Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Multiple front end designs from the factory

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple front end designs from the factory

The aftermarket body kit thread got me thinking....what if Factory Five provided multiple front ends to choose from? I'm not sure if this is possible due to cost, but it would be awesome to have some options to choose from. I don't think the current design is bad, but it is the biggest complaint of potential customers. They could offer maybe 3 different front bumpers that could be easily swapped out due to the lack of painting required.

I could see them offering the current design, a more aerodynamic track version with a nice splitter, and maybe one completely designed by the community (VMAN?). I know I would buy two if the cost was reasonable. I'd love to have a street front end and then swap on my track bumper for track days.

Thoughts on this? Is this even feasible? Dave?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And people would still find something tto complain/dislike about it...........
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few body options could mean more sales for FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Additional body panel options increase costs and overhead (order taking, sorting, etc.). As much as I LOVE options, and would love to see it happen, I just don't think it will. Still, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Additional body panel options increase costs and overhead (order taking, sorting, etc.). As much as I LOVE options, and would love to see it happen, I just don't think it will. Still, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised!
    Agree. Optional bodies and components thereof, beyond what FFR is already planning, should be left to 3rd party interests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Third party only, it would drive cost way up, I don't see why people don't like the look of the prototype, I think it is sick

Post Thanks / Like
    and people wonder why they decided not to mention another word until SEMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Third party only, it would drive cost way up, I don't see why people don't like the look of the prototype, I think it is sick
    I don't think it's an issue of not liking the FFR design (as we've seen it thus far). We are talking about having options. FFR offers multiple rear end options for the Roadster, multiple gauge options, multiple wheel options, etc. That's not to say any one of them of them is bad. Just that people have preferences and it would be nice to see those different preferences accommodated...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I don't think it's an issue of not liking the FFR design (as we've seen it thus far). We are talking about having options. FFR offers multiple rear end options for the Roadster, multiple gauge options, multiple wheel options, etc. That's not to say any one of them of them is bad. Just that people have preferences and it would be nice to see those different preferences accommodated...
    Exactly. I like the design as is, but I think this is a rare opportunity to have multiple options. Even if the car released at SEMA is drastically different then what has been posted I'd still be interested in two front ends. This might not be possible at first, but maybe in the future depending on the success of the 818.
    Last edited by GUNS; 08-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    just wait to sema
    multiple molds, multiple inventory, fitting isues, engineering resource drain costs just creep up...
    yup I'd act like a church mouse just like Dave said too!
    don't you think that this project has huge project deliverables on a hard and fast timeline now!

sometimes you just can't get what you want, you get what you need...

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I just misunderstanding this thread? I don't think anyone that has posted that is in favor of having more [front end] options is expecting those options, let alone expecting them at launch. I took this thread as a discussion about the potential viability of having options: That it would be nice, how do you think FFR would, etc. I would think the intent is for FFR to see this discussion and MAYBE offer some different options IF THEY CAN, WHEN THEY CAN. Am I wrong here?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shim2 View Post
    and people wonder why they decided not to mention another word until SEMA.
    When it comes down to it, WE are the customers. I have no intention of tippy-toeing around this forum, fearful of putting forth suggestions and ideas so as to not upset the guys that want to sell me something. That being said, it's important to remember to be respectful and professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    That being said, it's important to remember to be respectful and professional.
    One should ALWAYS be respectful (and polite) when dealing with others...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree. i don't feel like it's impolite. it's more of a styling opinion than anything else. if you look at all the mods being done to the other kits they sell, it's overwhelming. people want THEIR dream car and ffr shouldn't be insulted at that anyway. as far as i can remember dave smith has always incouraged customization of the cars to satisfy each owner and has praised people for their modifications. it may be more frustrating to hear since the 818 isn't in production yet, but again you can't please everyone with one design. some like the way it comes from ffr and some of us have a saw ready for when our car gets delivered! i have a hard time leaving anything stock! i see the 818 selling well no matter what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I feel like this could only be done aftermarket. FFR is already putting a lot of resources into the 818 development. I don't see them putting extra into cosmetics for a kit car.

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR didn't go black because of critisism, feedback or opinion. They went black because "we" basically said thier product is ugly, had no potential, and should be scrapped. We said all of that before there was even a final 'for sale' version. When asked to chill and wait for something closer to production, "we" persisted with our rants and plees, and even threats ("deal-breaker", "money-in-hand", etc.)

Admittedly "we" may have, or have not, been the vocal minority. No real way of knowing at this point. Also, admittedly, there were lots of apologies after the shutdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I am glad they are not posting any updates. They have two months to get the car done for sema, that leaves no time for the jibba jabba.

Post Thanks / Like
    SEMA, are we there yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually like this idea, think of it like a body kit in a sense, only better. What I mean is something that looks like it was designed from the beginning not something that was just an after thought.

For me I would like to see a better/ opt. rear and front, with the side vent opt. I have shown in some threads, as well as a coupe/targa opt. These can be developed over time either by FFR or something that could be done by people building the car.

But as I have said before, let Dave Smith, Jim and FFR do their thing and allow the design to progress, just like the GTM did.

I think (believe) after the SEMA showing, we will be amazed at what they come out with.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    FFR didn't go black because of critisism, feedback or opinion. They went black because "we" basically said thier product is ugly, had no potential, and should be scrapped. We said all of that before there was even a final 'for sale' version. When asked to chill and wait for something closer to production, "we" persisted with our rants and plees, and even threats ("deal-breaker", "money-in-hand", etc.)

Admittedly "we" may have, or have not, been the vocal minority. No real way of knowing at this point. Also, admittedly, there were lots of apologies after the shutdown.
    2 or 3 idiots did take it too far, even insulting Dave personally. This sadly shut down the constructive 2-way dialogue between us. That being said, nothing wrong with discussing amongst ourselves what we'd like to see, bounce some ideas around, and maybe FFR can use the insight from its builders/customers.