BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear glass

Post Thanks / Like

Rear glass

We purchased our car back in 2009. I installed one of the factory 5 Roof scoops and I'm having trouble with the fitment of the rear glass. When looking at the car from the rear, the arc is different that the opening at the front and when looking at the car from the side the arc of the glass does not follow the contour of the roof line. And last the opening towards the rear is too narrow for the glass to fit into the body. What I was wondering is that since the roof scoop is part of the Gen II package, is the rear glass/window different and if it is would it eliminate at least some of our troubles if we just purchased a Gen II window? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to say this, but if you search the "other forum" you will find that all these issues are "normal" and then the associated fixes for them. The only way to fix the shape of the glass issue is to use polycarbonate and make your own. Word was that the new glass was going to be "different", but AFAIK, the shape is the same and it is just reduced in dimension slightly to make it easier to fit, but it still sounds like people are having issues where fiberglass is having to be "adjusted" in order for the new rear windows to fit properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was affraid of. I have read the threads on this issue and was hoping for a silver bullet with the new body style. I suspected that the cars that had rear glass that matched the contour of the car were PC. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there is the "sand the glass" method that seems to have worked for some, and not for others. Other than that, you're gonna be adjusting the fiberglass to get all the seams looking right, AKAIK.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am really thinking about this custom rear hatch from Shane just for those reasons...
    GTM Hatch

Post Thanks / Like
    That's some good thinking
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked on fitting the rear glass last weekend, and the body needed some reworking even for the newer smaller window.
    In the matter of "sanding" down the glass I talked to a proffesional glass manufacturer, and acording to him the hardening process do not go all the way to the edge, it is approx 2-4 mm all around a hardened glass that do not have the complete hardeninmg process, that is why that sanding could work, this is only what I was told I don not now if this is correct, but it sounds resonable.

I got Shanes wing yesterday, that absolutely makes the car. Thanks again Shane.
    Thomas

Gtm #187, AC, Kooks Exhaust, Paddelshifter, G50-03 with Quife LSD, Std Ls1(for now)
    Build site: www.gtmsweden.se

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTM-S View Post
    I worked on fitting the rear glass last weekend, and the body needed some reworking even for the newer smaller window.
    In the matter of "sanding" down the glass I talked to a proffesional glass manufacturer, and acording to him the hardening process do not go all the way to the edge, it is approx 2-4 mm all around a hardened glass that do not have the complete hardeninmg process, that is why that sanding could work, this is only what I was told I don not now if this is correct, but it sounds resonable.

I got Shanes wing yesterday, that absolutely makes the car. Thanks again Shane.
    Thanks Thomas! As far as sanding the glass.....been there- done that. Got it all sanded down on a friday....came in the shop on Monday and it was in a million pieces on the floor. Wouldn't recommend it
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of sanding the glass, but after I talked to my glass maufacturer, I decided to go the route of reworking the body insted just to be sure not to have the hole garage full of glass pieces. I think I got it quite good, but along the sides the glass is a bit higher than the body, I guess I need to add som body filler in that area, the problem is the "double hump", I dont want to make it more obvius, how has you guys solved that?
    Thomas

Gtm #187, AC, Kooks Exhaust, Paddelshifter, G50-03 with Quife LSD, Std Ls1(for now)
    Build site: www.gtmsweden.se