Thread: Design ideas-benchmarking from the best

Post Thanks / Like

2000hyundai_neos_23 by phyrram, on Flickr

2000hyundai_neos_s1 by phyrram, on Flickr

99seat_formula_1 by phyrram, on Flickr

2001suzuki_gsx-r4 by phyrram, on Flickr

1999_Alfa_Romeo_Centauri_Spider_Design-sketch by phyrram, on Flickr

98plymouth_pronto_spyder_s04 by phyrram, on Flickr

1998_Plymouth_Pronto_Spyder_Concept_Early-Design-Sketch_02 by phyrram, on Flickr

Anybody know a good, free Photoshop type of program to start morphing some of the pics folks have posted into original designs? I could never actually do some of this from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
    This is along the lines of what I was thinking - Ferrari Zobin concept:

http://www.automotto.org/entry/ferra...-by-formula-1/
    If the new car was something like this I would buy one and drive it everyday of the week and twice on sunday. Two seats are nice, but a car like this would so much fun both on the street and on the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seating like the older McClaren F1 would be cool too.....driver center position with two passenger seats on either side slightly behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Renault Alpine revival that was canned. Gullwing doors are a must.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about this one:

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I've been able to afford, so far:

But given a clean drawing board, I'd make a few changes to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    WOW this is realy cool looking!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bizzarrini P538

Last edited by redsharK; 02-23-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Suzuki GSX-r4 (pictures of actual car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Edag show car

pinninfarina enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Idea Era

Post Thanks / Like
    Sbarro GT4

Post Thanks / Like
    Stratos Concept

Post Thanks / Like
    Lambo Ferruccio

Post Thanks / Like
    pininfarina rossa

Post Thanks / Like

"You know that little ball you put on the aerial so you can find your car in a parking lot? That should be on every car! And some things are so snazzy they never go out of style — like tail fins! And bubble domes! And shag carpeting" - H. Simpson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post

"You know that little ball you put on the aerial so you can find your car in a parking lot? That should be on every car! And some things are so snazzy they never go out of style — like tail fins! And bubble domes! And shag carpeting" - H. Simpson
    Kind of like this? The unused awd driveshaft output could be used to run the propeller.

or

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOGIE View Post
    WOW this is realy cool looking!!!
    I like this one as well. Looks good without being too over the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redsharK View Post
    Bizzarrini P538

That's HOT!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    the more I look at these last concept cars the more I like the Attack Design.
    VenomXS - SuperCobra 1
    New Website with All My Projects | Graduation | POM | Awarded by Factory Five ! |Powered by 03 SVT Cobra Terminator|Please Join SoCal FFRs Group !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    the more I look at these last concept cars the more I like the Attack Design.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few

Post Thanks / Like
    Just some thoughts on how produceable some of the shapes and details might be. My biggest fear is that it will look like a kit car. Finding the balance between cost and complexity, OEM type of details and "kit car blandness" is not going to be easy. What's going to make, or break, the styling on this car is designing it for a fiberglass mold from the beginning. To avoid shapes and situtations that would set the design up for failure from the starting gate.

For an OEM look it seems like many smaller molds would give a more professional, finished look. Obviously to meet cost targets, fewer molds would be preferable. Again, the goal is to find the balance in the design phase - not force a balance after a design has been selected.

Too racecar. Ditch some of the racecar details, they make it look busy. Sexy overall shape though.

Very appropriate. Good looking, streetable. The front bumper is low, but still "real-world, real-roads". Looks like it could be done in fiberglass without losing the overal character. Headlights would be hard to do "on the cheap" for a kit. The one thing that stands out as "kit car" on the GTM is the cheap looking light covers.

Good headlight design. Looks good with off-the-shelf projectors, but no risk of possibly "tacky" looking plastic covers. The light nacelles should be easy to do in fiberglass (or even plastic with volume). Raise this to 'real world' level and I can see little wrong with the overall shape. How expensive is a low volume windshield? Or try to use some OEM windshield? On this one you could even eliminate (or make optional) the lower red sections on/near the doors and end up with a "exo" type of look without the frame showing. Again this one looks like it could be done in fiberglass without losing the detail and 'feel' of the car.

This one looks "dumpy" to me, but it also looks very easy to do with fiberglass molds. It already looks like a kit car to me. The lower lip doesn't look feasable for the street. It does look fairly easy to graft on a proper windshield without loosing the 'lines' of the car-something that might be a challange with the above example.

More to come...........

Post Thanks / Like

The windshield doesn't match the car. The hood is long, like a traditional front engined roadster. Lights are busy, but I'm not sure the character of the car would survive if simpler (cheaper) ones were substituted. I like the really short front overhang, makes for a good real world approach angle.

I like this, but I'm having a hard time visualizing it with real wheels and tires. Also looks front engined and not sure the proportions would still look as good if shifted to the

Again, already looks like a kit to me. I do like the headlights without the cover, but maybe paint the housing black for more contrast. Also make it a sperate piece that bolts into the body. The back looks like a Cobra kit. Could be a good thing or a bad thing. FFR does make the Roadster afterall. The 3/4 view (last pic) looks pretty acceptable overall, but nothing sticks out as execptional either.

Total kit car. While a good overall shape, it still just screams kit car. Headlights, again..bad. Now, take the shape and re-detail the car and we might hace something. I really like the hood vents on the bottom pic, at least from that angle. OEM quality side mirrors and "fixing" the side vents would go a long ways. Maybe some subtle side skirts/mouldings to better match the front lip?

Post Thanks / Like
    That orange car just has too much of a "cute" look. I love the Porsche 918's design. It not only looks amazing, but it looks like it would be much better to drive than the more outrageous concept car designs.

I totally agree with using small molds to get an OEM look. Having one big shell can make the car look like it has a vacuum formed Lexan radio controlled car body.

The original McLaren F1 has a good look, and it has aged really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Throw a windshield on that car and change the hood/headlights slightly and 'we have a winner".
    + 1.
    I love the tail lights on that 918 RSR
    And i agree with above post Re: kitcar finish.
    I'm thinking the design needs big side vents due to turbo heat. also radiator config - ? is there space at the back for radiator/ IC?. Also Subaru's traditionally have a top mounted IC + bonnet scoop, are they planning to keep that stock to keep the build costs down also? Unless they are planning some sort of air flow system (ala rampod!) that runs between and beneath the passengers (traditional trans tunnel location). Some insight into chassis design and dimensions would help us here.
    Last edited by labmonkee; 02-24-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: extra Q's added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lot's of great ideas here that can be incorporated into a winning design. I really like the thinking and designs from ROTR8, glad to have you aboard. I'm predicting a great shoot out between ROTR8 and KOUROS. I'm really looking forward to this!
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    My god- there's some REAL ugly cars posted in this thread

How about we sex it up a bit and look at something Pagani Zonda-ish?

race:

or street:
    Last edited by Turboguy; 02-24-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too like the idea of headlight nacelles. Easy to mold, easy to install. Yes, the GTM light covers are lacking and I think detracts from the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    My god- there's some REAL ugly cars posted in this thread
    Amen I thought it was just me.
    This turned into a "every roadster that never saw more than probably a yrs worth of production, from the 1990s"

Thank you T-guy

Post Thanks / Like
    I also see lots of supercars posted. While supercars look great for what they are, they will not translate well to this FFR car.

They are too low and the front overhang is usually too long to be everyday driveable. The wheelbase is 95" and the width is that of a WRX. The long, low, wide styling that works on a supercar, will likely fail miserably when scaled to the FFR required size, including passenger compartment considerations.

And then we all know what the *usual* (not always) result of attempting a "kit car" supercar - the result of ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I also see lots of supercars posted. While supercars look great for what they are, they will not translate well to this FFR car.

They are too low and the front overhang is usually too long to be everyday driveable. The wheelbase is 95" and the width is that of a WRX. The long, low, wide styling that works on a supercar, will likely fail miserably when scaled to the FFR required size, including passenger compartment considerations.

And then we all know what the *usual* (not always) result of attempting a "kit car" supercar - the result of ugly.
    +1 - well said

Post Thanks / Like
    Hell I like this one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOGIE View Post
    Hell I like this one
    X2 I'll build that

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite overall design today is the 918. Modern & classic without being too kit, too exotic or too bland. I also like Lotus' newly proposed design language. The lotus and porsche are both forward thinking designs IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion for design concepts

I really hope the design is something daily driveable.

That means I want a windshield and a roof, and windows and it has to be street legal.

Besides the Lancia Stratos already mentioned, I like the design of these compact cars:

Lotus Evora

Mc Laren MP4-12C

Artega GT

Tesla Roadster

While I don't want a copy of any of them, I hope they can serve as inspiration for a truly modern and fun design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maserati Birdcage

maserati.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
    I really hope the design is something daily driveable.

That means I want a windshield and a roof, and windows and it has to be street legal.

Besides the Lancia Stratos already mentioned, I like the design of these compact cars:

Lotus Evora

Mc Laren MP4-12C

Artega GT

Tesla Roadster

While I don't want a copy of any of them, I hope they can serve as inspiration for a truly modern and fun design.
    Agree with you 100%. Also looking for DD-able, weather-tight top. Also like the 918 (esp coupe), the recent Lotii, and the pics you posted are the best examples of inspiriation I've yet seen. Agree that I don't want a copy of any of these, just something along these lines.

I'd like to see more angles of that Artega GT.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 918 is a current Porsche design concept, I think they would be more than a tad upset if FFR made a low cost version.

The idea of this thread is to discuss "Design ideas-benchmarking from the best" that will work within the specs that David Smith has stated.

I too want a design I can use as a daily driver, but I am also fine with storing it for the winter.
    It also needs to be girlfriend friendly as far as access and her wanting to be seen in it and maybe even drive it.
    Nothing too snobbish or outlandish looking like some super cars are and NOT too feminine like a Miata.
    It also has to NOT freak out the insurance companies and agents or it will fail.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast