Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: so what did you do about bellhousing ground clearance?

Post Thanks / Like

so what did you do about bellhousing ground clearance?

I have fit the coyote into the frame as soon as I got it - right away saw that I needed spacers on the mounts to raise the Moroso pan above the frame.
    I made some spacers that were 7/16" thick (little thicker than the Whitby ones). This basically made the bottom of the Moroso pan even with the frame rail. (maybe still even a little low - might make 1/2" spacers down the road).

Just bolted up the Quicktime bellhousing and low-and-behold the flange/blockplate is gonna be WAY below the frame rail. Looks like the actual bell part of the housing is even with the bottom of the oilpan (see pic). What did you guys do about this?

My (probably bad) idea is get the metabo out and start cutting the bottom of that flange out. That will probably impact the "bomb-proof"-ness of the bellhousing, but I don't care if the flywheel and clutch end up shooting downwards out of the car. Plus I don't think cutting that flange out will make much of a difference to the strength of the overall housing anyway.

20120831_181412.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very typical even without the Coyote. Cut away.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind - i see that cutting the flange off is common. I had the word "coyote" in my forum searches. When I pulled it out, the answer became clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    btw: for future forum searcher reference, my quicktime bell to crank alignment was out by 0.011" CENTERLINE. After lots of thinking, consulting with Mike F., and checking Ford factory specs, I am leaving it as is. If down the road I have shifting problems, I will maybe know why.