Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tank Problem - Fuel Filler Pipe rubbing on the frame

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank Problem - Fuel Filler Pipe rubbing on the frame

Just trying to put the fuel tank in. Expected this to be one of the easier tasks. However, when I put the straps on (new tank from Factory Five) the fuel filler tube hits the frame as it is coming out of the tank, so does not sit flush with the tank as I suspect it should. The tank seems to be sitting in the right place as it is up against the rubber/plastic stops on the bottom of the frame as required. I also had trouble getting the straps where they need to be, and therefore haven't tightened them beyond a couple of turns of the nut. Somehow I think I'm missing something obvious, but just not figuring it out. Any thoughts are sure appreciated. (I can put spacers in to lower the tank, but that doesn't seem like a good fix). Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have it installed properly. Maybe that bar is welded in the wrong spot. When you say "it does not sit flush" what do you mean?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Sounds like you have it installed properly. Maybe that bar is welded in the wrong spot. When you say "it does not sit flush" what do you mean?
    Mike
    What I meant by "not flush" is that the fuel filler tube is being pushed so that it sits at an angle to the tank due to being pushed by the frame once installed, rather than "square or flush" when the tank was not installed. Interestingly, I did a few more searches on this and other forums and have found that this is an issue with the NEW Mark4 frame. The answer seems to be to either "bend the frame slightly with a big hammer", "Bend the Filler tube by heating it or with a big hammer" or "find some rubber spacers to insert under the plastic caps provided by FF to allow it to site 3/8" lower. I'm going to go with that option as a first attempt... It does certainly seem like there should be a better fit from the factory, and bigger spacers provided with the kit if this is a known problem...

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I did not encounter it with the early Mk4 I built it has been reported a number of times (My personal opinion is that when the trunk was reconfigured shortly after Mk4 production began something went wonky. The early one I did had the version 1 configuration). Here is some discussion and recommended "work around" suggestions.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ghlight=filler

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-hitting-frame

RE: the straps. Use longer bolts temporarily to pull them into shape then swap to the shorter ones.

Good luck,
    Jeff

EDIT---Looks like while I was typing you found some of the same info on your own!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, I think you are right on the timing. I got the rubber spacers in, rebent the straps, glued a rubber patch between the 3/4" frame and the steel fuel filler pipe and all looks good now. Thank goodness for guys like you and the others on the forum. Things like this would be quite frustrating with just the Assembly Manual to go from. It would be great if FF just put out a "KNOWN ISSUE" list and the possible fixes. Their hosting of this forum is a tremendous help, but it does sometimes take some searching to find the solution, where it might be simpler in a different, company sponsored format.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Although I did not encounter it with the early Mk4 I built it has been reported a number of times (My personal opinion is that when the trunk was reconfigured shortly after Mk4 production began something went wonky. The early one I did had the version 1 configuration). Here is some discussion and recommended "work around" suggestions.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ghlight=filler

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-hitting-frame

RE: the straps. Use longer bolts temporarily to pull them into shape then swap to the shorter ones.

Good luck,
    Jeff

EDIT---Looks like while I was typing you found some of the same info on your own!