FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Installing FFR bump steer kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Installing FFR bump steer kit.

Hello,

This question goes out to anyone who has installed the FFR bump steer kit for the GTM. (Or maybe even the Factory Five Technical staff).

Is it necessary to cut any more length from the tie rods, when adding this kit? Or am I good with the tie rod length after they have been originally cut per the build manual specs?

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

With the mustang rack the bump steer kit is mounted from the bottom side of the front spindles and any adjustment is going to be down and out. If you dont have a bump steer gauge you will need a set of tow plates. You need to be able to raise and lower your car from ride height and disconnect your shock so that the suspension can travel freely. Set the tow at ride height then raise the car about 2 in. so that the suspension travels down and check the tow setting it should remain the same. Next lower the car about 1 1/2 in. from ride height and check the tow. In order to maintain the tow the same through the travel of the suspension you need to play with the adjustment until you can maintain the same tow setting through the travel of the suspension thats what is called zero bump steer. Check your bump steer before you install the kit. In my car with the mustang rack it was okay in one direction and out about 3/8 in. in the other direction. you should be able to get it to zero,or very close to zero. I opted to go with the corvette power rack, by raising the rack i was able to get the right geometry and get zero bumpsteer.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Hello,

This question goes out to anyone who has installed the FFR bump steer kit for the GTM. (Or maybe even the Factory Five Technical staff).

Is it necessary to cut any more length from the tie rods, when adding this kit? Or am I good with the tie rod length after they have been originally cut per the build manual specs?

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

This is Spytech's install and description of the bump-steer kit.

http://www.gtm-supercar.com/?p=239

HTHs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .