Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS CV Joint popping out

Post Thanks / Like

Question IRS CV Joint popping out

There has been an ongoing thread on the other website ( http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...opped-out.html ) regarding a seemingly common problem with roadsters & IRS having a problem with the CV joints coming out, and an acknowledgment (reported per the thread) by FFR that the driver side shaft is 1/2" short at ride height, with a track width of 59 1/2".
    I am currently at the point of "finishing" up the rear of the car, but before taking another opportunity to do something that I get to redo, could you please let those of us with IRS what is really up with this situation, and what the approved solution is? Is it a spacer, new shafts, or are we on our own to secure new shafts from someone like the drive shaft shop?

Thanks in advance

Chris Lewis
    F5R1007652RD
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will be sending spacers out to the effected customers at no charge. They are on order and we are hoping to see them sometime this week. We are also working on having longer axles made, looks like they are about 10 weeks out. The spacers will fix the problem. The axles will cost $30.00 each for customers that would prefer that solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response.
    So the spacers should be showing up at FFR sometime this week, and then you will be working on sending them out.
    I assume the spacers will be located between the inner face of the hub and the outer end of the half shaft?

CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the latest on this?

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I as well are coming to the piont of installing my 1/2 shafts and would like to know what to do? I would rather have the new 1/2 shafts then the spacers? Are they avaliable yet or are they still waiting to come in.

Ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Masters View Post
    We will be sending spacers out to the effected customers at no charge. They are on order and we are hoping to see them sometime this week. We are also working on having longer axles made, looks like they are about 10 weeks out. The spacers will fix the problem. The axles will cost $30.00 each for customers that would prefer that solution.
    Rick - Any word on the spacers? I am trying to plan this weekends work on the car, and would like to get the back end wrapped up.
    Thanks
    CL
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Any news on the spacer? I have this sweet sounding Roadster getting dusty in my garage.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Hi guys,

Any news on the spacer? I have this sweet sounding Roadster getting dusty in my garage.

-Fred
    Any news?

Tech Support, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    we are working on getting the spacers out as soon as possible still waiting for the parts to arrive here. My understanding is they are the way and should be here soon. The longer axles will take a little more time around six weeks. We will ship them as soon as they arrive.

Thanks for the patience,
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Received my "Tech Update" and spacers in the mail today.

Thanks...

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I received the fix and read the instructions. Originally the rear track was to be set at 59.250 from hub face to hub face that is from where the disk mounts. And now that has changed to 58.875 from the outside of the disk mounting surface which is another .281 per side. So the rear track has changed .468 smaller per side which should make any other change unnecessary. But is the new narrower rear track going to cause any other issue with the rear tires hitting any body work?

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got the "fix" in the mail as well... but I don't even have my half shafts yet. I'm hoping this was just an error on FFR's part, since I should be getting the new, longer half shafts when they are finally delivered to FFR?
    Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, I dont think the body work will be an issue, but I would check to make sure you clear the aluminum wall in front of the tire. (Back cockpit wall)

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by CHOTIS BILL View Post
    I received the fix and read the instructions. Originally the rear track was to be set at 59.250 from hub face to hub face that is from where the disk mounts. And now that has changed to 58.875 from the outside of the disk mounting surface which is another .281 per side. So the rear track has changed .468 smaller per side which should make any other change unnecessary. But is the new narrower rear track going to cause any other issue with the rear tires hitting any body work?

Bill Lomenick
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed my spacers on Saturday, really not a big deal and a little added piece of mind. With a 59" width I'm good.

-Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I have # 7287RD delivered in Aug 2010 with std width IRS. I did recieve the spacer kit but would prefer the longer axles. Should I call someone at FFR ?

Bob McWhorter
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it is worth I just received my Mk 4 kit last week which was completed at FFR on 10/20. My half shafts are on back order and I did not get any spacers. The differential is also being sent separately so maybe the spacers would show up in that delivery. I too would prefer the properly sized half shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

wonder what the short axle length is vs the longer correct size?

Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    For what it is worth I just received my Mk 4 kit last week which was completed at FFR on 10/20. My half shafts are on back order and I did not get any spacers. The differential is also being sent separately so maybe the spacers would show up in that delivery. I too would prefer the properly sized half shafts.
    I am wondering if the correct axle length vs the longer axle length has been published, in case I happen to get new axles and they happen to be wrong as well?
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently counting about 32 of us affected by this short axle issue so far.

See link on other site: (http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...ml#post2733260).

I want to know all the options before I proceed as I am not completely comfortable with the spacer fix that FFR has come up with.

So far these have been discussed:

1. Spacers
    2. Replaced center shafts at approx $ 40 each
    3. Complete replacement half shafts at approx $ 120 ~ $150 each.
    Last edited by mcwho; 11-02-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    Baghdad Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    From the other forum: NavyDude posted on 10/17: "I called FFR yesterday, the new axles will be shipped the 1st week in November". If thiis date is met that means next week. Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I installed my spacers 2 weekends ago, only because I'm hoping to go-kart my car this week.
    I am NOT HAPPY with this solution.

When is FFR going to step up and do the right thing? Replace the entire axle assembly no charge!

I'm very disappointed in their stance on this topic.

I called a couple weeks ago and the person I spoke to was very careful about how he responded. Almost sounded coached / scripted / rehearsed.
    I expected more from FFR, they are a GREAT company, don't let this one issue leave a bad taste in your loyal customers' mouths.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!