Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on Rear Suspension...

Post Thanks / Like

Question on Rear Suspension...

I noticed something this weekend and was hoping someone could explain what I found. I have a rolling chassis no engine or trans installed.

Front Shocks: The collars are adjusted to about an inch of the top thread. When I jack up the front end the suspension appears normal the control arms drop and the shocks extend, and the collars separate from the springs. When you let the jack down the suspension settles in.

Now the Question:

Rear Shocks: The rear suspension does not travel. I originally had the collars adjusted so that the spring was snug between the ring and collar. If I jack up the rear it immediately lifts off the ground. I then adjusted the ring down 8-10 threads and thought the weight of the car (limited at this point) should compress the shocks and react the same as the front end, but no change. Everything seems too stiff? Did I do something wrong or is this ok?

I have the Moser 3-Link Rearend....thanks in advance for any insight....

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you jacking it up from? Try disconnectin one shock at a time and see if anything changes.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried jacking from both the pumpkin and bottom of shock mount. I'll try disconnecting a shock to see if there is any change and report back...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Where are you jacking it up from? Try disconnectin one shock at a time and see if anything changes.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    When you jack the pumpkin or under a shock you jack the whole car.

Chuck

QUOTE=Mike6568;66555]I tried jacking from both the pumpkin and bottom of shock mount. I'll try disconnecting a shock to see if there is any change and report back...thanks[/QUOTE]
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be my own inexperience so thanks for bearing with me...

I tried a few different things and here is what I found:

1. If I jack under the right rear shock, the right shock compresses very little (probably because there is very little weight pushing back down) but the opposite side shock opens up considerably (probably because the weight of the rear end is pulling it down).

2. If I jack under the pumpkin the whole car comes up immediately with little movement of the shocks, when you set it back down, same thing very little movement.

Conclusion:
    I'm an idiot and I think everything is fine...

Last Question...is it normal for the very front of the differential to sit only about 1/4" from the panhard bar frame? Again I have the Moser 3-Link. I appreciate you guys for responding...thanks again.

My only concern is the
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm7419 View Post
    When you jack the pumpkin or under a shock you jack the whole car.

Chuck

QUOTE=Mike6568;66555]I tried jacking from both the pumpkin and bottom of shock mount. I'll try disconnecting a shock to see if there is any change and report back...thanks
    [/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike.
    If you are jacking from the pumpkin, the shocks will not more. Think about it. all the weight of the rear of the car is already on the shocks. Your not changing that relationship by doing what you are doing. Try lifting the car by the frame and you will see a different result. Also until the car is fully assembled, there isnt a whole lot of weight in the rear.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha, it makes perfect sense now...I did try lifting the car at the frame, you're right the suspension does droop, up until the rear end rests on the panhard bar frame. I've attached a picture, does everything look right? Thanks again for your insight.Rear End.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Mike.
    If you are jacking from the pumpkin, the shocks will not more. Think about it. all the weight of the rear of the car is already on the shocks. Your not changing that relationship by doing what you are doing. Try lifting the car by the frame and you will see a different result. Also until the car is fully assembled, there isnt a whole lot of weight in the rear.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything looks good to me. If you are still not satisfied, shortning the panhard bar will increase the gap. Good luck! John

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget your axle limiting straps...........
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.