Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NASA @ Thunderhill in May

Post Thanks / Like

NASA @ Thunderhill in May

I was curious if there are going to be any Challenge cars running the NASA race at Thunderhill on May 19th and 20th? I see the race is not part of the challenge series, but I was hoping to see the cars run.

For a few years now I have considered a spec racer, but in all honesty have not even seen one up close. The concept of the class is what has my interest, I like spec racing and the thought of racing a Cobra is cool. Prior to jumping in, it would make sense to talk to a few drivers/owners to make sure the class is the right class for me at this point in my life.

I am looking for a reasonably low maintence class, cost is not as much of an object as time. For many years I have raced dirt cars (midgets) and even have a dirt late model in my garage I just cannot get excited about racing. They are tons of work to keep up and running which just does not work for me at this point in my life. I need a class where the maint is simple for lack of a better word, change brake pads, square the chassis, change the fluids, etc. My idea is 4-6 hours of work between race weekends is about what I would have to spare and I only want to race about 8 times a year.

The idea of loading up the RV and heading off to Infineon and Thunderhill a few times a year seems attractive.

Are the pits for a NASA event the same mess as they are for SCCA events? That is what has kept me from running a FE or FM car with them. I do not want to have to get to the track on Thursday to lock down a pitspot.

Many have told me a Spec Miata would fit the bill, but I really would prefer to race something a bit "cooler" and the FFR cars fit that for me.

And advice you could pass to me would be appreciated and if you are going to be at Thunderhill on those dates I would love to come bug you. The other classes I am considering are Spec Miata's and Thunder Roadsters. The class that I will go with will be decided by the car that I can race competitively with the least amount effort between races (hope that does not sound too bad).

Thank you in advance for any comments and or advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be there, but not running my FFR. There maybe one ore two running in TT. I'm sure that either one would be more than happy to give you a ride along. Parking at T-hill typically isn't a problem. If you are looking to have fun, FFR is the way to go. Last season a bunch of us ran one race with SCCA Historic's at Laguna Seca and it was an amazing event. No way you'll have a chance to run that kind of event in a SM.
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be there for the enduro, and as Jeff noted, there will very likely be a couple of spec racers there as well....Not sure where you're located, but we have two Challenge cars in Healdsburg and are building a Coupe for racing as well. We'd welcome a visit anytime.

I ran in the series for five years, and am still active with NASA. The FFR group is like an extended family to me, and it's always a ton of fun to hang out with these guys in the pits and compete with them on the track.

The biggest gathering of FFR's on the West Coast is happening in Huntington Beach this weekend. It might be a long haul, but hop in the car on head on down if you'd like to see 100 FFR's in one place. A bunch of us, including Dave Smith will be there, and we'd love to meet you! http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...In-2012-Update

Hope to meet you soon!!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 04-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your replies and thoughts.

I am in Shingle Springs, outside of Sacramento, so Healsburg would be a nice day trip at some point.

Had I known about Huntington Beach we would have gone, my wife and kids love that place. Although we will be in Yreka, CA this weekend dedicating a scoreboard for the local little league to my little league coach (long story).

Karen,
    I will seek you out on Saturday at Thunderhill if that is ok? What I am really looking to understand is the maintence required to keep the car running well. The FFR would be the heaviest and most underpowered car I have raced (my current car weighs 900 pounds and has 300+ hp and 250+ Ft. torque). There is nothing about the power to weight that concerns me, just the work required to keep it running right.

The thought of being able to run a vintage event at LS is very attractive as well (the wife loves Monterey).

I care way more about my family than I do about racing, thus the class has to fit with them as well and offer something for them. My wife is very supportive, in fact the other day she told me she was concerned I was not racing enough and wanted to make sure I felt supported. My two daughters who are 9 and 2, love racing. They prefer road racing over the dirt tracks as they cannot go into the pits for our Saturday night shows. So this feels right. The only downside is we get paid real good for racing on Saturday nights and there is nothing better in racing than standing on the front straight at the end of the night with a trophy in one hand and your children in the other in front of a few thousand fans.

Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick
    The West Coast Challenge series bacically has eight point races, four in Southern Calfornia and four in Northern California. Our next
    scheduled one is the week after Thunderhill at Willow Springs. We run our group in the same race as CMC and American Iron. As of
    now it doesn't look like any Challenge cars are making the trek to WS.....if not I'll be running mine at Thunderhill. I live in Brentwood so I'm not too far from you.
    If you want to drop by you are welcome. Looking forward to meeting you at THill

Robert
    #3 FFR Challenge Series

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Robert,

I will drop you a line when we get closer to the race date at TH. When I looked at the schedule for the Challenge Series, it was not that attractive, based onthe number of races at WS. Personally, my long tow days are behind me. The only races that I would attend would be Thunderhill and Infineon races. There is no doubt I am getting old.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,
    Just so you know there are two other FFR challenge cars that only run TT at most of the Norcal (T-hill and Infineon) events, both of them have passenger seats. I'm working on my E30 motor right now and if I don't get it done in time, I'll be running my challenge car in TT, probably trying to keep up with Robert.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rick
    Just to add my two cents...the FFR group is truly an extended family. I am now entering my fourth season in the series and have found it a fun, challenging, and humbling experience. Currently our local series is in a building phase and we would certainly welcome some new drivers! As you may have gathered from the forum, we all are doing a major engine and suspension upgrade this season which promises to be a big boost to the cars. Working out the initial setup bugs continues to be an issue for us but I think we're almost ready to start racing once again.

As for race prep etc...for the past seasons I have been much on a schedule as you describe, with fairly minimal standard maintenance all that was required between races. I hope that trend continues with the new engine mods, only time will tell for sure. I did run the car in enduro races as well last season, and we never even had to pop the hood, even in the 6 hour event at Thunderhill last December.

I hope to drive time trial at Thunderhill on Sunday the 20th if my car is back together in time.

Tom
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff and Tom,

Thank you very much for your replies. We are looking forward more than ever coming up in a couple of weeks. What day would be better to attend, Saturday or Sunday? I would come up both days, but the week before I will be in NY (and Boston the week before that) and the wife would not be happy me taking the RV up for the entire weekend. Not sure I could sell Willows as a great weekend destination for the family.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The enduro is on Sunday morning, and am thinking I'll come up on Saturday afternoon to catch up with everyone. Been a few months since we've all been at the track together....Looking forward to meeting you Rick!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 05-02-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick,

I'll be there Saturday running TT and instructing. Sunday is TT only. If you'd like a ride I can probably work you in better on Saturday assuming you fit in the seat. I should be in the south paddock across from the tower, you'll see me. Another FFR brother "Timothy", may be there as well running in TT. Last I heard he was leaning towards going and also has a passenger seat. I can send you a tentative schedule and paddock map if you like. Keep us posted with your plans. These are fun cars and this group of folks are the best around. Bring your helmet!

Hey Karen, been so busy with work the last 6 months and getting busier. Little Jack Henry turns 1 on Saturday and grandbaby Georgette is due in August. All is well just not much social time, I’m not complaining :-) It will be great to catch up a little, been a while man. Looking forward to seeing Robert, Jeff and Tom too! Should be a fun weekend.

Let me know if you need a spare hand Sunday morning Karen, I’ll have free time during your enduro.

Hope all’s well and talk soon,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Thanks I will be there. After talking to my wife, Saturday was going to be the better day for me to head up there. I always take my race gear to the track with me. You would be shocked the number of times I found a ride (and by ride I mean a car for me to race) by being at the track with my stuff.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    i wil be there both days but you dont want to see me when your on the track. look me up i will near the med bldg under the first set of coverd parking.
    i will probably bring my GTM. need toget started on the interrior

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey John,
    Are you going to save me a spot next to you?
    I won't be driving in TT tho...wanta race so I'm
    signing up for SU
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok Robert, sounds like fun. I'll be up there Friday afternoon and will save you a spot.

See you on Saturday Rick.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    John if you're able save me a spot too for the big fifth wheel. I am pushing hard to get my newly (2nd pass) rebuilt engine back from the machine shop and installed next weekend. Hoping to make it to TH on sat afternoon and run TT on Sunday. I'll know a lot more in a week or so.

T
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do Tom, and hope you get it sorted out. Look forward to seeing you there, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh my....This is sounding like old times!!! (yea!)....;.))) I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

Tom.....I know you're more than ready to get your Challenge car back up to speed. It will be cool to check out all the new upgrades.

John....It's been way too long, man! It would be way cool if you or Tim could give Rick a ride on track...It will be great to hang out and catch up on things Saturday evening......Need lots of pics of the grandbabies too!!! My grandbabies are 3 and 4 years old now, and they had great time at the FFR gathering at Huntington Beach last weekend.

Robert....It will be great to see you as well! With those dyno numbers, you should be wicked fast out there! Sub-2 minute laps for sure....The new motor and trans for the new Coupe will be here in a week or so, and I can't wait to get back on track with you guys! Ran the blue Coupe at the 50th Anniversary event at the historic Pomona race track last week, and it was awesome to be out there with all those originals.

Jeff, Tim......Really hoping to see you guys too!!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 05-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very much looking forward to this weekend and meeting some of you and getting to know the cars. Coming with me is a friend who has served as my crew chief for various racing ventures (offshore, 24 hours of Lemons, oval track, etc).

Thank you in advance for the taking some time to educate us on the cars and class(es). I will bring my race gear, so if a ride along is possible, there will be no excuses (including arm restraints).

thanks,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I now remember why racing is so hard when you have two children.... Unfortunately I will not be able to make it up tomorrow. Returned from NY last night to find my daughters softball team won their playoff game and are in the championship game tomorrow (this is suppose to make me happy isn't it). Anyways, family first. I will try again on on June 16th, as of right now there is nothing on the families calendar for that weekend.

Apologies,
    Rick