I was curious if there are going to be any Challenge cars running the NASA race at Thunderhill on May 19th and 20th? I see the race is not part of the challenge series, but I was hoping to see the cars run.

For a few years now I have considered a spec racer, but in all honesty have not even seen one up close. The concept of the class is what has my interest, I like spec racing and the thought of racing a Cobra is cool. Prior to jumping in, it would make sense to talk to a few drivers/owners to make sure the class is the right class for me at this point in my life.

I am looking for a reasonably low maintence class, cost is not as much of an object as time. For many years I have raced dirt cars (midgets) and even have a dirt late model in my garage I just cannot get excited about racing. They are tons of work to keep up and running which just does not work for me at this point in my life. I need a class where the maint is simple for lack of a better word, change brake pads, square the chassis, change the fluids, etc. My idea is 4-6 hours of work between race weekends is about what I would have to spare and I only want to race about 8 times a year.

The idea of loading up the RV and heading off to Infineon and Thunderhill a few times a year seems attractive.

Are the pits for a NASA event the same mess as they are for SCCA events? That is what has kept me from running a FE or FM car with them. I do not want to have to get to the track on Thursday to lock down a pitspot.

Many have told me a Spec Miata would fit the bill, but I really would prefer to race something a bit "cooler" and the FFR cars fit that for me.

And advice you could pass to me would be appreciated and if you are going to be at Thunderhill on those dates I would love to come bug you. The other classes I am considering are Spec Miata's and Thunder Roadsters. The class that I will go with will be decided by the car that I can race competitively with the least amount effort between races (hope that does not sound too bad).

Thank you in advance for any comments and or advice.