Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 818 SEMA Update WITH PICS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

818 SEMA Update WITH PICS!

I just learned that FFR is bringing three 818's to SEMA! A chassis, a street version roadster and an 818R.

The 818R will be painted to match the renderings shown earlier this year.

No other info is forthcoming, but now we know they are bringing 3 chassis to SEMA

I CAN'T WAIT!

EDIT: More info IS forthcoming! Read on!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... Cant Wait.... Exciting times at FFR....

B

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave told us that they were doing the 3 chassis approach for SEMA a couple months ago... I'm sure that is why they are so busy!

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a rush to the finish line. I was there a few weeks ago and they said they had not installed one body panel yet . They also told be the white/blue rendering is one of a few cars they are bringing to SEMA. Can't wait to see the finished product at SEMA. Exciting times ahead for F5R.

Come on leak us some more info......

Post Thanks / Like
    can't wait to see this thing finally become real!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Inside Info!!

I became aware of some inside info today and I'm still recovering from it! I am VERY excited to see this thing in real life!

Here is some of the additional inside info, leaked to me today. I, as ever, remain committed to FACTUAL info and got verification from my inside source before posting this.

Ready?

• FFR will indeed have three 818's at SEMA; A street car (likely painted red metallic), the 818R (which will debut in KONI shocks display in same graphics as rendering) and a rolling chassis (with the twin-turbo legacy engine) in the FFR display.
    • FFR will launch the car as a roadster and will hit the $9900 price point target. A soft top is planned to be offered concurrently with launch made by rod tops (same as high-line cobra and 33 HR).
    • Body panels on the first 3-5 cars will be red gel-coated hand-laid fiberglass and the plan is to quickly transition to resin-infused or thermo-formed plastic (no paint) panels that are in-process currently.
    • The subject of DEPOSITS was discussed and the current info is that FFR MIGHT take deposits at, or just after SEMA!

There is more MAJOR news, that I may release soon. This will be an EXCLUSIVE to TheFactoryFiveForum.com! Stay tuned!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news. Even if a bit expected, because Dave laid out the plans to us months ago, before the blackout.

Interesting on the choice of a Legacy twin turbo motor. Could be an effort to show commitment to a world car? Could be just a cheap eBay purchase? Could be both?

A tad (small tad!) dissapointed that the body panel situation isn't 100% sorted yet. I'm sure it will be after the first beta builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any news is good news. I am hoping that more chasis will be available as they are easier/cheaper to ontain. There are lots more 95-99 imprezas than 2002-2007.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Interesting on the choice of a Legacy twin turbo motor. Could be an effort to show commitment to a world car? Could be just a cheap eBay purchase? Could be both?
    iirc dave said a while ago that they wanted to show both sides of the 818 - the basic street version, and then an example of what could be done with it performance wise...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM;

What kind of HP is stock? I thought there was a discussion about the exhaust routing with this motor not allowing it to work? I maybe be wrong

A tad (small tad!) dissapointed that the body panel situation isn't 100% sorted yet. I'm sure it will be after the first beta builds.
    what do you think the weight differences will be between the first fiberglass ones to the final production plastic pieces?

Post Thanks / Like
    So where should we all meet

Also, bit of a weird question since we are in the 818 section but do we know if there will be any other FFR cars such as the roadster, coupe and '33?

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW..... There will be a major responsibilty resting on the shoulders of the SEMA attendees.......

The rest of us want PHOTOS.... Tons of photos. Pack extra batteries and memory cards, please.<LOL>

John

Post Thanks / Like
    enough photos to create a 3D model of both cars inside & out

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to know how many body panels there are, if the front rear are clam shell, and were the parting lines are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Jim & the FFR 818 development team!

It must be mayhem in the shop getting three 818s ready plus all of the other cars and show material FFR is bringing.

Just throwing an idea out there. Perhaps after the show the 818s could find their way over to the speedway for some video footage?

Thank you David Hodgkins and all of the others who will be giving updates from SEMA!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MORE info...

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I would like to know how many body panels there are, if the front rear are clam shell, and were the parting lines are.
    Here is some new info regarding the body panels:

There are currently 13 body panels for the street car. There are currently 10 panels for the 818R (no door liners or hood liner).

1. front lower nose 2. pass fender 3. driver fender 4. front hood 5. front hood liner (in-process) 6. pass rear 1/4 panel 7. driver rear 1/4 panel 8. rear tail clip 9. rear deck hatch/cowls 10. pass door 11. pass door liner (in-process) 12. driver door 13. driver door liner (in-process).

In addition, there is a front cargo splitter, carbon side skirts, and carbon rear diffuser and rear aero wing.

There MIGHT be new VISUAL news released tomorrow, but no guarantee (hedging my bet, begging for an OK to release).

From the pics I've seen, there are no body seams visible, and the parting lines (where panels come together) are strategically placed. The car, in pics I've seen, looks absolutely killer. The chassis has continued to evolve, especially in differences between the 818 street and 818R chassis. In particular, the side impact area has been beefed up substantially, there are more stiffness bars visible and there is now a difference between the 818 street and 818R roll hoops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dave, do you know if there will be other FFR cars at the show?

Post Thanks / Like
    You just made my mouth water just READING your last post Dave. As much as i am looking at a GTM, I am also interested in the 818 as it looks like it will be a great project. Cant wait to see the pictures and the official release.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave! .....and Dave......and Jim.....and......and......and..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    You just made my mouth water just READING your last post Dave. As much as i am looking at a GTM, I am also interested in the 818 as it looks like it will be a great project. Cant wait to see the pictures and the official release.

P
    Yea, hopefully after the 818 build it'll be possible for me to build the GTM, or just might build another 818 if it even slightly meets the standards that I'm thinking it will!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like a kid waiting for Santa. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    Me too!
    Sounding good, I have all my donors parts ready to build the kit, would really like to put a deposit down asap. I hope that is a option because I hate having parts lie around when everyone in my subie circle calls me for parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Sounding good, I have all my donors parts ready to build the kit, would really like to put a deposit down asap. I hope that is a option because I hate having parts lie around when everyone in my subie circle calls me for parts.
    My dad and I bought a Subaru impreza for gutting it but then decided against it because it was just to good to gut. We bought a package from AWJ Performance and that should be getting here around november or so I think is what they said. But yea, hopefully they'll at least let us put down a deposit for the 818 , only problem is like dave said that the first couple won't have the resin-infused or thermo-formed plastic..... Hopefully that won't be the case because I'm hoping to get an early chassis number but if I have to wait a bit for them to roll out with the no-paint option I will I guess even if it pains me to see everyone else working on their 818s'

Post Thanks / Like
    All (mostly?) great news!

Side impact: Glad to hear this. Never cared much (as I'm a rather good driver) but my wreck in my 06 WRX really impressed upon me that it's not my driving I need to be concerned about, it's others driving that needs some work at times. Since then I've cared more about safety. Side impact protection is great.

Gel coat/thermo formed: So, if I want in early, or even place a deposit, I get a red car? I noticed you used "painted" a lot, implying these models shown won't be using the final process. Is this just to be a time saver for Sema? I actually like the white/blue rendering and wonder if the car can come in the color from FFR.

818R vs roadster: Door liners are inside body panels I assume, what is the hood liner? Do the door liners not come on the 818R simply for weight savings, or do they not physically fit? Interested to see the other differences. Interested in the look (and cost) of the carbon parts and whether or not they are DD worthy, or if they'd become an expensive piece of road debris after the first pothole.

Deposits: Any benefit (discount?) to being an early adopter besides being first?

Visual: PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSEEEEEE!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    ^lol^

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow,

Great news/update! Looking forward to the next visual update too!

My donor parts are about 90% ready so other than the LSD install that I have not identified a vendor for yet all my donor parts will be painted, powdercoated or rebuilt within the next week or two

Can't wait

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Side impact: Glad to hear this. Never cared much (as I'm a rather good driver) but my wreck in my 06 WRX really impressed upon me that it's not my driving I need to be concerned about, it's others driving that needs some work at times. Since then I've cared more about safety. Side impact protection is great.
    The side impact area I was referring to was on the 818R. It looked like it was beefed up to pass SCCA (Race) standards. The side impact for the street roadster looks at first blush to be more substantial than a current C-car. Which means that if you want to do mods to your street car for ultimate race cage protection, there is an upgrade path.

Gel coat/thermo formed: So, if I want in early, or even place a deposit, I get a red car? I noticed you used "painted" a lot, implying these models shown won't be using the final process. Is this just to be a time saver for Sema? I actually like the white/blue rendering and wonder if the car can come in the color from FFR.
    I'm assuming the body panels will be finalized by the time the 818 is released to the public. The first 2-3 cars are spoken for anyway. Grassroots Motorsports is selected to build production car chassis #002 for their readers. (I hope it's OK to say that) D. Smith is keeping chassis 001. Chassis #3 MIGHT be delegated to, well, I can't get into that yet. The next few after that will go to Beta builders. So going by the quote earlier, the body should be fully finalized before any non-beta user receives delivery.

818R vs roadster: Door liners are inside body panels I assume, what is the hood liner? Do the door liners not come on the 818R simply for weight savings, or do they not physically fit? Interested to see the other differences. Interested in the look (and cost) of the carbon parts and whether or not they are DD worthy, or if they'd become an expensive piece of road debris after the first pothole.
    Same as door liners. The hood has an outer and inner surface, like the doors. Current spec racers only us outer panels, no liners. I don't have any other info about the rest...

Deposits: Any benefit (discount?) to being an early adopter besides being first?
    No idea, I'm guessing probably not.

Visual: PLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSEEEEEE!
    I feel like the cat that swallowed the Canary. The 818's going to Vegas aren't done being built yet but I've seen pics of the 818R with body panels in place, as well as pics of the roadster chassis. I'm currently begging the powers that be for permission to post them...

Post Thanks / Like
    laksjdlaksjdlkajslkdjalksjdasd....... Honestly I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep until they unveil the 818! Hopefully you're right that they will be able to get the panels' done by the time they release it to the public. Also, what do you mean by beta builders, is that open to the public or is it just a couple shops here and there or something of that nature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    what do you think the weight differences will be between the first fiberglass ones to the final production plastic pieces?
    No idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Hey Dave, do you know if there will be other FFR cars at the show?
    I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    .../what do you mean by beta builders, is that open to the public or is it just a couple shops here and there or something of that nature?
    In the past it was experienced FFR builders by invitation. At least that's how I remember it for the '33 and GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do I have a picture in my head of a group of FFR folks in the back of a tractor trailer finishing up the prototypes? It really impresses me that FFR heard that we want to see the different models and they are coming through with it. Can't ask for more than that.

Like timmy318, I hope this will be the first of two FFR that I want to build. The GTM seems to be a bit much to take on as a first build. Plus the cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm...maybe I should build an 818 first and then a 289FIA Roadster. Did you talk to Dave for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I feel like the cat that swallowed the Canary. The 818's going to Vegas aren't done being built yet but I've seen pics of the 818R with body panels in place, as well as pics of the roadster chassis. I'm currently begging the powers that be for permission to post them...
    Well I am back now and glad that there is finally some new info to read. I had almost forgotten this project! ... Just kidding

Just dying to see the actual car images so please beg harder Dave Hodgkins! hahaha...
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bill (2FAST),

I'll mention it when I talk to him this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    Like timmy318, I hope this will be the first of two FFR that I want to build. The GTM seems to be a bit much to take on as a first build. Plus the cost.
    Well for me it is the cost. I've already built a '33 with my dad but I also feel that can't compare with a GTM build. Each car has it's own set of hic-ups that need to be addressed but I'm not ready to lay that kind of money on a car like that when I can make an 818 that is hopefully more comfortable and versatile than the GTM for a quarter of the cost. Don't get me wrong, the GTM looks AMAZING!!!! But, the 818 will have to do for now due to all the excitement in me dying to see it & finally being able to build it after a LONG LONG wait ! And yes, David Hodgkins you've been great with the info so far but... As everyone else is saying, stop teasing us with all that juicy info and hand it over!!!
    Last edited by timmy318; 09-23-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Grammar lol :P

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I need to go on vacation more often. I was gone for 6 days and all this great info on the 818 came out. I'll go on another this weekend to further the info comng out. LOL. I am ready with all my donor parts as well. I can wait till they are up to normal production. I want to see the list of options. Hopefully after SEMA the picture will be more clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never tried this myself, but everyone always tells me it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. I think that means you post pics now, and tell Dave later (or let him find out by himself, hopefully when you're not within arms reach).

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've never tried this myself, but everyone always tells me it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. I think that means you post pics now, and tell Dave later (or let him find out by himself, hopefully when you're not within arms reach).

HEHE, That's a good one!

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast