Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inertia switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Inertia switch.

Can anyone help?

The manual is not clear on the orientation of the Inertia switch as to how it is placed.

My logic says it should be fitted with the red button pointing directly to the ground or can it be fitted at an angle?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all the cars that I've driven, the re-set button is on top.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray

If I think about it pointing skyward I wonder if it is not defeating the object of of the switch.When you push the button inward it seems tore-engage the ball by magnet.

The design I think dislodges the ball if there is a sudden stop.To reset it if it dislodges incorrectly one seems to push the ball back to rejoin the magnet.

If it could just fall back into place without it being re-set by hand it would defeat the object of the switch.

I don't know and I want to be sure I fit it properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron -U are correct I have just found it in a Ron Francis manual where it clearly says point upwards.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to change mine! I pointed the button down! I thought that was how it worked! If you need to reset it, how to you reach it if it's on the top?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They say either straight up or straight down, either way, just not sideways.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you are NOT using fuel injection nor an electric fuel pump, is there a need for this switch?
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you were in an accident would you not want the fuel pump and car to shut off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maczter View Post
    If you are NOT using fuel injection nor an electric fuel pump, is there a need for this switch?
    No.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am running a manual pump off of the engine.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the inertia switch is not needed if your running a mechanical pump off the motor. Can the switch be cut out? If so do you need to splice the 2 wires together? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    It sounds like the inertia switch is not needed if your running a mechanical pump off the motor. Can the switch be cut out? If so do you need to splice the 2 wires together? Thanks!
    The inertia switch is attached to a relay that powers the electric fuel pump circuit. No electric fuel pump, no need for the switch. On my Mk4 build I cut out the switch and tied the two leads together. Then I had a nice relay switched circuit that I used for the 12V aux outlets under my dash. Note I also removed the fuel pump leg from the rear harness. I didn't want it flopping around back there on top of the fuel tank. I could have just tied it to one of the other wires, but chose to remove it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.