Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Couple Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Couple Issue

I am trying to install the steering arm with the coupler to the manual steering rack.
    The issue: the coupler only slides on about 1/4" then stops. Lock screw is fully out. No matter the rotational position, it will not slide on.
    I have cleaned and greased the splines and still no joy. It almost looks like a spline mis-match after the 1/4".

Before I start using force and break something, I wanted to ask how this should fit on: with or without force?
    Picture below:

steering coupler.JPG

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's been a long time since I did that task but I do remember it didn't go on so easy as I expected. I had it off and on several times before it finally slipped on (tight fit). I even counted the splines to see if there was some incompatibility. Finally, I tapped it on with a small hammer. I was also worried that I might cause damage to the rack seal if I banged on it so I was very gentle tapping it on. It appears to me from the pic that your rack spines may be a little burred. You might want to take some fine sandpaper and clean those up if those are really burred. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem. After hammering the €£#¥ out of it, I finally sent one shaft, flange bearing & joint back to FFR. They said the wrong size flange bearing was sent out in the kit. They also told me this never happens. I used a metal file on the end of the shafts but a few of them were ridiculously tight fits. Never to come apart.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the info. I'll give the filing a shot then a gentle hammer! :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    In conjunction with filing the shaft a little, you might want to try the hot/cold trick: put the shaft in a freezer or otherwise chill it with something very cold (ice water perhaps), and put the other piece in an oven at maybe 200 degrees. A heat gun should also work. That should be enough to get some expansion. By shrinking one and expanding the other just a little, they might slip together just fine, or with a gentle tap or two.