Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 780 HP, 9250 RPM, Insane FFR ‘33 Race Rod/Magazine Cover Car!

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

780 HP, 9250 RPM, Insane FFR ‘33 Race Rod/Magazine Cover Car!

Hold on to your hat folks! New Zealand native Robin MacDonald has built a monster ’33 Hot Rod.
    Robin’s roots in hot rodding run deep, and when he met with our guys at SEMA a few years ago, our new ’33 was exactly what he was looking for…

“A hot rod which handled, braked, could go around corners at a good pace, and came as a complete kit set with all components available from one supplier! That was a pretty tall order but the conversation quickly turned to Factory Five Racing.”

The end result of Robin’s craftsmanship is a Factory Five ’33 with some very hi-po hardware starting with the pro-built Ford Motorsports 358 ci Windsor making approximately 780 HP at 9250 RPM topped with a NASCAR 735 cfm Barry Grant double pumper carb. The gearbox is a 6-speed Magnum T-56 with 5th and 6th overdrives which makes sense when you consider the 9″ Curry rear end has 4.88 gears! Wilwood brakes and Boyd Custom wheels round out the package.

To meet New Zealand driving requirements, Robin converted the car to right-hand-drive. Steve Phillips from New Zealand based Autofab handled the chassis work and several performance modifications including mounting the dry sump in the chassis.

Robin’s Factory Five ’33 is on the July 2012 cover of New Zealand’s Hot Rod Magazine. You can read the full articke on Hot Rod New Zealand’s website by clicking here.

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Go NZ!
    (end my patriotic cheer - it's been a good week, we beat Ireland 60-0 in the rugby as well).

Is that the first RHD hotrod? It looks like a great build, and the NZ regulations to get it road legal aren't easy to meet either.

Congratulations to Robin. Now lets see some videos of it moving!

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool 33.

I bet his tire bills are pretty LARGE!!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love LOVE orange!!!!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that orange as well!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have thought about building some NASCAR like heads. This looks like a full NASCAR race engine in a hot rod!!! I can't imagine what this mill is making at 6000 rpms. But what a rush to think that 6000 is your midrange and from 6000 to 9000 would be insane! Pretty nice exhaust note as well. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Silver Supporting Vendor Cameron Autosports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Car Robin!
    Can't beat ORANGE
    #5560 All New Build MkIII IRS, 8.8 Torsen, Koni's, 427Stroker, Tremac TKO600, Fuel Cell, Pin Drive, Hugger Orange/White, SB100 • www.photobucket.com/albums/pp333/n1722t
    Cameron Autosports, LLC.
    West Coast Builder and Restorer of Award Winning Carswww.cameronautosports.com
    Winner: FFR Huntington Beach 2011 BEST OF SHOW • Winner: AHA Pomona, Ca 2011 BEST OF SHOW, BEST ENGINE, 1st Place Cobra Class $50K and 1st Place Cobra Class $30-$50K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Robin. Love the orange.
    FFR 5385 MKIII. 302, 3-Link. All legal in MA 1/7/2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    I have thought about building some NASCAR like heads. This looks like a full NASCAR race engine in a hot rod!!! I can't imagine what this mill is making at 6000 rpms. But what a rush to think that 6000 is your midrange and from 6000 to 9000 would be insane! Pretty nice exhaust note as well. WEK.
    Except how much of a maintenance nightmare would it be .... it's RPMs that kill engines.
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, Robin! I call it "Sweet." My grandson calls it "Sick Nasty!" At any rate this one brings it together for all of us. I was wondering what wipers you used? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep thinking back to that movie "Space Balls" where they keep ordering "ludicrous speed!"

Add in that crazy-awesome orange color and you have a heck of a sweet Rod!

Congratulations on a spectacular build; I am both jealous and envious!!

You should be justifiably proud of your work, enjoy the heck out of it, and try to stay out of jail from excessive speeding tickets.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the color!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
    Except how much of a maintenance nightmare would it be .... it's RPMs that kill engines.
    Im just guessing but I think if he wanted something that was maintenance free he wouldve went and bought a buick or some other grandma car.