Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any experience registering vehicle in North Carolina?

Post Thanks / Like

Any experience registering vehicle in North Carolina?

Has anyone registered a factory five vehicle in North Carolina? If so, please share you experience.

The ncdot.gov site mentions, custom-built vehicles presented for first-time titling and registration in North Carolina must be examined and photographed by a local NC Division of Motor Vehicles inspector. The report confirms the vehicle is equipped for road use and meets all DOT safety standards.

I sent an e-mail asking what is included in the inspection and received the following response (which does not address any DOT safety standards they may require the vehicle to satisfy)

when one of our inspectors does a report on a vehicle like you have decribed, they are checking the vehicle numbers, odometer and title to prevent fraud and theft. they are not checking for safety items at that time. if you have a vehicle that needs an inspector, you need to contact your local license and theft bureau office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just moved to NC from PA and when transferring the title you do need to go and get the car 'inspected' by the Division of Motor Vehicles License and Theft Bureau. This is true for any vehicle over a certain age (Classic/Antique) as well as any reconstructed vehicle or kit car. They are obviously checking for stolen parts etc but I'm sure that part of this 'inspection' is determining the value of the vehicle for tax purposes. My 1965 FFR was valued at $3000 at title transfer I'm still waiting to see if they change that value assessment after the 'inspection'.

If you are registering the car for the first time and want to know more about the initial inspection and title process try contacting Jeff at Whitby's, I'm sure he can give you some good guidance.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I just spoke to you or someone on the phone. NC has gotten much easier to register in with the newest laws. If you need to know anything specifically let us know
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    yes that was me - thanks Jeff you were very helpful.