Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I need to ask for some help...

Post Thanks / Like

I need to ask for some help...

I have a somewhat steep driveway, and I'm worried about whether or not I'll be able to get the GTM up it. I've decided to to have the bottom re-worked in order to allow the GTM nose to clear. But I need the know the angle

Can anyone get me a measurement from the tire (on the ground) and the from of the nose. I need one with the splitter on, and one without, since I had been planning to use the Splitter (and Rocker extensions).

If possible, I also need to know the angle from the bottom of the nose, back to the tire. Again, one with the splitter and one without.

As always, any help would be appreciated.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stig,

I changed my ride height. I think stock from FRR is 4.5" front 5." rear. I raise my car a 1/2" at the coil overs which raised the car 1.5" . For me it was a good

compromise for now. Happy Building Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the angle of your driveway? Can you take some pics? Its all about approach angle... I didnt think I could get in and out of a number of places, but if taken at a good angle it wasnt a problem. Id be careful about moding the body. It would concern me on how it will impact the look of the car. Its expensive, but I would invest in Frans lift system.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the RCR web site looking for the lift system but couldn't fine it. How does it work and how much money?

Post Thanks / Like
    You'd probably be better off to just call Fran and ask him what you need. It's basically just a couple of small donut shaped hydraulic cylinders that mount under the coil spring on the front coil-overs (or all 4 if you wanted to raise the whole car) and a small electric pump. Extend the cylinders to get over a bump or into a driveway, and let them back down to go back to standard ride height. No chassis or suspension mods and it's fail-safe.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    What is the angle of your driveway? Can you take some pics? Its all about approach angle... I didnt think I could get in and out of a number of places, but if taken at a good angle it wasnt a problem. Id be careful about moding the body. It would concern me on how it will impact the look of the car. Its expensive, but I would invest in Frans lift system.

David
    The approach angle is 10 degrees and then gradually increases to 20 degrees at the halfway mark, and stays there until you get up to the landing on top. I'm only concerned with getting the front wheels of the car onto the driveway without scraping the splitter or nose. I'm good after that.

Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    You'd probably be better off to just call Fran and ask him what you need. It's basically just a couple of small donut shaped hydraulic cylinders that mount under the coil spring on the front coil-overs (or all 4 if you wanted to raise the whole car) and a small electric pump. Extend the cylinders to get over a bump or into a driveway, and let them back down to go back to standard ride height. No chassis or suspension mods and it's fail-safe.
    Shane, you and Dave are absolutely right. I'll compare Fran's Price to the cost of re-doing the driveway and see where we are. But at the same time, it would make good sense to get the lift kit anyway, since I also have a few speed bumps in the neighborhood that I have to get over before getting to the main road.

I can't believe that I hadn't thought of that. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to Fran.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
    I went to the RCR web site looking for the lift system but couldn't fine it. How does it work and how much money?
    Now see Rick... If you start converting things like this to "Must haves", your 50k build cap may be in danger!

I spoke to Ron a few minutes ago.

He just sold his last one from stock this morning. (To another of our GTM friends).

www.ramliftpro.com is the supplier. ( I hope I'm not violating the rules by posting this).

Price seems to be $1768.00 for the RLP 1.25 which yields 2.5 to 3.75" of lift.

Their RLP 2.50 kit yields 3.125 to 5.625" of lift. (Not sure if it is the same price or not). I sort of doubt it. This is just for the front wheels.

They sell kits for the entire car (front & rear) as well, but you'll have to call them to get those prices.

It's kind of pricey, but if this is a concern at all, it may be money well spent.

I'm thinking that if you're not using the splitter in the front, the RLP 1.25 may be the ticket. But if you're using the splitter, you may want just a bit more clearance.

This plus Russ Thompson's skid guards for the bottom, should pretty much keep you covered.
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-21-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Here we go Mike...Our brains are converting "nice to haves" to "gotta haves!" Have you looked at approaching the driveway at an angle until the nose is up then straightening out to continue the climb? As for me, I live halfway down a "holler" (for you Yankees thats southern for a small valley ). If I come up from the bottom of my driveway where the attached garage is I have a similar problem to yours. My shop, where I'll keep the car, is farther up the drive where the angle is less severe so maybe I can just remind myself to never go to the bottom of the driveway. Either that or back up from down there.

Edit: Your post beat me to it by about 30 seconds. I see you've already thought about the brain conversion issue.
    Last edited by Rick Williams; 02-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post

David
    Hi Dave,

I wasn't planning to mod the body. I was planning on changing the slope of the driveway in order to try and take away some of the slope angle until I could get the front wheels on the slope. I would really like to use the CF Splitter and rocker Extensions on the car. I've been going over how to make sure everything clears.

I thought of cutting in at an angle, but after the expense and huge amount of work that Jeff put into the paint on my car, I don't want to chance screwing it up.

But you're suggestion of the lift kit from Fran may be the best solution all around. It would solve a lot of ground clearance issues; not only with the driveway, but also with speed bumps in my neighborhood.

I hadn't realized it, but when Jeff came to pick up the Chassis last Thursday, That was the first time it had been all the way down on the ground. Man do these things ever sit low!

Take care man!
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you see my post on ffcars?
    I have the custom front end "lift kit" that JCHRacer developed, I do not need it for my build. Sounds like fran's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Did you see my post on ffcars?
    I have the custom front end "lift kit" that JCHRacer developed, I do not need it for my build. Sounds like fran's.
    Hi,

I did see it, and just responded to it. I think at the moment I'm headed towards the RamLiftPro Kit that Fran Sells. I wasn't even aware the Joel had a product that he was selling. I'm sure it's a great piece, given what I've seen from him in the past.
    The Stig

GTM #0081