BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Design ideas-benchmarking from the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redsharK View Post
    The 918 is a current Porsche design concept, I think they would be more than a tad upset if FFR made a low cost version.
    Of course, but we're talking about 'inspiration' here, right? I see no reason why the 918, and other cars as well, couldn't serve as inspiration. The GTM isn't a rip-off of a GT-40, but it appears to have at least been in mind when it was designed. The GTM is an original design, and looks fantastic. There were probably a few designs that helped inspire it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, but I am really hoping there is a nice original design or 2 in the contest.
    I want a car that isn't going to make me stand out like a sore thumb in my work parking lot, but still looks good.
    The K1 is a nice looking car, but it looks like a $50k+ super car and screams "HEY LOOK AT ME!". :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    The GTM is an original design, and looks fantastic. There were probably a few designs that helped inspire it.
    You mean like the VBM 4000 GTC
    DP
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Damn I tend to think Ive seen almost every car out there, but never seen the VBM GTC, or maybe assumed it was a GTM in the first place. I was thinking GT40 and Mosler primarily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to see it look like it is built to compete with a Porsche Cayman. Nice clean, stylish lines and nothing too over the top. Coincidentally the FFR car has a wheelbase and powertrain layout very similar to the Cayman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Along the lines of practicality (also spelled - cheapness) I've seen a couple of folks suggest roll up windows. That not only suggests cranking mechanisms (electric), but glass, rubber seals, etc. So where to get these from?

Hmmmm ---- the donor Subaru?

Well, I suspect that makes for OK sightlines from the driver's seat. But it also tends to define (or force?) some of the body lines.

Am I out of line here? We gotta get glass from somewhere and it may not be cheap, otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would prefer new glass(or polycarbonate) if anything(In terms of a longer door). Nothing kills the looks of a coupe like shorter Saloon/Sedan door proportions.
    Last edited by Rotr8; 02-25-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Anybody know a good, free Photoshop type of program to start morphing some of the pics folks have posted into original designs? I could never actually do some of this from scratch.
    Take a look at GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) it is very powerful and 100% free. If you are feeling adventurous, Blender is a very good 3D rendering program that is also free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blender takes some time to learn, Nurbs are weird if you've never used a modeling program before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here are some mid engine rear drive cars built in a style that really appeals to me. This is the kind of look I'll be after. Plus, these are all MR cars so maybe it can give the designers some looks and styles and aero bits for their designs.
    First up are some NSX beauties.

I'm a huge white wheel fan. This red one is full of aero parts for track days.

This one is just super clean. The NSX has great lines. Its a long car, too long for this 95" wb design, but its got some great proportions and lines.

Here's a turbo'd NSX and how they directed air to the top mounted intercooler.

mmm... black on black.

boom, nice one here too.
    I have my FFR MR ??? donor car ready to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Next up are some good lookin' Toyota MR-2s. The poor man's Ferrari.

This one even looks like an F40 with that wing and widebody treatment.

Track monster here. I really like add on flares.

This one is cool, but too edgy on the wide body, doesn't quite match up with the rest of the car, but this thing moves at Tsukuba.

This gives a good view of the MR-2s profile. Very simple, no crazy lines or angles. Almost too simple though for today. The MR-2 looks a little outdated, pop up headlights and all.

Found this when searching for MR-2s/Ss, I think its an MR-S that has a crazy kit on it. It has very simple lines as well.

Hard to find MR-Ss that look good. I like this one.

...and this one is cool too. Track cars always look purposeful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice aero mods here.

Oldschool MR-2 can be cool too...

There's those white wheels again, I just dig white wheels on any color really. I like the sharp 80's edges of the MR-2 1st gen.

And a few Exige's I liked

Track monster. I like the wide fenders.

Just dig this photo. What a purty shape no?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking MR-S'

These in my opinion on the ONLY way to make an MR-S look REALLY nice (APR bodykit in both cars):

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that whilst this white car also looks nice, I think the black A-pilers and black roof on the above car make it (this car started white and ended up the beautiful gun mental grey colour after):

Post Thanks / Like

Also remember that the lil MR-S is around 900-950kg and that is a PRODUCTION car which runs airbags and abs and air-con etc with metal body panels (~2000lbs) so 1800lbs should be very do-able!

Post Thanks / Like
    I owned a second gen MR2 and we always poked fun at the MRS guys but that last wide kit is super clean, very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiesmann (germany) presents a new car at Geneva, no doors, no roof, no windows, wheels at the corners, but front engine (bmw).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Agreed with above, the wide body MR-S is good lookin'. Looking at teh wheelbases of the 3 Gen's of MR toyota:

1st Gen 91.3" wheelbase and 2350lbs 155.5" long and 65.6" wide
    2nd Gen 94.5" wheelbase 2600-2800lbs (Ttop cars are heavier) 164.2" long and 66.9" wide
    3rd Gen 96.5" wheelbase 2200lbs 153" long, 66.7" wide

WRX's are 68.1" - 68.5" for sedans. That's about 2 inches wider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the donor part list to make a Murtaya (4wd), gives an idea...

http://www.murtaya.com/DonorPartsList.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Horhay View Post
    I'd really like to see it look like it is built to compete with a Porsche Cayman. Nice clean, stylish lines and nothing too over the top. Coincidentally the FFR car has a wheelbase and powertrain layout very similar to the Cayman.
    +1 on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be similar in size and layout but the Porsche is a "luxury" sport car, and the FFR will be more oriented toward pure sportscar like a lotus.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey subyrod, love the direction your thinking, Im thinking along the same lines, I was looking thru april 2011 car and driver mag came across
    pixs of 2014 porsche 918 rsr concept- love the look, also 2013 lotus espirit looks great and lastly the mc laren mp4-12c
    would be great to have a body design with some of these lines...
    Last edited by jetsetter468; 02-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really love the profile of the Artega GT 04,

I'd also like to see a hood vent like the Lotus Evora.

Rear diffuser is a must. Side vent for the front brakes suggested, as well as LED tail lights and off-the-shelf projector headlamps.
    But really, guys. Once they choose the design and you see the car, you'll love it - even if it looks like a Stratos. ?)
    Re: the roadster/coupe/roll bar discussion, there is a really strong argument for modular construction. Choose the version you want to build, and bolt on the roof and/or body pieces you want. My preference is a removable targa top stored behind the seats. A track car would be useless to me. As I live in Wisconsin, it's gotta be street-able in all types of weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Suggestions

I simply LOVE the profile of the Artega GT. Not so much from other angles - too rounded.

Hood vents as in the Lotus Evora would be better than excellent.

A rear diffuser is a MUST-HAVE.

Beyond that, door vents for the front brakes would be sweet. Same with an optional roof scoop.

Re: the roadster/coupe/roll cage discussion, there is an excellent argument to be made for a modular roof design. Simply choose the version you want to build, and bolt on the roof and/or body pieces you want. My personal preference is a removable Targa top that stores behind the seats.

In any event, a sunny-day-only vehicle would be useless to me. As I live in Wisconsin, it has to be comfortably drivable in most weather conditions. Like anyone else interested in this design, I cannot afford to build a $15,000 garage decoration.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimk2 View Post
    It will be similar in size and layout but the Porsche is a "luxury" sport car, and the FFR will be more oriented toward pure sportscar like a lotus.
    My position is that I don't want a car that looks like a mini Lamborghini Murcielago but goes like a Porsche Boxster. I'd rather the car start with the looks of the Boxster and the ability to upgrade the performance to keep up with the supercars.

The Elise is fine to look at, but it doesn't have the oomph to back up it's looks. Id sooner buy this kit if it were less dramatically styled than the Elise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did I miss something? Why all the Toyota MR2 body kits? I thought we were doing a WRX donor, not an MR2.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Thats post just simply was stating that the MRS chassis has a very simular wheelbase as the donor, thats all.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MR2 is also mid engined (although transverse inline 4 cyl) and the older ones are affordable. Plus they can be made to run like scared cats and still get good MPG from 1600cc to 2200cc (?). Kind of in our field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Horhay! It seems we have two groups, one wishing a "dramatic" little supercar, one wishing something sporty but "elegant".
    Last edited by Olimk2; 02-27-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously this isn't mid engined...

I agree on the elegant looking without being outlandish or garish
    Plain looking fast cars help keep your insurance rates and ticket count lower.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the stylish but no garish too!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The vw roadster "concept r" and "bluesport" are neat too...

Post Thanks / Like
    And it just hit me, Ford RS200 but modernized.

We could re-use the 2002 - 2003 Impreza headlamps and foglamps and the car has a history of rally victories to boot!

Post Thanks / Like
    The rs200 has a nice snorkel for an air intake too

Post Thanks / Like
    The rs 200 had a lot of sierra (merkur in usa) parts! Same concept in some ways!

Post Thanks / Like
    Already done some sketches with 2002 headlamps...turns into porsche style quickly!

Enjoying this forum a lot! A lot of knowledge from real car enthousiasts here!!!!

Another to look at is the Renault spider 1995, they tried to do a french elise, still weights a ton...(wheels and brakes from 250hp alpine v6TT oversized for a 150hp 4pot car...)

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.lusomotors.com/LM%2023.html

Have a look at this guys, bike or SUBARU POWERED TRACK CAR!!!

It's from portugal, very talented, known for having designed a modern 246 dino quite sexy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimk2 View Post
    http://www.lusomotors.com/LM%2023.html

Have a look at this guys, bike or SUBARU POWERED TRACK CAR!!!

It's from portugal, very talented, known for having designed a modern 246 dino quite sexy...
    There already are a handful of track only subaru engined cars (including an exo-skeleton one ala Arial Atom) that someone can choose from. I don't think FFR would go through all this trouble to make something that already exists. I get the feeling they are trying to offer something entirely unique. My bet is they will come up with something that will go great on the track, but will also be at home on the street. I'm thinking it will offer track-car like performance like an Atom, minimal interior/engineering like a lotus (or actually, like a subaru ) and an exterior design that is stylish and 'performant' without being gaudy or super car like. I don't really see this project going any other way, except for maybe the exterior being more aggressive.

If you want a track car, with a subaru engine, you can have it already under 20k.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% with you, it was only to review what's nice and sub powered...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast