Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Hub mounting question.

Post Thanks / Like

Question IRS Hub mounting question.

I have the DS LCA & UCA mounted, axle in, and spindle (knuckle) mounted to the arms. The hubs slide onto the axles fine by themselves, but when trying to slid them on into the spindles over the axle they "stick" after about a 1/2" of insertion.

I then tried to slide the hub into the spindle of the PS (not mounted, not onto the axle), and it does the same thing. I have tapped to try and "persuade it" on further, but no dice. I didn't smack it too hard, as I didn't want to muck it all up right away.

So then I stuck the hubs in the freezer overnight, same thing.

Now I have both the PS hub and spindle in the freezer for the day and will try that tonight. Is this tight a fit "normal", or is it something that I am missing. Any alternatives or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
    Chris
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    The hub should be pressed into the spindle first. It should not be a slide fit. The axle should be a tight slide fit once you have it assembled in the spindle

Post Thanks / Like
    The hubs were a nice tight, but slid on fit themselves.
    Now to find a press that I can borrow.

Thanks
    CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My favorite way to install or remove bearings in aluminum parts is to heat them up. I am not sure how much of a press fit Ford uses on their knuckles but on all the upright I have had in the past I put the assembled parts in an oven set for 275F-300F with space under the bearing and when the parts were heated the bearing would drop out. I purchased my knuckles without bearings and bushings so I didn’t remove my old bearings but I did used this method to install the new bearings and it worked very well. I am not sure how high of temperature the bushings will stand so I didn’t install new bushings until after the parts cooled down.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed to install the hubs this weekend with the threaded rod approach.
    Is there a spec on the depth of install, like gap between the back of the hub and the front of the spindle to check for proper install depth?
    I tightened until I perceived I would break something as the tightening effort got "really high" if I continued.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Managed to complete the hub installation by taking to a local shop that handles the mundane stuff on my DD. The completed the press in and it took all of 2 minutes, and for free.

Back to installing the spindles later this week once I get home from a business trip. On to rear brake install next!
    Chris Lewis