Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Q: should paint come before finishing interior?

Post Thanks / Like

Q: should paint come before finishing interior?

General question:

I am at the point to finish the interior or send out for paint.

Recommendations - benefits of which to come first?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I would leave the interior out until all body work is complete. The sanding dust will get every where. It will be much easier to clean the bare aluminum then to clean all the interior stuff.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The bulk of the interior finishing can, I would even go so far as saying should, be done with the body off. Do a test fit of the seats with the body on to assure that there is no interference (primarily when using high backs) then while the body is off for paint install insulation, carpet, seats (if using low backs), belts, etc. When the body goes on for the final time install the under door fillers & associated carpet, secure the dash and call it done!

All of this was done with the body off:

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Can you share some details on that glove box?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Jeff,

Can you share some details on that glove box?
    http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm

Good product but be patient though. I don't think it's a full time gig for him so it can take a while.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Mike and Jeff said, interior after paint but can you leave the body with your painter? I had my painter mark the gaps and then I took the body off and took it to him. While he was sanding/filling/painting/wet sanding/polishing I had the go-kart so I could add insulation, carpeting and the wet bar.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thsnks for the replies.

one more question- is the body prep done with the body in the frame followed by paint while on the frame? most body shops will require all work to be completed incl paint with body on - no?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Occasionally you'll hear of someone doing the paint with the body on the frame but most often the bulk of prep and paint is done with it off. Even still some fitting, gapping and filling has to be done with the body on to assure the transitions and contours are correct at the interface between moveable panels (doors, hood, deck) and the main body. If you're interested check out my Mk4 bodywork and paint thread linked below for an overview of the process.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thanks Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If in doubt you should contact "Street Rod Painter" or "Batman". Both have painted hundreds of FFR's and Ken Pike (Street Rod Painter) painted my MKI in 2001 with the body off. Ken is in Yuba City, CA and Jeff is in Southern California.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the sequence I used for my build:

1. Complete chassis at least to the point where dash and seats can be installed or mocked up. I chose to complete the interior, including insulation, carpet, etc., but this can be optionally saved to later.
    2. Trimmed and cleaned up body while on body buck. Included all the openings, perimeter of the body, etc. Also took the occasion to grind off the parting lines. In my case, also needed to do a couple of repairs where the glass was a bit thin in the DS front wheel opening and around the trunk opening. Did the work outside in the driveway so dust was kept out of my garage and the chassis.
    3. Installed the body onto the chassis, along with the windshield, splash guards (elephant ears) and front radiator surround.
    4. Fitted and hung the hood, trunk lid and doors.
    5. Checked and mocked up all remaining parts for the body, including lights, latches, etc. Goal is everything checked before paint.
    6. Determined the final location for the seats and attached the dash. The final location in both cases are determined by the body.
    7. Delivered the car to my painter, who finalized all the fitting, and applied filler as needed to match/level the panels. Mine had the usual panel matching issues on the bottom/front of the doors, plus some work on the hood and trunk.
    8. Then, disassembled all and placed the body on the body buck. I took the chassis back home for more work and to stay away from the dusty/dirty body shop environment.
    9. Body underside coating completed. Herculiner in my case.
    10. Body painting and color sanding (cut/buff) completed.
    11. Back to the painter with the chassis, and we installed the body back onto the chassis, hung the panels, etc.
    12. Back home, installed everything else including windshield, lights, splash guards, quick jacks, etc.

Worked well for me. Hope this helps.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure everything is monted on the chassie ones so it fits well and then put the body on a body buck and send it to the painter. Take X-references on the openings before you take it off, check everything before you send the body to paint.

Make a list on what the painter shall do, and make an agreement with him.

Let the painter do the finilized fitings of doors, hood and trunk lid (It's now he need the X-references). It's better to let someone with knowlidge do that part of the work.

During the time the body is painted, do the interior, wait to fix the dash to the frame because the body may have smaller adjustments side to side on the final mount to the chassie.
    //Peter - MK3.1 Roadster, Ford 302" -71, Tremec TKO-500, 3-link Moser axle, 15" Halibrand, Solid dark blue/Wimbledon white..... On the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CS14 View Post
    Make sure everything is monted on the chassie ones so it fits well and then put the body on a body buck and send it to the painter. Take X-references on the openings before you take it off, check everything before you send the body to paint.

Let the painter do the finilized fitings of doors, hood and trunk lid (It's now he need the X-references). It's better to let someone with knowlidge do that part of the work.

During the time the body is painted, do the interior, wait to fix the dash to the frame because the body may have smaller adjustments side to side on the final mount to the chassie.
    Ok Thx - what are X-references?
    Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    :-) Sorry, X-references; measure of the cockpit.

For the painter to make sure the door openings will be right then he do the finally work on the doors. Then the body is on the body buck it is a bit heavy in the rear and that have effect on the door openings.
    //Peter - MK3.1 Roadster, Ford 302" -71, Tremec TKO-500, 3-link Moser axle, 15" Halibrand, Solid dark blue/Wimbledon white..... On the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CS14 View Post

This will work to get the panels fitted into the openings based on the dimensions, but it doesn't guarantee that they will match, and you may have a less then optimal final product in my opinion. This was really true with my Mk3. Even with the improved Mk4, every picture I seen when fitted on the chassis showed build-up required on the doors, and typically some also the hood and trunk lid. The only way you know this is to do the final fitting and filling while the body is mounted on the chassis, as I described. Then remove for all the final primers, sanding, color, clear, etc.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-15-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thxnks for the guidance

Much appreciated