BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help - EFI Fuel Pressure issue

Post Thanks / Like

Help - EFI Fuel Pressure issue

New engine is in, most everything hooked up, went to start (as I pointed out in the TrickFlow thread) and no fuel pressure, the pump comes on of the 2-3 seconds when you turn the ignition on (fuel pump will also come on when you leave the key on and turn the distributor), so looks like the ECU and everything is working fine,

1. I ran the KOEO tests and no codes (beyond the smog codes)
    2. replaced the new variable fuel pressure regulator with the old one
    3. changed fuel rails when I was at it
    4. injectors looked like they were getting a little fuel as there was gas in holes when I changed the rail
    5. the Schrader valve had no pressure behind it (I have the fuel rails that have the Schrader valve next to the fuel pressure regulator)
    6. disconnected the fuel lines to see if the pump was delivering fuel, fuel come out but seems not to fast and not with force
    7. I also direct wired the pump and let it run for a minute or so and still no pressure

So looks like the pump is running when it should but the pump may not be putting out enough fuel to build up pressure. The fuel cell is 2 years old now (new style), is it possible that the pump is bad? Has anyone had a pump that ran when it should but not produce enough fuel?
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-14-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're getting fuel flow, but no pressure, it's probably a bad pump. But, I would take the pump and the filters out and see what's going on. Maybe there's a clog; dirt, schmutze, silicone sealant, fuel cell foam, whatever. Use an air compressor and blow out the line in reverse. If that all works out OK, I'd replace the pump.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You should have at least 35 psi at the Shrader valve. 39 to 42 is better depending on what you're using to measure. A pressure gauge to replace the Shrader is better. I agree with Bob (bad pump). Those pumps don't always just stop which can make the trouble shooting harder. The pressure check is the best way to diagnose a sick pump. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Measured pressure @ pump and was only 20 PSI so called Fuel Safe and they are sending out new pump.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress