Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stupid Question but I Gotta Ask. Do Golf Clubs Fit?

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Question but I Gotta Ask. Do Golf Clubs Fit?

The title says it all. I'm a long way away from finishing my GTM but I'm curious. Generally, if I'm not in my shop I'm on the golf course and would like to drive the GTM to the course on occasion. I do it in my roadster and can get the clubs in the passenger side with no problem. The bottom of the bag goes down into the footbox and the bag lays at an angle against the passenger seat. Will that work in the GTM? Anyone tried it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
    The title says it all. I'm a long way away from finishing my GTM but I'm curious. Generally, if I'm not in my shop I'm on the golf course and would like to drive the GTM to the course on occasion. I do it in my roadster and can get the clubs in the passenger side with no problem. The bottom of the bag goes down into the footbox and the bag lays at an angle against the passenger seat. Will that work in the GTM? Anyone tried it?
    LOL...

You may need to build yourself a little GTM-Golf Club Trailer with a nice set of Billet trailer wheels. Make sure that you get the Camber and toe-in set right though, so you can pull it at 85 to 90 with no worries...

Seriously though...
    I would think that you could probably get them into the car, as long as you're not carrying a Pro type bag.

You know the more I think about it, wouldn't it be cool to see the crowd of people gathered around your car when you come out after finishing up at the 19th hole...

Or imagine the number of people who miss their tee times because they were in the parking lot checking out your GTM.

Tons of possible stories for the "Best thing to happen to you since owning your GTM" post..

Take Care Rick!
    Last edited by The Stig; 02-22-2011 at 08:54 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree.....they should fit in there without much of a problem.....although getting them in and out will be a bit more challenging than just being able to drop them in like the roadster.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    They will fit in the passenger seat no problem. Leaving the car anywhere makes me nervous, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Oben View Post
    They will fit in the passenger seat no problem. Leaving the car anywhere makes me nervous, Richard.
    Nervous? Nah. Not where I play golf. At least for now here's the way I look at it. If I spent $60k for a used Jaguar XK, Porsche 911, or other high end car I'd drive it without hesitation. Why should the GTM be any different. Obviously I'll draw the line somewhere. I can't imagine parking at Wal-Mart and shopping for an hour but on the other hand, I can see taking my wife to dinner at a high end restaurant as long as there's private off-street parking. Outback Steakhouse?...Nope. The point is, I want to drive it, not just show it.

Maybe I can become the Ralph Button of the GTM world . I could put 1,400 miles on it driving to the open house and back and then take a 1,200 mile round trip to FL to see the folks. After that another 1,100 mile round trip to my wife's family beach house in Delaware. I can see it five years from now. Stone chips, grime, and 50,000 miles of smiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
    Maybe I can become the Ralph Button of the GTM world . I could put 1,400 miles on it driving to the open house and back and then take a 1,200 mile round trip to FL to see the folks. After that another 1,100 mile round trip to my wife's family beach house in Delaware. I can see it five years from now. Stone chips, grime, and 50,000 miles of smiles.
    Rick,

I've pretty much decided the same thing. There's no point in owning it, if you can't bring yourself to park it anywhere. And you're right. There are plenty of high-end restaurants that have off street parking. Would I let some kid Valet Park it? Not a Chance!!! But they'll usually let you park yourself as long as you come up with a decent tip for them... (At least around Charlotte).

We've also talked about taking the GTM on trips. At first, they'll be short runs to Charleston or Asheville. Then when I'm comfortable that everything has been shaken out, we'll look at longer trips... Maybe next year's Mooch Fest, or Open House.

The big thing for us is a lack of space for luggage. Pam has already bought herself a "smaller set of hair curlers". A small duffle bag may be doable. But my wife is 5' tall. And the bag that she normally packs to go anywhere is roughly 6' tall... So we'll see how that works out...
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Rick,

The big thing for us is a lack of space for luggage. Pam has already bought herself a "smaller set of hair curlers". A small duffle bag may be doable. But my wife is 5' tall. And the bag that she normally packs to go anywhere is roughly 6' tall... So we'll see how that works out...
    I've been thinking about luggage space too. I know that storage ideas have been beat to death but what I was thinking was to install hidden cleats behind the seats. I could then bungee cord a bag between the seats on the engine cover. I could also add a small bag butted up to the passenger seat under my wife's legs. This would be enough for a weekend getaway. I need to see a completed GTM to visualize whether or not the bungee cord idea will work. I may not have enough elbow room to shift and I'm certain that I'll at least partially block the view out the back window. Not that that's a big deal. There's not much view to start with.

Worst case, for extended trips I've even thought about sending a box of clothes ahead via UPS or FedEx and sending them home on the back end of the trip. As long as I stay away from next day or two day delivery it would probably cost about $20 each way. It would take some planning and although $40 just to have clothes is slightly painful it's not a deal breaker if I really want to take the GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have sliders on both the passenger and driver side seats. With either seat forward a little bit, I could definitely get some stuff behind them...not a lot, but at the very least a pair of shoes and a change of clothes. The way I have my seats angled, the bottom will not get closer than about four inches to the firewall.