FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RaceLogic Traction Control Installed!

Post Thanks / Like

RaceLogic Traction Control Installed!

Ok, so I finished installing it last month, but I have been procrastinating on updating my build log (in my sig) with the details, along with the finished wiring schematic I drew up and followed.

The system works amazing - a truly nice feature to have, and it works incredibly well. In wet mode (0% slip while turning) it will allow up to 5% slip in a straight line, and when I drop the hammer in first I really can't tell that the RL system is misfiring the engine at all - the car just grabs and goes. Looking at the cut graph on the digital controller, however, shows, the RL system was doing a lot of work.

Any questions, let me know.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How exspensive is it?
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the group buy it came in at little over a thousand. I've never seen it cheaper (tc + digital controller + launch control)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Spy! Can you send the contact info for the group buy coordinator? I was offered a complete system at a good price, but the cost of paint and body prevented me from taking advantage of it at the time. I think that this is the last element that I would need to install, in order to make the handling and control of the car, exactly what I want it to be.

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to hearing a little more detail when you've had a chance to really see what it does for you.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Played with the launch control the last time I had the GTM out. Real nice feature and super easy to enable (just hold the controller knob in for 2 seconds). I have to say the performance of this system is incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet

You have 627hp right? What do you reckon your 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times would be with the launch control? In your opinion, do you think you could launch the GTM better than the launch control or is the launch control better? I'm just asking as to determine if i'm gonna go for it or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Sweet

You have 627hp right? What do you reckon your 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times would be with the launch control? In your opinion, do you think you could launch the GTM better than the launch control or is the launch control better? I'm just asking as to determine if i'm gonna go for it or not.

I don't have it (yet), but we will be putting it into our Roadster when it arrives in August. Short wheel base, lots of power and an inexperienced driver (me) means I want as many safety add-ons as possible. The Race Logic Unit is the same traction control unit they put into the Koennigsig cars. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. It might be $1000, but you can just switch it off if you don't like it. For my skill level of driving it is a no brainer.

I've been unable to figure out if it works with the XFI FAST unit from compcams (the EFI controller module we are aiming to use). I believe the XFI v2.0 has it's own traction control functionality now, so I'm not sure if it will like getting instructions to stop the cylinders firing if it is issue the instruction. Does anybody know?

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have another system onboard with your ECU why would you simply not try it first and see if it works? If it doesn't, I'm sure that function can be disabled in the ECU and the Race Logic unit can be added in line to the coils.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    If you have another system onboard with your ECU why would you simply not try it first and see if it works? If it doesn't, I'm sure that function can be disabled in the ECU and the Race Logic unit can be added in line to the coils.
    Good point. I guess it's that the racelogic system was designed to be a traction control system. The XFI is just a software upgrade so for my own comfort, it just feels wrong.

Nothing wrong with taking your approach, and to be honest I'll probably try that as it will be an extra $1000 I can put towards the engine so we can get it on the road sooner.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Crash - I just looked it up again to refresh my memory. The racelogic system works on sensors added to the wheels (or ABS sensors if they are already in place). So if either wheel breaks traction, the engine will cut power sequentially through the cylinders to to a level that you can set with a dial on the dash.

The XFI unit works on a single sensor on the drive shaft and is set in the system - it isn't tuneable by the driver without pulling out a laptop.

Hope that makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. When I've got some money saved for the engine I might start another thread on the subject.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Good point. I guess it's that the racelogic system was designed to be a traction control system. The XFI is just a software upgrade so for my own comfort, it just feels wrong.

Nothing wrong with taking your approach, and to be honest I'll probably try that as it will be an extra $1000 I can put towards the engine so we can get it on the road sooner.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it makes very good sense as these are the two main ways to read TC inputs. There are proponents of both methods, but since my ECU already uses the wheel speed sensors, and does the limiting in the same fashion as the Race Logic, through the ignition AND injectors, if I am understanding correctly, I will be trying my ECU onboard before spending any extra $$. Just my reasoning. YMMV.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    Sweet

0-60 has to be 3 or less. It goes by fast. Last summer I timed a 15-80 blast at around 3.1 seconds and the TC would probably help that a bit as there was plenty of wheel spin. 1/4 mile I really have no idea. A friend that runs a drag car that runs 8's says the acceleration between the two cars feels very similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    ...A friend that runs a drag car that runs 8's says the acceleration between the two cars feels very similar.
    Are you sure you are not on RaceLogic's payrole? You are a tease.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    Are you sure you are not on RaceLogic's payrole? You are a tease.
    hah!