Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2003 SVT Cobra IRS?

Post Thanks / Like

2003 SVT Cobra IRS?

Hi, first time here, still doing my planning. I have located a 2003 SVT Cobra "Terminator" donor car (WOW! Right?). Will the SVT IRS bolt into a standard Mk 4 Four Link Rear Suspension frame, since it will bolt into a solid axle Mustang?

Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like
    The simple answer is no it will not.

The roadster does not have the frame rails of the mustang so the IRS sub-assembly cannot be unbolted from the mustang and bolted onto the roadster.

The roadster IRS frame is set up for thunderbird/cougar/markviii components. The center housing is the only component that I have heard might fit, but the 2000+ SVT's had 31 spline axles and wont be compatible with the FFR supplied axles without some work. the other components needed are the spindles and hubs. The rear spindels from the svt will not fit the FFR design. I think only the 99 hubs had the correct spline count for the FFR axles. HTH.

The sale FFR has going right now will give you $1100 off the IRS option!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    The simple answer is no it will not.

The roadster does not have the frame rails of the mustang so the IRS sub-assembly cannot be unbolted from the mustang and bolted onto the roadster.

The roadster IRS frame is set up for thunderbird/cougar/markviii components. The center housing is the only component that I have heard might fit, but the 2000+ SVT's had 31 spline axles and wont be compatible with the FFR supplied axles without some work. the other components needed are the spindles and hubs. The rear spindels from the svt will not fit the FFR design. I think only the 99 hubs had the correct spline count for the FFR axles. HTH.

The sale FFR has going right now will give you $1100 off the IRS option!
    Thanks; that's why I was asking about the non-IRS FFR frames. I hate to waste the SVT IRS, I was going to try for a full Terminator drive train. Do you think it's possible to fabricate and add the required mounts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 2003 terminator is a killer setup and CAN be done in an FFR IRS chassis.

THE MAN who is the pioneer of this build configuration is Sergio Trejio. Check out his build site:
    http://www.venomxs.com/index.php?opt...layout=default

He says specifically that you CAN use the 2003 IRS on a FFR IRS chassis. It's not a completely bolt on affair but it can, and has been, done. See his site for details.

I'd contact him and discuss your build. He has several contact links on his site.

PS if you go that route make sure to post a ton of pics on how you did it for future builders!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)