Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First race of season

Post Thanks / Like

First race of season

Well almost, got off the dyno on Thursday with 322rwhp, went to test and tune session on Friday, had some issue with kill switch (as I screwed up some wiring when I put in new EFI harness) so that cost me some time, so once out on track the engine performed great (did not take it past 5500rpm, the steering took (as is still taking some getting used to), as never having power steering I was somewhat over judging and turning in too early and coming out too early, car seemed stable but any movements on wheel found myself in a position I did not want to be in. I did cut the spring, maybe I did not do this enough as it still seemed a tad too much steering. Had a good day Saturday in qualifying, Steve Powell came up from Portland to run, he was qualified 2 seconds ahead of me. Then Sunday came and also the rain came, our group was late in the afternoon so the track was a mess and standing water and neither of us had rain tires so we pulled out and decided to watch and the first lap a car went into the wall driver had to be taken to hospital and delayed the race for an hour and then they instituted a no passing rule on the front straight where the accident was and the race time was cut in half so all in all maybe a good choice.

So far pretty impressed with the frontend mods and the engine change, will know more as I get seat time. I was running -2.7 camber and +8.5 caster and 1/8 toe in (may have to change that and go toe out).
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, very cool. It will take some time for you to get used to power steering. Definitely 1/16 or 1/8 tow out.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Tony! After much work , 5 dyno days and two engine rebuilds I am at 317 on the dyno, same range. Turns out I was stymied by a new set of "quiet" side pipes from Breeze which cost me 30 hp!

I too had difficulty With the steering being too light. I finally have arrived at a Heidt's valve (best $75 Ever spent) and 10" steering wheel. This combo makes for excellent drivability and the ability to catch the car quickly if (when) it starts to get sideways! Nice part is you can dial the effort to whatever you like with no fuss.

Have fun with the new package it's a blast!
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the great race report Tony. Really glad you got out there on track with all the new stuff, and while you're still sorting a few things out, it sounds like the car is coming along nicely.

Good decision on the rain.....When it rains up there where you guys are, it pours, and it's probably more like driving in a lake or a river, than driving on a wet street.......Sorry to hear about the driver that hit the wall....I hope he's OK.....

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!