Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Design ideas-benchmarking from the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Design ideas-benchmarking from the best

So, lets get some ideas from cars we love to inspire those with skills to draft up body designs. If I had the money, I'd have to have an RWB (Rauh Welt Begriff) Porsche built. This is a Japanese company of all places who specialize in building wide, low track day/street 930/964 Porsches. What I'd like to show you is some of the features that make these cars so special.

I'd love to see this kit have some wide fenders or even bulging fenders/flares. Look at the Cobra kits as well, that body has vuluptuous curves and fenders.

I dig some of the features/lines of the front of this slantnose. I also like the louveredish vents in the front fenders.

When (not if) I build my FFR MR kit, it'll be low and have wide 17 or 18 wheels with wide meats.

So, post up pictures of exterior features you'd like to see.
    Last edited by subyrod; 02-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I searched "modern concept porsche 916" and found this;

Not sure what it is but I really like its proportions. Man, that's good lookin.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the new modern 916
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some side views of the italian red horses of past and present.
    Last edited by subyrod; 02-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subyrod View Post
    I searched "modern concept porsche 916" and found this;

Not sure what it is but I really like its proportions. Man, that's good lookin.
    918 rsr

Post Thanks / Like
    I think getting some design cues from Le mans style prototypes, roof lines, air intakes and the such is a good start

Post Thanks / Like
    Good post, I, too, love the look of the wide body design. It makes it look more powerful, when the car has to make more room for the large rear tires. It would be cool if the new car could incorporate the wide body look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something similar in concept from Europe

YES! Roadster Boasting Audi 3.2 V6 engine.

http://www.yes-clubsport.de/

YES! Roadster Boasting Audi 3.2 V6 engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like that little audi powered roadster. I think the nose could be a little longer, but I like the general shape and bulbous/wide fenders with rear vent/intake in front of the rear fender.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes something like the Audi roAdster with Kouros' front end design. Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redsharK View Post
    I think getting some design cues from Le mans style prototypes, roof lines, air intakes and the such is a good start

This is SWEET!

LOVE the front end! Like the nose/cockpit of a fighter jet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed, very nice lines. Do you know who's making that proto?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was the Mazda Furai or something like that. A running concept car from a couple years back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Someone mentioned putting LED lights in. I think the tails on this 918 are LED... what I really like about this rear end is the diffuser, but I'd make the tail lights a simpler round shape.

I like this 3/4 rear view. But those door vent lines would add cost possibly. Although, once the molds are developed, laying glass is laying glass (for the most part?).

I liked the lines of this Chevron, not sure if that's a kit or just a concept at this point. Just found it on the net.

Of course, I will always love the 914, especially the 916 with its wider fender flares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to copy, but as inspiration Lotus has some awesome designs that are both beautiful and functional.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking - Ferrari Zobin concept:

http://www.automotto.org/entry/ferra...-by-formula-1/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is that a 1 seater? Too much F1 in there for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's a single seater. Do you really want someone with you screaming, "No, no, Slow down! We're going to die!!!!" when you're running your new wheels on the Tail of the Dragon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey new member here, signed up to participate in the design challenge. I hear a lot of "ooo you should build this" which is great and all but the cars being highlighted have their own design heritage within their respected manufacturers. Has anyone thought about the lineage that FFR is trying to establish with a new model? I see the GT-M as a great start and a building block for something to inspire the next gen of cars to come out of FFR, to try and establish their own design language, not a a Stratos not a Porsche not a Lotus, an FFR design inspired by their own content. I'm not trying to squander ideation and discussion but I have yet to hear anything about FFRs previous cars, so far everyone wants a cheaper variant of something that already exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I agree with you. I think people in this thread are just throwing out some ideas of where we should maybe get some design ideas from, not make a copy of an already existing product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know, and I agree, no harm in getting excited(which I am and everyone here) but to site a random car that was produced by by a company that perhaps has up to almost a century's worth of evolution in its design is really taking it out of context. To site lets say an Lotus Evora, you have to look at everything that came before it to make it relevant and special. Or the 918, is it a nice design, sure but what gives it that special soul and energy is how Porsche tied its design back to the 906-917 era cars. Just putting some discussion out there.
    Last edited by Rotr8; 02-20-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotr8 View Post
    I know, and I agree, no harm in getting excited(which I am and everyone here) but to site a random car that was produced by by a company that perhaps has up to almost a century's worth of evolution in its design is really taking it out of context. To site lets say an Lotus Evora, you have to look at everything that came before it to make it relevant and special. Or the 918, is it a nice design, sure but what gives it that special soul and energy is how Porsche tied its design back to the 906-917 era cars. Just putting some discussion out there.
    Every car that FFR makes is loosely based on other companies designs and concepts in one form or another. and I am ok with that.
    http://www.factoryfive.com/
    So essentially your point is meaningless here :-) The owner likes the Stratos and has stated such.

If they decide to build a Stratos or K1 or Furai inspired wrx powered kit car, count me in if it matches or exceeds the previous quality of FFR's products.
    A cars real soul and energy comes from the chassis and drive train. The concept FFR is pursuing is awesome.
    A nice body design is like a little black skirt on a pr0n star.... everyone looks and thinks "mmmm nice, you know she performs exceptionally"

I would like to see your original ideas for the body design contest :-)

Red
    Last edited by redsharK; 02-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I guess I see your point. And as a designer myself Im never satisfied with accepting replication of whats already been done. Im familiar with FFRs designs being exceptional replicas(inspired) but Im wondering if its the case where there wasnt a previous design that considered and pushed forward from scratch or if it is like you stated something that the founders wanted in the first place? I tend to think not or they wouldn't have opened it up for a competition. Also another point is that it is truly difficult is to design something original without critics saying "well it looks like a ----------" becuase there are already so many cars out there.

I will show my designs as the competition proceeds Im finishing up the first and working on a second right now. As of yet the competition is pretty open ended, which is good. Im just wondering how long the comp will last(end date) we know it starts on the 1st and I believe I read that Dave would allow for a few months time. We'll see, Im confident that people will like my work, but its hard to tell. People have expectations set in their mind and, and like you said some like the little black dress, while some might prefer something else...
    Last edited by Rotr8; 02-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hearing that Dave and his team are opening the design of their new car to the public is exciting. I agree what's under the skin is what really makes the FFR brand shine; however, looks for a modern sports car are key. I love their 33 and who can't fall in love with the classic roadster, but the lines on the GTM just don't do it for me. Yes the GTM can out perform most exotics; however, the lines of the Chevy C6 surpass it (IMHO). Why? Lots of research. All major manufacturers researched what their future customers want and then come up with a winning design. So what's the future customer base for FFR want? Well hopefully this design contest will tell us. For me, the curves of a 918 or the Le Mans from above at a 9-12k price range would have me placing an order.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the "inspiration" statement but don't underestimate the power of "good lines" The meat and bones will determine if its a performer, which it will be, but there's alot to be said about a provocative design, it is the first impression people will give when they walk up to it, all the great and timeless cars possess both, not one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Throw a windshield on that car and change the hood/headlights slightly and 'we have a winner".

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the basic chassis layout, I think the end result in designs will fall into these style of cars
    Venturi, YES!, the Sbarro pictured above, the K1-attack, stratos and mazda Furai

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the basic chassis layout, I think the end result in designs will fall into these style of cars
    Venturi, YES!, the Sbarro pictured above, the K1-attack, stratos and mazda Furai

I think you're probably right. The trick with these roadster concepts is going to be able to integrate a top and some side windows (as seems to be a stated goal of the design concept) and still keep it looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Rotr8, since I'm not a designer, I'm kind of trying to use what I can find on the net and take pieces of what I like. Those like you who can actually come up with an original design because of your skills and equipment have an edge on me. Can't wait to see what designers will produce. What I worry about is that an original design gets too "crazy", too futuristic. Certain car designs are successful and have that soul and energy you mentioned because of the basic shape. Cars that have lots of lines, vents, scoops, intricasies are overdone and thus ugly. What I was hoping with this thread is that people post in pics or designs of what they think is good lookin' (and functional) to get designers seeing what we like as potential customers.
    If FFR did its own rendition of a stratos, 918, furai, etc, I wouldn't be opposed either. But, truth be told, I think many would like to own something unique. But being unique it MUST, it HAS to look and perform great. You don't wanna ruin a great chassis/drivetrain/driving experience wiht a gaudy/ugly/overdone exterior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a lot people will focus on the front of the car, but I think the sides and rear of the vehicle need to be remembered of what is being used come into play. Those such things as an intercooler fed from side scoops so we don't have to use the small wrx top mount intercooler and can use a bigger intercooler for those that want a few more ponies in their car. Something that can handle wider and bigger wheels and tires instead of 16 and 17 inch varieties, somewhere in the 8.5 to 9.5 wide in the rear. I plan on doing a cosworth build in the 375 range so want meat on the ground. Also figuring a removable top, what about sotrage under the front for said top?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if we are going for replica, the 918 gets my vote. One design that I really want would have wide rear flares, so that I can use a much wider than stock rear tire, with a deep dish rim. I hate that flat face wheel look, I built my MKII with pin drive offset for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by subyrod View Post
    Hey Rotr8, since I'm not a designer, I'm kind of trying to use what I can find on the net and take pieces of what I like. Those like you who can actually come up with an original design because of your skills and equipment have an edge on me. Can't wait to see what designers will produce. What I worry about is that an original design gets too "crazy", too futuristic. Certain car designs are successful and have that soul and energy you mentioned because of the basic shape. Cars that have lots of lines, vents, scoops, intricasies are overdone and thus ugly. What I was hoping with this thread is that people post in pics or designs of what they think is good lookin' (and functional) to get designers seeing what we like as potential customers.
    If FFR did its own rendition of a stratos, 918, furai, etc, I wouldn't be opposed either. But, truth be told, I think many would like to own something unique. But being unique it MUST, it HAS to look and perform great. You don't wanna ruin a great chassis/drivetrain/driving experience wiht a gaudy/ugly/overdone exterior.
    Totally agree subyrod, just for some background, Im a traditional artist. Went to Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) did internships at several independent engineering firms and wound up being hired as the first ever artist within the Government (US Army) to assist in designing future combat equipment and vehicles. Ive been there for 6yrs now, designing for our troops overseas is great, but my ultimate dream would be to see one of my designs rolling down the street. Ive previously partnered with several small automotive companies that are interested in their own bespoke design. I'm a die hard Rotor Head and was offered an opportunity to design for the internationally know Pettit Racing. The owners interest were to design an original car based off the RX7 FDS chassis to compete in time attacks, ALMS, and the Rolex series. He would fund the race team by building road going versions of the race spec car. These designs are 2 yrs old already and the design has been refined and currently being built. Front engine rear RWD 3 Rotor.

The 3/4s of the street versions are on my computer at work The street version doesnt have the fender flares, or the agressive vents in the hood and the side of the bumper behind the oil coolers,,,

REMOVED!

The designs Im doing for this design challenge I feel are much better and refined, Im really excited to share them once the competition opens up

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglow View Post
    I know a lot people will focus on the front of the car, but I think the sides and rear of the vehicle need to be remembered of what is being used come into play. Those such things as an intercooler fed from side scoops so we don't have to use the small wrx top mount intercooler and can use a bigger intercooler for those that want a few more ponies in their car. Something that can handle wider and bigger wheels and tires instead of 16 and 17 inch varieties, somewhere in the 8.5 to 9.5 wide in the rear. I plan on doing a cosworth build in the 375 range so want meat on the ground. Also figuring a removable top, what about sotrage under the front for said top?
    Yeup, I mainly start out with side views, its alot quicker to flush out an overall design, then comes the front and back.
    Last edited by Rotr8; 02-25-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Peugeot has some cool ideas:

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Murtaya - awd front engined wrx based kit car in the uk

http://www.murtaya.com/PicturesVolume4.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    GTM spyder (british kit)

Last edited by redsharK; 02-21-2011 at 03:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rudolph Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    I nominate you Rotr8! You've got some real talent man. Now I wish I could sponsor you or something for the contest. How do we start a thread to vote on designers/designs??

Awesome stuff man!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    I nominate you Rotr8! You've got some real talent man. Now I wish I could sponsor you or something for the contest. How do we start a thread to vote on designers/designs??

Awesome stuff man!!
    +1

While vintage has its place, I'm hoping that this vehicle can inspire something truly unique in a 95" wheelbase. Curves are sexy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast