FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Breeze Seat Mounts - Alternative Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Seat Mounts - Alternative Installation

I bought the Breeze seat mounts because I wanted the angled-back installation, but decided to do a slightly different installation method because of the apparent inability to access the rear mount nut next to the trans tunnel. I was less concerned about the ease of adjustment, but in the end, this method retains the adjustability with the removal of four bolts and four nuts.

I started by locating both seats and Breeze mounts with the aluminum floor pans and rear bulkhead in place - no floors in this photo as I wanted to show where the primary bolts pass through the lower Breeze mount and into the chassis (evidenced by the five clecos in this pic). With the exception of the one in the lower right corner of the picture that passes only through the 1/8" plate that is part of the chassis (that one will have a large fender washer and locknut underneath), the other four primary mounting points are tapped (1/4 - 20) into the chassis - three into 4" tubing and one into the 2" square tube. The remaining holes will have rivets just to help stabilize the mounting and those will either go into the chassis in some places or just through the aluminum floor in others:

Photos available - PM me.

The seat frames are drilled at the corners (not quite to the back corners due to access with the drill) all the way through the 3/4" tubing to allow mounting bolts to pass down to the upper Breeze mount:

The upper Breeze mount, which will be secured to the lower Breeze mount using four keps nuts (instead of two keps nuts and two hand knobs), were then modified with riv-nuts to accept 1/4 - 20 bolts that go through the holes in the seat frame:

Finally, I modified the seat cushion to allow me to sit a bit lower in the car. I cut the lower half of the foam and then glued the remaining upper portion to 1/4" MDF (particle board) that has relief holes to allow for the heads of the mounting bolts. Because the seat cushion is wider at the top than the bottom on the sides, I needed to clearance the sides a bit to allow them to fit with the main seat frame sides. The only part remaining will be to re-install the seat cushion covers, which I'll do using glue (as original), along with a few staples and hog-rings to ensure a tight fit. As was done by FFR, the front of the seat cushion will have the cover wrapped around the front of the seat frame so that the cushion hinges upward to the front and the original velcro at the back will remain.

The final installation process will be as follows:

1) Bolt and rivet the lower Breeze mount to the floor of the car;
    2) Using keps nuts, secure the upper Breeze mount to the lower mount;
    3) Secure the seat frame to the upper Breeze mount by installing 1/4 -20 bolts into the riv-nuts; and
    4) Flip seat cushion down into place and secure at the rear with the velcro.

To adjust the seats, all that is needed it to flip the seat cushion forward, unbolt the seat from the upper mount, undo the four keps nuts holding the upper and lower mount together, reposition the upper mount, then reinstall the seat. Should be able to do that in about 5 minutes per seat. Not the fastest way to adjust the seats, but still allows a good range of adjustment while providing a very firm mounting base with easy access to all hardware.
    Last edited by Gumball; 08-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I did exactly the same to my Breeze seat mounts and I can attest to the improvement. I can adjust the seat (if ever necessary) in about 5 minutes. I was never really able to get to the back nuts without doing this. Heck even the front ones were a bit of a chore.
    One FFR and one VFR. I like symmetry

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, me likey. Thanks for posting.
    Doug
    FFR# 7018, IRS pin drive, 5.0/T5
    FFR# 7228, 3link 4.6 DOHC MK4