Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: is there an LS3 install guide?

Post Thanks / Like

is there an LS3 install guide?

Hi,

first post and not brave enough to fit a coyote in a 33 just yet. Is there an install guide for the LS series of engines please.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking for the same. I have an LS3 on the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I e-mailed Sally at FFR to ask for the instructions. She e-mailed them to me the next day. Check with her.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have the instructions thanks but what I am also looking for is a list of the items you need to order with regards to engine and transmission. There is one for the crate coyote from Summit Racing so i was hoping maybe there was one for the LS series of engines. I know i should just figure out what I need as i go but I'm around about 5000 miles from the nearest place that sells that kind of stuff. So I was hoping to get a bunch of stuff from summit shipped with engine, clutch and transmission to reduce the amount of messing about with freight etc.

Any suggestions? I'm sure the fuel system stuff is probably the same, and maybe I can go through the Ford list and ask Summit to give me the equivalent for the LS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I too am installing an LS3. I have not installed anything yet but have done extensive research. Most of the major vendors have the entire kit that will bolt up to the LS3 (Hurst, Keisler, Forte's).
    I went with a Keisler RS500. You can also use a Tremec TKO600.
    The RS500 has a wider ratio and a smoother shifting mechanism but is more $$$. Keisler also makes a SS700 that can handle even more power for bigger bucks. Shafi Keisler is very knowledebale and helpfull and has everything I needed including the hydraulic clutch that bolts into our pedal box.
    Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I will see what I can get from one vendor that includes motor, harness, transmission, clutch, bellhousing. Not sure which of the 3 N/A LS3s available from GMPP would be best. Has anyone looked at the LSA? The coyote with supercharger seems to fit under the the hood so the LSA is probably compact enough too but I'm not sure about the front drive belts fitting in and I need the A/C, and it's probably $3-4000 more than I really need to spend. Be handy if someone else had installed one first....

Post Thanks / Like
    So now I'm curious, there's exactly 2" height diff between LS3 and LSA so can anyone with an LS3 tell me if they have more than 2" spare between the top of the intake manifold and the hood please

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ordered your kit with the LS motor option then you get the front mounts you need. Fit perfectly. You will need to get a pair of Hooker 2313 block huger headers. There was an issue with the FF5 pipes mating to the headers. I had to cut and weld the muffler inlet pipe so that the flange would mate to the header connector pipe. I have read that this is being fixed.????
    The transmission mount that comes in the kit may or may not work depending on you transmission selection. I bought a used LS1/4L60E combo so I can't help with any manual trans questions.HotRod (187) (Small).jpgAs you can see from the photo there is PLENTY of room for either motor. The LSA is taller because of the Supercharger. The LS motor is SO much more compact that the Coyote. You will need to get different Alternator and A/C mounting brackets. I used Kwik Performance. Also you will have to decide about an air intake. I got mine from Street & Performance.. You will need a drive shaft as I don't think any of the FF5 will fit the LS install. Don't get a shaft bigger than 3" as it will hit the X frame member. The LS3 and definitely the LSA might be too much motor for the 33 Hot Rod. I have seen many post from completed car with to much horse power if you plan to dive it on the street. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all that, I've got some other stuff to get from street and performance so I'll ask them about the ls as well.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done several LS3 swap in other cars for people and be very carefull about the air intake system. The MAF MUST be a minimum of 10 inches from the throttle body. or the computer wont read the MAF sig properly and car just dont run right. I believe Street and performance did at one time sell a small aircleaner with MAF spot that was way to close to the throttle body. If you go with the GM stand alone engine harness and ECM it is a simple straight forward system. The directions are clear and mention about the 10 inch rule for the MAF. The GM ECM is reprogramed for Headers with free flow exhaust and free flow air cleaner and not to concerned about emissions. Hot rod did a dyno on one engine with Camaro headers and exhaust and it made 495 HP at crank. So with long tube headers and free flow exhaust should be over 500HP. The cars really feel it. There is a guy in Texas that really knows the LS3 swap stuff he helped me in the begining. Called Sequin Speed Shop AKA Corvette corrections, I am not affaliated with him in any way. His Name is Billy Dawson. He builds mostly Corvettes and tri five chevy stuff . but I'm sure could set you up with LS 3 stuff.
    Kenny