Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 460?

Post Thanks / Like

460?

I am looking to get in to the building aspect, however the engine I currently have is a stock '73 460. Would I be able to put this engine in (with or without mods) to get the "big" engine look?

I did get the engine for free and I want to put it to good use and I think this would be it.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the short answer is yes a ford big block will fit.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Did you see the 460 build on Horsepower TV? They made some serious hp on a budget build around 2K I think. And then in stage two they used some alum heads and other nice addons and really made some scary hp and torque. I think you have a fun engine to start with. Free is good! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would make every attempt to lighten up the 460 -- aluminum heads, intake manifold, radiator (large one of course for that engine), front dress...that is one heavy engine. Even back in the day, ol' Shel's drivers told him they preferred the small block over the big block version of the car, because the weight of the motor was just too much for the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, I've got to jump in here. The OP posted this thread in the '33 forum. Yes, the 460 fits the FFR Roadster but FFR does not support or make any claim that the 460 fits the '33. I just made a quick jump over to the FFR site to check. I would say that it is too long of an engine to fit. But if you have the fabrication skills then you could always make it fit. Engine mounts, custom exhaust, etc.. To date there have been engines put into the '33 that are not supported by FFR.

DAWG06, you said that you wanted the "big engine look". A 302 SBF looks "big" in the chassis. Use a 351W to really fill it up. It will give you the "big engine look", especially if you choose the right intake. Others will say that a 4.6 will also give that big engine look and I can't disagree with that.

Olli
    Last edited by Olli; 04-17-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the 460 smaller than the mod / Coyote engines? (and they fit)
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This should help a little.

Have a look.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/E...imensions.html

One thing that bothers me is that I can not tell if a post is directed to a particular sub forum unless it is stated. Sometimes it's hard to tell. Is there a way besides going to "forum" to see the origin? Anyway my comment was just about hp potential because I had seen the build on HP TV. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    This should help a little.

Have a look.

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/E...imensions.html

Something is not right about the dimensions in that link. It says the 4.6 SOHC is 36" long, 36" wide and 44" tall . The 44" tall really caught my attention. It had me wondering how I was able to get an engine that tall in my roadster that has a hood less than 36" above the floor. So I measured my 4.6. It's about 27" tall from the bottom of the FFR oil pan to the top of the stock throttle body. It's about 28" wide when I measure the widest point of the valve covers. When I measure out to the flanges of the shorty headers, it's about 33-34".

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Is there a way besides going to "forum" to see the origin? WEK.

Yes. Just under the header bar (under the links that say "New Posts", "Private Messages", "FAQ", "Calendar"....), there's an address listing that includes the forum. For this thread, the address listing shows:
    Forum -> Factory Five Build Discussions -> '33 Hot Rod -> Engine and Transmission -> 460?

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming....
    My Saving Grace: John 3:16

FFR6687, Graduate #39 in the Class of 2009
    The Factory Five Forum March 2012 POM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well if it was a snake it would have bit me!!! Thanks, Cobradavid. I guess I was blinded by the advertisements. I truly have never noticed that before now. As far as the table, I apologize but I did not validate it for accuracy before posting. Do you think that was a typo and should have been 34 inches instead of 44 inches. By the way, even if we did not notice that this was originated from the hot rod forum, if you can put a hemi in a hot rod, I think a 460 would fit OK. As far as headers are concerned, stock or short headers wouldn't be such a big deal since just about any decent muffler shop can fab pipes like that. IMO. WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    The big block will physically fit in the 33' Hot Rod. You will have to fabricate headers and motor mounts to use it and possibly run the extra clearance hood depending on which intake and air cleaner combo you use. It won't handle as good as a small block build and it will probably cost more.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales