Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 818 Donor Kits; Donor Beta Program Open To Participants

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    As a (somewhat educated) *guess* off the top of my head, I would think that the ECU pinouts on the '03-'04 ECUs are close to either the earlier or later ones. Subaru doesn't generally make quick back-to-back changes like that. They usually phase in a bit slowly. Swapping to one of those ECUs -that can be tuned- , may turn out to be a fairly easy proposition.
    I can hope for that, and I will certainly research the possibility of swapping my ECU out for an earlier or later one. I would think that a tuning expert such as Bill Knose (the owner of the www.delicioustuning.com website) would be able to verify whether that is doable. I hope so. But isn't there the possibility that the off-year ECU could bugger up some other year-specific function?

I do need to do something. My new Techworks cams help the engine make its peak horsepower right around 6000 RPM, and I've been told that the curve doesn't fall off all that quickly. According to Techworks, I'll probably be bumping into the ECU's rev limiter more than I like. Need to find at least a few hundred more RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This 05 just came in, destined for a NEW 2.5L STi hybrid motor build. Will be available for sale soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy day here today at the shop, some new crates just arrived minutes after our last donor showed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    This 05 just came in, destined for a NEW 2.5L STi hybrid motor build. Will be available for sale soon!

Can you provide more details on what you mean by a "hybrid" motor build?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Can you provide more details on what you mean by a "hybrid" motor build?
    A "hybrid" motor uses 2.0 liter heads and 2.5 liter block.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papajon1000 View Post

Jon
    Phew... no Prius motor!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by papajon1000 View Post

Jon

Mr. Jon is correct. The heads will be chamber matched to the bore of the 2.5 pistons to avoid detonation. These motors perform great when all said and done!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I was looking for more info like:
    1. What is the advantage of this specific hybrid arrangement?
    2. What kind of HP & torque numbers are expected? At the flywheel or at the wheels?
    3. What is the rev range?
    4. Etc...

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    after seeing and reading all the issues with cracking in the 2.0 WRX heads..I am no longer know how I feel about the 2.0L subi engines...the 2.5 heads were redesigned...maybe it's just me...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I guess I was looking for more info like:
    1. What is the advantage of this specific hybrid arrangement?
    2. What kind of HP & torque numbers are expected? At the flywheel or at the wheels?
    3. What is the rev range?
    4. Etc...
    For people who have blown 2.0 motors/Motors that came in wrecked from a donor, its nice to do the 2.5 block for more displacement. Its the same cost as a 2.0 block. Chamber match the heads, clean them up and make sure all is well and you have a nice little setup.

Rev range is the same. When you do headwork (cams, springs, retainers) you can rev them out a bit more.

Horsepower will range largely based on turbo, injectors etc as well as the tune. You will want to get a base map calibrated to the 2.5 block before starting it up and taking it for a blast.

The 2.5 definitely adds more driveability (more pep around town) off boost response etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    after seeing and reading all the issues with cracking in the 2.0 WRX heads..I am no longer know how I feel about the 2.0L subi engines...the 2.5 heads were redesigned...maybe it's just me...
    Definitely something I havent seen much. If theyre cracking its because someone heated the poor motor beyond reason. Ive seen 2.5 heads crack as well, its all in how you treat your motor.

To be honest, the 2.0 motors are pretty bullet proof. I personally run a hybrid setup on my 2002 WRX with just under 400 to the wheels (mustang dyno). I daily drive the car, make long commutes, boost it the way a Subaru was meant to and have had 0 issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard of more issues with head gaskets on 2.5 motors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I've heard of more issues with head gaskets on 2.5 motors...
    yup me to. my NA ej25 head gasket just started to leak, granted it has 170K miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't complain about a head gasket at 170K... My wife's Cadillac Northstar lost one at 70K... $$$

Post Thanks / Like
    170k is definitely some good miles before that kind of maintenance. Its when they go at 60k that its a real nail bitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah 170K is a lot but i have read that they are notorious for going as well. When i do mine ill try and take pictures off the process so people can see how to pull the engine and replace them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't there a couple years of NA EJ25 motors in the mid or late 90's that came with bad gaskets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    Wasn't there a couple years of NA EJ25 motors in the mid or late 90's that came with bad gaskets?
    Yes the EJ25D (dual overhead cams) in the late 90's had problems with internally leaking headgaskets.

The EJ251 (early 2000's single overhead cams) also had problems but with external leaking headgaskets.

A solution to the problem is too use the updated gasket number or use the EJ255 or EJ257 head gaskets.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim@ajwperformance View Post
    Definitely something I havent seen much. If theyre cracking its because someone heated the poor motor beyond reason. Ive seen 2.5 heads crack as well, its all in how you treat your motor.

To be honest, the 2.0 motors are pretty bullet proof. I personally run a hybrid setup on my 2002 WRX with just under 400 to the wheels (mustang dyno). I daily drive the car, make long commutes, boost it the way a Subaru was meant to and have had 0 issues.

Do a search on the nosiac forum...VERY common. They start to crack from the spark plug hole...you're fine as long as the crack doesn't extend to the valve seat. There is a ton of material there. It is whenit makes it to the valve seat that it's game over. Of course my heads each had one chamber each with a crack to the seat...of course

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the cracks you speak of, haven't seen a used 2.0 head without it in a couple years now anyways. Tim probably thought you meant something more drastic, not sure.
    You are correct in terms of it being fine around the spark plug hole, as long as they don't make it to the valve seat. I will take some pics for reference if anyone cares to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted some on my 2002 teardown thread for reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with the 2.0's being relatively bullet proof ive owned three none of which had any issues all well beyond a stage 2 setup one of the wrxs i had was a 2002 i sold to my friend currently has 176,000 miles on the stock everything including clutch pushing (24 psi on a td04 on e85 and many bolt ons) no issues what so ever only thing replaced between 128k miles and 176k miles was spark plugs and routine maintenance really if you find one in good condition as all of mine were they will run forever on good tuning and proper maintenance

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a 05 coming with 60,000 miles next week.

Blog- http://818donors.com/general/factory...013-moochfest/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345