Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much room for the driver

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    I absolutely love my VIAIR 12V compressor if your looking for a quality unit that doesn't come from sears or an auto parts store.
    Funny you should mention that. I was just admiring that particular little compressor in my Griot's Garage Car Care catalog a couple of days ago. It is already on my short list. I'm glad to hear that you like yours. It's nice to buy something with a little confidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I'll check tomorrow
    Any update? Thanks, dave

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears from the pictures on Bob and Mikes build thread that anyone over 6ft won't pass the broomstick test with the stock seats, even if the sliders are removed. From the pictures it looks like there's at least 4" that the seat needs to be lowered. I don't think the stock seats can be modified that much, or can they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    It appears from the pictures on Bob and Mikes build thread that anyone over 6ft won't pass the broomstick test with the stock seats, even if the sliders are removed. From the pictures it looks like there's at least 4" that the seat needs to be lowered. I don't think the stock seats can be modified that much, or can they?
    In that picture the stock seat were just thrown in. The sliders were still on the bottom. The FFR mounts were not installed yet.
    here is a picture of me with Kirkie seat in 818r
    P1040436.jpg
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmm, I really need to get this issue solved. There's no way my wife (5'2") will let me (5'11") buy a car that she can't drive. The seat slider would be something that not only slides forward, but also raises the seat for smaller people. I'm also thinking of getting an aftermarket telescoping and tilting steering column which should help. Slowly but surely, this build is looking way more expensive than originally thought... 818 yeah, but with minimal creature comforts, and a driver height of 5'9"-6' required. That crossbar in front of the seat is just lame.

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the bar and added sliders... my wife is 5' 1"
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    What sliders did you use? I am sure you had to add some place to mount also. Any tips?
    Thank you, Dru

Post Thanks / Like
    see my build thread, my sliders came from Cerullo, 20 years ago!

Check out the slider thread that was going somewhere else on the forum for ones now avail. Speedway has some nice low sliders. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...ders,7103.html You may have to fabricate something to make them work. I also modified my seat brackets and am still tweaking my belt mounts. Messed up my back, delay has been weeks due to health!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Is the standard procedure to used fixed aftermarket seats for +6 foot people?

That's what I thought it would be several years ago when the topic first came up.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the stock seats will not work for people over 5'10".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    IMO the stock seats will not work for people over 5'10".
    5' 8"
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    The OE seats will work for guys taller than 5'10" but you've got to work at it. I'm 6'3" tall (32" inseam) and I cut the bottom of the seat frames, cut the FFR brackets, drilled new holes and made one bracket from 2" L-shaped steel stock. I also installed the Boyd tank, bent and cut the panels for the seat side of the rear firewall. And, I removed a lot of foam from the bottom and back of the driver seat. Now the top of my head is at the top of the headrest in this photo and I've got good foot room. The passenger seat is low but not as far back because the passenger has no pedals. I did all this, rather than buy aftermarket seats, because leather upholstery is available for the Subaru seats. (it's an S, not an R)

Yes, it can be done.
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-05-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added photo
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you mount your lower seat belts, both sides?
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't mounted belts yet. I don't even have belts so I'm looking for some. I bolted the female part to the inside of each seat, but that's all I have so far. I know I'll remove the seats many times for belts, wiring and access to the firewall so my modified mounts are reachable from the top with rivnuts. However, the final belt mounts must be to the frame, not just the seats.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Yes, it can be done.
    Kudos to you, sounds like wee a bit of work to say the least.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan, I just ordered belts from SeatBeltsPlus.com based on the photos posted by Aloha818. He has installed them and the reel seems to fit well. I'll post pics once I get them and install them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    In that picture the stock seat were just thrown in. The sliders were still on the bottom. The FFR mounts were not installed yet.
    here is a picture of me with Kirkie seat in 818r
    P1040436.jpg
    Bob
    And how tall are you?

From Davids shot he looks to be even with the roll bar in the R and maybe slightly higher in the S. You need to be 2" below it wearing a helmet (which adds 2" or so), and then you in theory need to pass the broomstick test which is often much harder (but often not enforced).

The production R's appear to have a somewhat higher main hoop, but it looks to me like any wookie will need to re-do the roll cage to be track legal. Semi wookies like me (6'4") may fit with a seat directly on the floor and maybe some extra layback. I definately will test fit before buying. Currently waiting for the STI donor issues to be worked out.
    Last edited by Grintch; 01-30-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grintch View Post
    And how tall are you?

From Davids shot he looks to be even with the roll bar in the R and maybe slightly higher in the S. You need to be 2" below it wearing a helmet (which adds 2" or so), and then you in theory need to pass the broomstick test which is often much harder (but often not enforced).

The production R's appear to have a somewhat higher main hoop, but it looks to me like any wookie will need to re-do the roll cage to be track legal. Semi wookies like me (6'4") may fit with a seat directly on the floor and maybe some extra layback. I definately will test fit before buying. Currently waiting for the STI donor issues to be worked out.
    I am 6ft even and 280#
    I need to take some better pictures of me in my car.
    I'm using a Kirkie KIR-47900 seat 15 deg layback 18" hip width.
    I have the seat mounted on the floor and mounted as back as far as possible with no gas tank.
    My son is 6' 3" (longer legs). We are both comfortable and low enough in this position.
    If your 6'4" then you should test the blue and white car or one that is configured like it.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-30-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you throw on a helmet and have someone broom stick test you? Comfortable and legal are two different things. And just to be clear, is yours a S or R?

Post Thanks / Like
    Broomstick test? We don't need no stinking broomstick test!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Open House photos.

I'm 6'6" and around 315 when these shots were taken. The R had a wookie mod that moved the seat back 3". The S did not. I would be able to drive either car but the R was definitely more comfortable.

Boyd Welding has come up with a new tank design that allowances for the wookie mod without losing significant gas storage.
    HTH,
    Looks to me like the top of your head is about level with the top of the main hoop. This is a fail given that it needs to be 2" below it, plus likely even more below it to pass the broomstick test. And this is BEFORE you put on a helmet that is going to add another couple of inches to your height and make things even harder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12