BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GenIII HEMI build thread - wife calls it Mistress

Post Thanks / Like

GenIII HEMI build thread - wife calls it Mistress

As promised last week, here is the start of my build thread. I’ve been saving money and squirreling away parts for about 2 years to make my dream of building a FF5 33 Hot Rod a reality. I’ve also done countless hours of research into different components and aftermarket parts to add to my build. Due to the time I’ve already spent working overtime and researching, the wife has dubbed the car “Mistress” which seems to be sticking. I have almost 20 years of experience customizing cars and I’m one of the owners of Show & Performance in San Diego, CA. For the past 5 years, I’ve been working a lot with the Gen III HEMIs, specifically the 6.1L SRT motors. So that’s what I’m using.

Here is the plan:
    Kit: I ordered the kit with hard top, power windows, full fenders, A/C, and power assist steering.

Engine is a heads/cam 6.1L HEMI with modified factory PCM for engine management. Custom tuned by Diablosport.

Transmission is a 1994 Dodge 518 overhauled and upgraded to handle 600 ft-lbs of torque.

Rear end is 2002 Ford 8.8” out of a Mustang, stripped and upgraded with an Eaton True-trac and Strange 31 spline axles with c-clip eliminators.

Front and rear big brake kits from CNC with a 90 degree power booster in the dash and 95 Mustang ABS

Chassis wiring will be done with the ISIS system with door poppers and RF remote

Fuel system has a Boyd’s tank and 255lph pump from Tanks,Inc

Wheels will be by Forgiato (leaning towards the Aggio-ECL or Diecl-ECL)and tires will come from Toyo, likely R888’s.
    http://www.forgiato.com/index.php/wheel-type/5-spoke/
    PROXES R888 | High Performance Competition Tires | Toyo Tires

We will definitely have some custom work ahead of us including fabricating motor mounts and possibly the transmission mount, custom headers, and likely a custom driveshaft too. We’re still considering a few customizations to the body including possibly widening the rear fenders and adding flush-mount LED tail lights.

The paint scheme is silver with candy purple and chassis and suspension arms will be powder coated purple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, sounds cool. I like everything except the word purple.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been planning the same build for about 6 months and did the 33 build school last month, checked on local powder coaters just this week.
    I too have the 6.1 already on a stand but it's stroked to 426 because I know how weak the stock pistons are so I changed the whole rotating assy while I
    was in there.
    I will be watching to see if you keep that pan or swap to rear sump Jeep pan and which stock headers you use jeep or car etc. The Chally
    iso mounts might be best for the fab because they are much tougher due to the stick tranny combo they had OEM. Are you staying drive by
    wire or going cable on the throttle body? I have planned on an old school tranny too so I wouldn't have another computer to deal with.
    Does that 518 have overdrive, I want that sweet spot of the newest tranny that has OD but right before the electronics/solenoids were added
    on the 44 and up re series. Keep us posted and I would love to buy a set of motor mounts when you see what works.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. The stock pistons aren't that weak, but they do have a tight 1st ring land. They have the reputation of being weak because people ran them too hot, the rings went solid, and popped off the stock ring land. I have a boosted 300C SRT8 that was running 10 pounds of boost on stock pistons before a Manley valve spring broke on it. You just have to know how to tune them.

I'm not planning on running any stock exhaust manifolds. The JBA or BBK shorties for the 5.7L look like they'll work best or I'll weld up some custom headers. I have the 6-speed Challenger mounts on my 300, but I don't think they're going to work with the Factory Five build. On the 33, the motor mounts totally differently than on the LX/LC front sub-frame.

I'm using a hybrid of throttle cable and drive-by-wire using a bell-crank sensor. The 518 does have over-drive and the 518 (46RH) is the last of the hydraulic transmissions without electronic control.

Can't wait to see how yours is coming along too!

Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I have been planning the same build for about 6 months and did the 33 build school last month, checked on local powder coaters just this week.
    I too have the 6.1 already on a stand but it's stroked to 426 because I know how weak the stock pistons are so I changed the whole rotating assy while I
    was in there.
    I will be watching to see if you keep that pan or swap to rear sump Jeep pan and which stock headers you use jeep or car etc. The Chally
    iso mounts might be best for the fab because they are much tougher due to the stick tranny combo they had OEM. Are you staying drive by
    wire or going cable on the throttle body? I have planned on an old school tranny too so I wouldn't have another computer to deal with.
    Does that 518 have overdrive, I want that sweet spot of the newest tranny that has OD but right before the electronics/solenoids were added
    on the 44 and up re series. Keep us posted and I would love to buy a set of motor mounts when you see what works.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the ones I saw were from people trying to add fuel into the dry manifold, and getting a lean cylinder or two from poor distribution.
    I have a spare LX subframe here and I will use part of it to adapt if you don't end up selling any of what works for you.

I'm using a hybrid of throttle cable and drive-by-wire using a bell-crank sensor.
    Will that make it easier to add cruise control??

Can't wait to see how yours is coming along too
    You are already way ahead of me I haven't ordered mine yet.
    I did recognize the addy from the other forums I'm Buck70 on those boards.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Most of the ones I saw were from people trying to add fuel into the dry manifold, and getting a lean cylinder or two from poor distribution.
    I have a spare LX subframe here and I will use part of it to adapt if you don't end up selling any of what works for you.

I'm using a hybrid of throttle cable and drive-by-wire using a bell-crank sensor.
    Will that make it easier to add cruise control??

Can't wait to see how yours is coming along too
    You are already way ahead of me I haven't ordered mine yet.
    I did recognize the addy from the other forums I'm Buck70 on those boards.
    DB
    Ahhhh...fuel in the dry intake manifold. A la GSM superchargers? They're known for blowing engines. I've rebuilt 3 engines thanks to their terrible tuning solution before Diablosport cracked the PCM.

The factory five engine mounts go forward to a vertical support instead of down like the factory Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep mounts. From what I've seen, we'll likely be modifying the F5 4.6L engine mounts for the HEMI.

The cable throttle to the sensor will make it easier to add a cable based cruise control...and it allows me to run a kick-down cable for the transmission. If you need any help, please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Please keep the updates coming. I can't wait to see this build come to life.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fastsedan View Post
    Ahhhh...fuel in the dry intake manifold. A la GSM superchargers? They're known for blowing engines. I've rebuilt 3 engines thanks to their terrible tuning solution before Diablosport cracked the PCM.

If you need any help, please let me know.
    Adam
    Do you have a sense yet of how the Hemi and 518 will fit? Is it real tight everywhere ?
    I'm hoping for a little extra room to rework the front springs and hoping to use the smaller manual tranny tunnel for more pedal room.
    Thanks
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I do NOT have a good idea yet, but I'm pretty certain that the block and trans will fit but I'm also pretty sure that the accessories will need to be moved. I've read of other HEMI street rod builds where they used the 5.7L truck timing cover (alt and A/C compressor on top instead of down low on the car timing cover)...but then you can't use the aluminum 6.1L intake manifold. I've got 2 solutions in mind, one I'm almost certain will work and one I need some measurements to see if it will work. I'll let you know more once we start getting things mocked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do NOT have a good idea yet, but I'm pretty certain that the block and trans will fit but I'm also pretty sure that the accessories will need to be moved. I've read of other HEMI street rod builds where they used the 5.7L truck timing cover (alt and A/C compressor on top instead of down low on the car timing cover)...but then you can't use the aluminum 6.1L intake manifold. I've got 2 solutions in mind, one I'm almost certain will work and one I need some measurements to see if it will work. I'll let you know more once we start getting things mocked up.
    Adam
    I'm going to use the Indy Mod man intake and I haven't located the TB yet, Is the TB location what conflicts with the 5.7 cover
    Dale

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a greaT BUILD!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not familiar with the Indy Mod man intake, but the issue is the throttle body when using the truck timing cover and a car intake manifold. The truck throttle body comes off the side and the car's are straight ahead. Here are the stock truck accessory locations:
    Attachment 5264

Here is one solution from Stu at Inertia Motorsports:
    Attachment 5265Attachment 5266

And I'm thinking this might work:
    http://www.marchperf.com/styletrack_hemi.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the motor, transmission, and starter mounted up today. Chassis, body, and lots of boxes show up tomorrow...then the real work begins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chassis number 373 Hot Rod was delivered in San Diego yesterday. Bob was our driver and he did a great job...he kept his cool even when the overhead crane was acting up.

Finished inventory last night and started building today.

Post Thanks / Like
    We started the build today. We're mocking everything up, then we're going to tear it all down for finishing (paint, powder coat, and polishing). So we may not be following the manual. We got the front and rear suspensions finished today and got the major steering components mounted. I'm definitely going to need to use a rear sump oil pain with where the electric steering motor mounts, or move it.

And we finished off quite a few boxes of parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    mistress:thats funny my buddy joey named his wrecker that

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a little more work done on the car today. Went over to CNC brakes and talked with the owner about making our big brake kit and a dual master cylinder set-up. Decided on 6-piston fronts with an 11" and change rotor and 4-pistons in the rear.

Once we got back, we cleaned up the garage and stored parts we're not going to need for a while. Then got to work re-clocking the electric steering power assist motor and trial fitting the engine and transmission. Definitely going to need some custom motor mounts, a rear sump oil pan, and different than stock accessory arrangement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by towman View Post
    mistress:thats funny my buddy joey named his wrecker that
    My wife dubbed my stroker Dakota "the blue *****" I'm sure the 33 will have a name bestowed on it at some point as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not familiar with the Indy Mod man intake, but the issue is the throttle body when using the truck timing cover and a car intake manifold. The truck throttle body comes off the side and the car's are straight ahead. Here are the stock truck accessory locations:
    Attachment 5264

Here is one solution from Stu at Inertia Motorsports:
    Attachment 5265Attachment 5266

And I'm thinking this might work:
    http://www.marchperf.com/styletrack_hemi.html
    The mod man has fairly short runners and really needs the pull of a stroker to make it streetable IMO Your 6.1 is stock right?
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a heads/cam 6.1L, so I would like to keep the OEM barrel manifold. I know the short runners give up a lot of torque down low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally got some more parts so we could back to work on the 33. The rear-sump oil pan fits great, allows the power steering motor to mount in it's stock location and gives us plenty of adjust-ability with the motor position.

The headers also arrived this week...and they fit! They were ordered without any real measurements, but there is really only one place for them to go and they worked out.

Put together the grille, radiator, AC condenser, and a radiator shroud from Mike Everson. Everything went together great...but then wouldn't mount on the chassis. Talked to F5 and they revised the mounting bracket to add a higher headlight mount, but it now hits the hood hinge part on the grille.

Should be welding up the motor mounts next weekend and working on a mount for the battery and paddle shifter box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the March pulley set-up mocked up too. Looks like it will meet all of our needs for this project, but it does move all of the accessories forward about 1.5". That makes the crank pulley awfully close to the steering rack, but it will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that bracket is sweet! I can't imagine the chunk of aluminum it came from! Looking good man. Keep up the good work and enjoy it!

Post Thanks / Like
    After a few set-backs, we got the motor mounts fabricated today and the HEMI and transmission are finally both in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    WOW!! Nice looking set-up you have there 1fastsedan can't wait for more pic's. Please keep us all posted on your progress! P.S. I also like how you went a different route with the eng-trans, COOL!!

Post Thanks / Like
    We're still plugging along. Fuel tank is finished and mounted, ABS pump is mounted, fuel lines are almost done, transmission plumbing is done, interior sheet metal has been mounted, transmission tunnel is almost done, battery cables have been made, wiring modules mounted.

Still waiting on the custom big brake kit, once it arrives we're doing brakes and then off to have the custom exhaust made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up some parts today. The engine aluminum is all polished. Custom CNC brakes are almost finished. Should be able to pick them up next week and get this thing off to the exhaust shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say "slick" but thats such an understatement!

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the custom front brakes this morning. 13" rotors, 6 piston calipers with 1.5" pistons. The spindle was modified and the ABS sensor was added. They have race pads in them right now, street pads are on the way. Love 'em already and I haven't even plumbed them in yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Final assembly on the motor is finally done! Going back into the frame shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Adam,

A word of caution on the motor install. Most have said you need to put the motor in and then install the power steering. Otherwise I think you can run the risk of damaging the power steering motor or you can't drop the engine low enough to get it all the way back. Not sure but check it out. Looking good otherwise!

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Hey Adam,

A word of caution on the motor install. Most have said you need to put the motor in and then install the power steering. Otherwise I think you can run the risk of damaging the power steering motor or you can't drop the engine low enough to get it all the way back. Not sure but check it out. Looking good otherwise!

Erik
    Thanks Erik. I think we're OK though. We had to fabricate our own motor mounts and we haven't had an issue yet with taking the motor in and out with the power steering in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its been a few weeks since I've put up an update, but we've been slowly working away. The car went to Chrysler's SpringFest on a trailer and it was a pretty big hit. Since then, we got the rear end back with its new custom CNC brakes. We fabricated the brackets for the oil and transmission dipsticks. The Dakota Digital dash face was installed and we finished up the steering column. Also swapped out the Koni suspension for some QA1 parts that better fit the car's theme and we installed Erik's hitch/bumper assembly and remote battery terminals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very nice. You are doin' a great build. Keep the pics coming, please.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been plugging along for the past few weeks. Since my last update, we rough fit the grille, hood, and nose fiberglass. We installed the tail lights today and rough fit the door hardware. The firewall is now set and ready for some welding next week. The brake calipers are off at polishing and we've decided to switch to a floor mount pedal box, so brake plumbing should start in about 2-3 weeks or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to Ridetech for this idea. We went with a different manufacturer, but decided that that floor mount pedal box was needed. Due to our huge automatic, we needed to move all the pedals to the left. And the floor pedals opened up the dash for mounting some electronics modules. We went with the rear facing masters to keep the firewall clean.

The calipers are coming along too. :001_smile:

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the brakes back from the polisher. They turned out great, but they're going to be a pain in the butt to keep clean. Oh well. :001_rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like
    We're making a big push on the 33 this weekend. 5 straight days working on it. We finished the AC plumbing today and we started on the brake lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    We got the body mounted today and the drivers seat with adjustable tracks figured out and mounted. Tomorrow we're hoping to get the passenger seat and both doors on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Day 5 of the July 4th push was a bitter fight until the very end. We ended up with the passenger door mounted...and mounted well, but it took all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast