BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 wheel options

Post Thanks / Like

818 wheel options

Was wondering what plans were for wheel size choices (dia., width, offset). I basically want the biggest/widest wheel possible, without sacrificing any performance. I've always liked the looks of the 18" audi R8 5 spoke Y alloy rims. Let me know if you think those might work. Any help would be appreciated. Link below

http://www.**********wheels.com/spec...lloy+18x8+Rim/

Post Thanks / Like
    The Bolt pattern on that particular set of wheels won't work. The impreza is 5x100 and if you're willing so swap out for STI hubs that bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Obviously the OEM wheels work. Depending on year, they were 16x6.5 and 17x7. Offset was 55, but not sure if that's on all the wheels. With this being a kit, who knows how much room we'll have back there for a wheel. After SEMA we should be able to see how much room and maybe have actual dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Big tires are useless if you can't get heat into them. Such a light car, it maybe overkill. However a little wider in the rear might help fight a MR's weight transfer and snap oversteer. (ie; 911 GT2, 18x9F 18x12R)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    From a Price, Weight, Performance stand point I think there's only two wheels to consider.

Enkei RPF1, or

Kosei K1-TS

You can get cheaper but it's heavy.
    You can get lighter but it's expensive.
    I think these two are the perfect balance between the two conditions
    I'm still of the same opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    This SITE allows you to select the bolt pattern and size of wheel.

I think THESE look pretty nice!

HERE is another very helpful tool/site that I believe someone on this forum shared a while back.
    Last edited by WonderDude; 10-02-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the weights?

Consider SSR wheels, especially the Type-C which I have on my MX5. Click on the wheel size for the weights, they're not too bad at all:

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/typec_171819.asp

Edited to add, this car, like the MX5 will be very sensitive to wheel weights, the lighter the better and don't worry about getting heat into them, on the track it will be easy, on the streets... well I run Bridgestone Potenza RE11s on my SSR Type-C wheels on my Miata and by the time I've gone half a mile to a mile without being aggressive in the slightest, they are warm enough so that traction isn't a concern in any normal driving conditions (especially legal driving conditions), though admittedly this is in Texas where it's always hot along with the ground.
    Last edited by Benji; 10-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info. Guess I'll have to wait 'till sema. Not sure on the weights. Has anyone had any experience with wheel bolt pattern adapters? Do they effect performance at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruff McGruff View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with wheel bolt pattern adapters?
    Never do this. You will never get it balanced/centered correctly and you'll put additional stress on the bearings. You'll have less head aches just wholesale swapping the hub for the bolt pattern you want. OR just buy wheels that fit.

Only consider wheel bolt pattern adapters for things like tractors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What are the weights?
    17x8 inch Enkei RPF1 wheels 7.08 kg and $243
    17x8 inch Kosei K1-TS wheels 6.94 kg and $219
    Last edited by Rasmus; 10-03-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added price

Post Thanks / Like
    17x7.5 inch Volk CE-28 wheels 6.3kg

I had a set of 5x114.3 CE-28 but sold them because the 818 is 5x100. CE-28 are pricey though

Post Thanks / Like
    If the 818 will be 5x100 then:

17x7.5 inch SSR Type-C wheels 6.75kg and $510
    17x8 inch SSR Type-C wheels 6.85kg and $515

Post Thanks / Like
    Just noticed the

17x8 inch Kosei K4R 6.71kg and $199. Don't like the look myself but there's no accounting for taste.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will probably be rocking an 18x8 RPF1 myself. At 18lbs and around $275 they are tough to beat. Most likely will run a 245/40R18 tire.. my old tire setup was 24.9" diameter, this should give me about 25.6" diameter should help the gears not run out so fast, even if just ever so slightly. Maybe a 245/45R18 tire... heavier though.. We'll have to see how much room there is.

maybe we'll all get lucky and 17s will look right on the 818... looking forward to see what they are running at Sema.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The K1-TS's have the air bleed too so if you have the access to/luxury of running nitrogen...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would like lighter wheels, but I would take less rotational inertia over steering response so I would go a smaller diameter. Still wide though, especially in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd bet that many wheels in 18x9 will fit but you will hear many different opinions on what will be the best tire setup for that size on the 818.

I'm wondering why there is so much talk about 18" wheels, I am all for a lightweight 17x9 with a 255 tire, something with a low OD to also keep the rotating mass as small and lightweight as possible.
    I wonder if anyone will bother to try the autox'ers "commonly used secret weapon" 285/30R18 tire size on an 818 because of its low OD

also, there are many used sets of high quality lightweight wheels like TE37's, etc. in 5x100 that are 17x8 and 17x7.5 that many Impreza guys might think are too skinny to too small (not 18") so they are still on the market, I'be be super stoked to rock a set of 17x7.5 SSR Type C that would be as light as can be!

I also wonder how long it will take for an 818 to get "stanced" with some super wide wheels and maybe a less than optimal tire setup but with looks that please a growing crowd of people worldwide.
    Last edited by LS1RX7owen; 10-04-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1RX7owen View Post
    I'm wondering why there is so much talk about 18" wheels,
    I thought I was the only one who mentioned running 18s. If a 17 looks right on the car, I'm all for it, cheaper wheels.

as for 285s I might rock them on track day, but seems like a LOT of tire for such a light car... a set of hoosiers for $1400 and a set of 5x100 18x10s might be pricey (exception rotas?) might be out of the budget for a while.

i dont know if i would go the stupid amounts of grip route until we know what spring rates/sway bars will be available.

Post Thanks / Like
    What there plans for sway bars? I thought I saw that there not useing factory bars? Maybe tubular. If so they can be made cockpit adjustable. And since there coil overs there's an infinite number of spring rates available.

Post Thanks / Like
    For Solo/Autocross I'd consider using 15x9 or 15x10 wheels. HPDE brake package be-damned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LS1RX7owen View Post
    I also wonder how long it will take for an 818 to get "stanced" with some super wide wheels and maybe a less than optimal tire setup but with looks that please a growing crowd of people worldwide.
    My 818 will be more focused towards looks than performance. I'm not into "Hella flush" too much but my wheels will be more looks than performance oriented.

Post Thanks / Like
    For all but the most serious (i.e. hard core competition folks), I think people will be surprised at the amount of grip offered by the stock setup with just a decent - not over the top or super high performance - tires. Of course, I could be wrong, but it's free to find out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    For all but the most serious (i.e. hard core competition folks), I think people will be surprised at the amount of grip offered by the stock setup with just a decent - not over the top or super high performance - tires. Of course, I could be wrong, but it's free to find out...
    Agree. I may opt to use the stock 16 X 6.5" wheels, but with 225/50 performance street tires rather than the stock 205/55's. Should provide more adhesion than I need at the horsepower level I'm targeting. And as you point out -- it's doesn't cost anything to try it with the stock tires before going to the larger size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    you are probably spot-on and with such a lightweight car it will thrive on some smaller wheels/tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    Agree. I may opt to use the stock 16 X 6.5" wheels, but with 225/50 performance street tires rather than the stock 205/55's. Should provide more adhesion than I need at the horsepower level I'm targeting. And as you point out -- it's doesn't cost anything to try it with the stock tires before going to the larger size.
    I had 225/50R15 potenza RE-01R then RE-11s on a stock 05 rim for a while... gripped great on a heavy *** wrx... I imagine it would be even better on a lighter car? although I imagine weight on the tires counts for something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    What there plans for sway bars? I thought I saw that there not useing factory bars? Maybe tubular. If so they can be made cockpit adjustable. And since there coil overs there's an infinite number of spring rates available.
    as of right now, no sway bars have been mentioned. just hoping for them... changing endlink position on an adjustable swaybar is easier and cheaper than having to swap 4 springs everytime you change wheels and tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I had 225/50R15 potenza RE-01R then RE-11s on a stock 05 rim for a while... gripped great on a heavy *** wrx... I imagine it would be even better on a lighter car? although I imagine weight on the tires counts for something.
    I have RE11s on my Miata and they are fine once you are mile down the road, though I do live in Texas. I can just get by through the rain storms we get here occasionally but I'm constantly on edge and concentrating very hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like 6ULR wheels were (are?) available in 17x9 and 17x10. It looks like 5x114 was more common, but some 5x100 sets were made. 17-18lbs each. 15" 6UL's are really popular on Miatas, I don't know what 949Racing has planned for the 17" line.

http://web.archive.org/web/201012232...LR-wheels.aspx

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind, the 02-05 WRX wheels wont clear the 06/07 WRX 4/2pot brakes without a 5mm spacer up front. However, the 6 spoke 16"x7" 2.5 RS wheel (98-01)will clear the 06/07 brakes with no spacer, looks better and is 1/2" wider!

There's also some decent 15" wheels that will clear the 4/2pot brakes as well for you auto-x guys that want to run a 15" tire/wheel combination (SSR type-c, speedline etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    It looks like 6ULR wheels were (are?) available in 17x9 and 17x10. It looks like 5x114 was more common, but some 5x100 sets were made. 17-18lbs each. 15" 6UL's are really popular on Miatas, I don't know what 949Racing has planned for the 17" line.

http://web.archive.org/web/201012232...LR-wheels.aspx
    very good to know thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my Miata 949 6UL wheels. I bought 3 sets. Currently no 5x100s on site. I will email Emilio (owner ofm949) just to put a bug in his ear.

Rasmus are you going to run staggerd set up for solo? I run 245 45 15" Hoosiers on one set of my 9" 949 6ULs (my little 1.6 Mista can't justify 10" on rear for track.

If anyone needs a good Miata with 4 sets of wheels I'M me.
    Last edited by mrvwcastner; 09-02-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: grammer/spacing