Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jdm ej20?

Post Thanks / Like

Jdm ej20?

First just wanted to say hello..been looking at the 818 since the concept was introduced..still waiting patiently..well I guess my wife says I'm not being patient haha.

So I was looking at a JDM version of the EJ20 shipped from Japan..and does anyone know how it would work registering that without a VIN? (I dont know if cars in Japan have a VIN?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbksv View Post
    First just wanted to say hello..been looking at the 818 since the concept was introduced..still waiting patiently..well I guess my wife says I'm not being patient haha.

So I was looking at a JDM version of the EJ20 shipped from Japan..and does anyone know how it would work registering that without a VIN? (I dont know if cars in Japan have a VIN?)
    You have to register as a custom and use the vin of the donor or ffr product vin , but each state has its own rule. You can't is the vin of the motor . The DMV can help you out if you call them, I am in the process of getting the info in rhode island

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know what is needed for MA. OP I also plan on going with a JDM engine.

Also for an inspection sticker in MA 96+ you need to plug into OBDII for inspection. How does it work with a custom car in MA??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0100 View Post
    Anyone know what is needed for MA. OP I also plan on going with a JDM engine.

Also for an inspection sticker in MA 96+ you need to plug into OBDII for inspection. How does it work with a custom car in MA??
    The RI DMV requires:
    Kit Vehicles
    Definition
    A kit vehicle is a motor vehicle (car, truck or motorcycle) that is built by an individual instead of a manufacturer.

To register a kit car or motorcycle the DMV requires certain paperwork be submitted in order to schedule your vehicle for a mandatory pre-registration inspection, which includes:

Inspection of the vehicle for roadworthiness
    Rhode Island Assigned Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    Your vehicle must complete both phases of this inspection in order to be registered in Rhode Island.
    Inspection Application Procedure for Kit Vehicles (cars and trucks only)
    In order to apply for an inspection for your kit vehicle (car or truck) you must provide the DMV Enforcement section with the following:

A photocopy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin properly assigned in your name from the kit manufacturer
    A photocopy of the title properly assigned in your name (for vehicles 2001 and newer) or a registration certificate in the name of the person you purchased the vehicle from that you are using as a “donor vehicle” to complete your kit car or truck.
    You must also submit four color photographs of the competed vehicle, a photocopy of your operator's license and a phone number where you can be reached during normal DMV hours of operation (8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday).

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean more to prove that the motor isn't stolen. Ive hear horror stories of guys that went to register and got impounded because they couldn't prove their engine didn't come from a stolen vehicle.

Thanks again

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a SEMA website that will answer a lot of questions.
    http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Here is a SEMA website that will answer a lot of questions.
    http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA
    I bought the motor from jdm racing engines, and I have all the paper work to go with that, I mean that should be all I need to prove I did not steal it lol.
    I have the title from my donor which the rest of the parts come from, but it is an 02 and when I get the kit completed it will be 2013-2014, which is over ten years old. In RI they only use titles for registration of 2001 or newer as of 2012. I think it should all work out though, Mostly all bull so they can take your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for a jdm motor too. What company did you guys buy your motor from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Tree View Post
    Looking for a jdm motor too. What company did you guys buy your motor from?
    Sadly, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the easiest and most prominent way of getting a used JDM engine to the US is through the wonderful world of eBay. New, you can go through subaru but it's going to cost you. There are also some custom builders who'll take care of all of that for you by buying a used JDM engine and they'll rebuild everything.

I don't know the state by state licensing requirements and how doing a complete kit build using JDM sourced drive train parts will work. I do know there are some check ready systems in the ECU that aren't present in JDM vehicles that are required for passing US OBD emissions tests. However, if you live in a state where you have a custom or import provision for road vehicles you might be able to get around that, your insurance provider can probably look all of that up for you real quick.

Otherwise, if you live in a state that will go by the Chassis production date and not be willing to treat your car as a true custom or an import, you'll want to trade the JDM ECU for a USDM AVCS-capable unit as they are the same in terms of control but have some ready check relays specific for USDM models from what I understand.

The great PhyrraM spoke to that in another thread but I have no idea where. A quick search of his posts can probably get you to the thread where folks talked about getting a JDM ECU to pass US emissions that's buried in the archives somewhere. I think it was earlier in the summer that we had that discussion.