinkle-coat powdercoating it.

S@*#w the "leather" dash! AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

I feel better now...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL I can relate, rest assured Glen will make you a beautiful dash, on a side note, I always have a 2x4 and a big hammer to focus my negative energy on trust me it works and saves me A LOT of money.
    Don
    FFR-4000, CHP 408ci./600hp, Wayne's Stack F.I. & Tec-3, T-600, IRS, Smith gauges, 17" Pin-Drive wheels, Whitby's rag top & paint by Ken Pike (SRP).

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I can totally relate. I to made the mistake of trying the Weldwood contact cement as recommended by many. Worst mistake I ever made. The Weldwood melted the foam on the back of my leather. I salvaged the leather and knowing I will eventually redo my dash with new foam on the back when I go to paint makes me feel a bit better but......................If I had it to do all over again I would use the Scotch 33 Adhesive from the start and be done with it. Sorry you had to go through this all. Hopefully others will learn from "our" mistakes. NEVER USE WELDWOOD CONTACT CEMENT TO ADHERE YOUR DASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I sure hope everyone heard that.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    There's got to be a dash comisery club... I fought the same battle and about lost my religion somewhere around five times while attempting to cover (then recover) my dash!

On the second round, I used 3M Supertrim (forum suggestion). If I ever redo the dash again, I would seriously consider the powder coat option.
    One of the last Mark II's, FFR complete date 5/8/04, delivery date 5/23/04, donor-'93 Mustang GT. Yes, that is me in my Avatar. Paint done by Da Bat! It looks killer! Drive it like you stole it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not going to help you at this point David but as an FYI for other builders 3M Super 77 works well. For the folded over 180 degree wraps such as at the bottom lip or dash ends I lay wax paper over the vinyl then use 1/4" wood latice strips and clamp it with either spring or "C" clamps for a half hour or so.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried the 3m and screwed up my dash. It just would not stick, so I paid a pro $80 for new material and a install. 4 years and going strong.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Weldwood, well its for wood.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi David,

I used the 3M Super 77 adhesive and the edges promptly let loose a couple of hours after I used wood wedges to hold initially. I think in our area of AZ, there is probably a humidity factor and heat of course. I may have also not cleaned the edges as good as required. I forgot about it for a while then went thru the ritual again and it worked. I think these little setbacks happen a lot more than reported. But I'm sure you will be happier with the new dash.

I'm glad it wasn't something that went wrong with the body. It must be true when they say you should not, "P***off a Wookie!!!!!" WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, my success with Super 77 is with it applied to BOTH surfaces.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, Here's what I used to attach the supplied covering. Cleaned aluminum with brake cleaner, sprayed & waited 15 min to get tacky, then pressed flat with heavy catalogs overnight. No looseness or lifting after 1 1/2 years. Jim ( Also applied lightly to foam surface)

Last edited by cobrajj; 03-11-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: additional information added
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, hit and miss....some get lucky, some don't
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    stall tactics..........Dave just doesn't want to be done with his car.........it's ok Dave, even when it's finished it will never be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished my dash using the 3M 77 and it worked great. Easy to work with and tacky as all get out. I was full of anxiety after ready posts like this and others, worried a bunch for no reason at all.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1075737...82552202053650

Put me down for works and would use it again. BTW, the weather in Michigan this week was above 80 when I completed this. I turned the heat on in the garage to 68 so that it would stay warm overnight when the temp dropped down to 55.
    Last edited by PhoneGUy; 03-23-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    ----------
    FFR7469 MKIV 15th Anniversary Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGUy View Post
    Just finished my dash using the 3M 77 and it worked great.
    You just can't go wrong with 3M-77 or 3M-90 for ease of use and performance.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure the powdercoating will look nice and should be pretty durable. Wish you the best.