Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Headers - If you need headers, you need to at least consider these!

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Headers - If you need headers, you need to at least consider these!

Over the last few weeks I, like many, have been struggling trying to figure out how to address the issue of finding headers to run on the Coyote in the MK4. As some of you may have read in other posts, I just wasn't finding a good answer, and it didn't seem like others had either. To make a long story short, through another member on the forum I was put in touch with Chris from Stainless Headers Mfg, who happened to be located in the same town I am (Small world). From there, Chris and his team took a couple of days to spend in my garage working with me to mock up headers that would work not only on my car, but for others as well. Well, today they came over and in a couple of hours had the finished product on the MK4. We attached the sidepipes, and they fit PERFECTLY!

I'll post more details later, but you'll notice that they've built a collector into the headers (4 into the collector and back to the four pipes before connecting to the sidepipes). In addition to looking incredible, and fitting like glove, I've been reading from others who have used the headers from "Stainless Headers" on other engine choices for the FF kits, that the collector even increases horsepower (That will be a definite bonus).

I really hope you can see from these pictures the level of craftsmanship , and the quality of the stainless used. As I mentioned before, I'll get more details from Chris and his team and post them if anyone is interested.

If you need headers for your Coyote Powered MK4... You need to at least consider this option!

DSCF0988.JPGDSCF0989.JPGDSCF0996.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Slider,
    Those look AWESOME! I'm sold!
    I just took my sidepipes in yesterday to get ceramic coated, so I guess I should make a phone call tomorrow.

A question for those with more knowledge than me in this area: If I'm planning to ceramic coat the headers, can I get away with a non-stainless option?

By the way, Slider, I routed my brake line in the exact same place on the 3/4" tubing as well.
    Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Wes, I don't know if they make them without the stainless, but I do know they will do them in ceramic coating. And I'm thinking the brake line routing is probably due to what we learned at the Build School in Howell! I just wish they would have told us that the hardest part of the build would be finding the parts that aren't supplied as part of the kit, and then waiting for them to arrive!

Let me know if you want the contact information for the guys at Stainless Headers. WITHOUT A DOUBT, they are one of the best companies I've worked with during the build. First rate all the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about 6 months out, but these are definately the headers I am buying... The 4 into 1 into 4 is the absolutely the way to go. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this one. Helps that you are next door to these guys. A little harder from California. As a bonus, you probably don't have to modify the O2 sensor wiring harness to extend them either...
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    What sort of cost are we talking?

Post Thanks / Like
    awsome
    I have seen their stuff before and it is top shelf.
    congrats.
    Later
    Mark D
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang did those turn out nice. Looks like Chris fixed you up good.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to add a bit more information if any is interested (Sorry, I'm just excited over these headers since I stressed over them for so long)

If you are interested... These particular headers were built in 1 7/8” American made 304 stainless. They are offered in the standard 4 to 4 configuration or a double merge collector design as mine are. I ended up going with the double merge collector design because I'd heard they provide increased performance due to the merge down area and transition back up in size. There is also a performance increase due to the reduction in the primary tube length. For applications that require an O2 sensor, such as the Coyote, these offer a more exact sampling.

Jeep Flyer, I checked and found out that Ceramic coating is also an option and that instead of stainless, they can be made in mild steel. The prices obviously vary based upon what you want to do, but from what I've seen on their other products, they are very reasonable in terms of cost. I'm sure a quick call to Chris at Stainless Headers would help you define any other details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely interested. Any idea on $$? Post contact info when you can. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is me taking guesses on price, but I'd guess that somewhere between $700 and $1400 depending on the options (Stainless vs Mild Steel, Ceramic coated, 4 into 4, etc). I'll put a link to Stainless Headers up in a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Deskjocky View Post
    Definitely interested. Any idea on $$? Post contact info when you can. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the website for the headers I mentioned above. I don't think they have details on the Coyote headers yet, but at least you can call them

http://www.stainlessheaders.com

Post Thanks / Like
    These people are the best to work with .Chris and the whole gang go out of there way to make sure the customer is happy. I helped with the development of the adjustable mock up system for the Mark IV. There products fits they guaranty it . The pricing is fair. If they make it .It will fit The link to coyote headers is Http://www.stainlessheaders.com/coyote
    Last edited by Gopher; 10-23-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Anniversary Special,Dart Aluminum 427, AFR 225 outlaw heads,Howard Cams,Hillborn stack injection,Liberty Gears prepedTKO600, Five Link, ISIS Wiring,8.98 @151 with no power adders Photo album HTTP://photobucket.com/anniversary-car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    These people are the best to work with .Chris and the whole gang go out of there way to make sure the customer is happy. I helped with the development of the adjustable mock up system for the Mark IV. There products fits they guaranty it . The pricing is fair. If they make it .It will fit The link to coyote headers is Http://www.stainlessheaders.com/coyote
    Wow that's good pricing. Mild steel ceramic coated is cheaper than headers and J-pipes from FFR.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why anybody would want anything different..... those things are bad ***.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    just ordered a set. Is there some rule against posting the price on these forums? It always seems like the actual price is missing or deleted from posts. I suppose i will follow suit and not tell you what i paid for them. But i WILL tell you there is a 3 week-ish lead time. they sure do have to cool-look pegged.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recieved my Coyote yesterday and today the back ordered JPipe from Factory Five, looks like these headers are the way to go. Any one know if Factory Five will let me return the headers and JPipe for credit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DANW View Post
    I just recieved my Coyote yesterday and today the back ordered JPipe from Factory Five, looks like these headers are the way to go. Any one know if Factory Five will let me return the headers and JPipe for credit?
    A few months ago, I called and asked them exactly this question. I was going to try to send back the 4.6 4into4's. Whoever I talked to gave me a non-committal "yeah maybe" answer. That said, I never followed through - i was waiting to see if someone would come out with something kickass like this.

I bet your Jpipe is probably more valuable to them than the old 4.6 stuff now... but i should call them back soon now that my kickass headers are coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hala514 View Post
    Is there some rule against posting the price on these forums? It always seems like the actual price is missing or deleted from posts. I suppose i will follow suit and not tell you what i paid for them.
    The pricing is in the link posted above:

http://www.stainlessheaders.com/coyote
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Just jumping back in on this... I've had these headers from "Stainless Headers" on the car for several weeks now. EVERY SINGLE PERSON who comes to see the car is blown away by the headers! I see that Chris has put some great pictures up, but just wanted to redouble my recommendation for the product and the entire company. And... I did return the FF headers without issue (due to the fact that they couldn't deliver the J-pipes in the time frame that had been promised) I'm sure that they didn't need to do this for me, but I was appreciative of them doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Slider; 12-07-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered mine from Stainless Headers today, the FFR Headers and JPipe went back to FFR..

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some beautiful headers and the price is really reasonable. I like the idea of the merged collector for the O2. Im not clear how it would impact performance but the way they made it, it doesn't seem like it would impact flow much if at all. I wonder if the sound changes at all.

Its good to see there is a 4 into 4 header option now.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Im still poking around and making a build plan for a Coupe. Do the Roadsters share the same routing dimensions as the Coupe? Basically since I am going to use a Coyote will these work on a Coupe?

Post Thanks / Like
    For those that have bought these headers: How should I check "fit" of the sidepipe in case stainless headers needs to do some tweaking? I mounted my headers up, but I am still in early go-kart stage. No body, engine is in but not totally bolted down yet.
    As they sit now, they look pretty good. If anything, the rear end of the sidepipe is out about 1/8" further away from the frame rail vs the front. Also, the sidepipes ended up 1deg high on the exit as compared to the floorboard under the seat.
    I have been hesitant to bolt down the engine in case I end up needing to "shift" it left or right within the engine mounts for whatever reason. The 1deg issue could be taken up by slightly thicker spacers under my engine mount too - i already made some custom ones to raise the engine about 3/8".

Of course I will call the guys next week when they are back to work, but was wondering if anyone had any advice for me this weekend.

Last edited by hala514; 01-19-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added pic

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best way is to actually fit the body so that you can see how it ends up working. I just found it nearly impossible to get a feel without the body on. That's what we did when Stainless came out and mocked up the headers prior to building them. On my set, they drilled the mounting holes larger on the flange (attaches to the sidepipes) so that I could get some adjustment vertically without having to shim the engine mounts further.. as for the 1/8" change between front and back, I think that is quite reasonable, and pretty much unnoticeable, given what I've seen on some other cars! Overall, I'm just so impressed with the headers, and the company. I'm so pleased that so many other guys are ending up with these as well. Chris and team could not be better guys and I'm glad to see them getting success on this product.

Quote Originally Posted by hala514 View Post
    For those that have bought these headers: How should I check "fit" of the sidepipe in case stainless headers needs to do some tweaking? I mounted my headers up, but I am still in early go-kart stage. No body, engine is in but not totally bolted down yet.
    As they sit now, they look pretty good. If anything, the rear end of the sidepipe is out about 1/8" further away from the frame rail vs the front. Also, the sidepipes ended up 1deg high on the exit as compared to the floorboard under the seat.
    I have been hesitant to bolt down the engine in case I end up needing to "shift" it left or right within the engine mounts for whatever reason. The 1deg issue could be taken up by slightly thicker spacers under my engine mount too - i already made some custom ones to raise the engine about 3/8".

Of course I will call the guys next week when they are back to work, but was wondering if anyone had any advice for me this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great post. I'm at go cart stage on my MkIV and had to remove my side exhaust (Gas-N). Didn't realize how restrictive the FFR J-pipe to side pipe connection was!!!!! Saw these amazing headers from the guys at Stainless Headers, called them up and put in the order. Can't wait to get them.
    So.....got a set of FFR Coyote headers and J-pipes for sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Dave. I was actually over at their shop last week (i live in Fargo) and they mentioned they've provided quite a few. I'm loving them! BTW, My Dad, who is the brains behind our build, lives in Calgary. I'll be bringing the car up to spend the summer with him in mid June of this year. I see you are from Alberta, so perhaps if you are in or near Calgary we could get together for a quick run through the hills! Glad you found the Stainless Headers... the product and the company are first rate all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    What a great post. I'm at go cart stage on my MkIV and had to remove my side exhaust (Gas-N). Didn't realize how restrictive the FFR J-pipe to side pipe connection was!!!!! Saw these amazing headers from the guys at Stainless Headers, called them up and put in the order. Can't wait to get them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Slider,
    They body is just going on now so I doubt I'll be on the road by June. I'm about 7 hours north of Calgary. Maybe next summer. If you want the ride of your life, go the Banff then head north on the Icefields Parkway (Highway 93) to Jasper. It's a must see. Keep your eyes pealed for Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Elk and Grizz.
    Those headers from Stainless Headers came in last Tuesday. I am SO impressed. Great material...Great quality construction....Awesome welds.....easy install (lots of room for those hard to get at bolts) and they just look out of this world. Well worth the upgrade. I highly recommend these headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    7 hours north of Calgary... Are you up at Fort McMurray?
    Hey Slider,
    They body is just going on now so I doubt I'll be on the road by June. I'm about 7 hours north of Calgary. Maybe next summer. If you want the ride of your life, go the Banff then head north on the Icefields Parkway (Highway 93) to Jasper. It's a must see. Keep your eyes pealed for Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Elk and Grizz.
    Those headers from Stainless Headers came in last Tuesday. I am SO impressed. Great material...Great quality construction....Awesome welds.....easy install (lots of room for those hard to get at bolts) and they just look out of this world. Well worth the upgrade. I highly recommend these headers.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, in McMurray

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking at getting these headers for my cobra but want to know if they add any power?

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those guys may know the numbers to get the "scavenging effect" they need for that engine. They have increased the size of the tubes which is good. I'm sure the duration and overlap of this engine requires the big tubes. But they may have timed the restriction so it gets all the low pressure it needs to suck gases into the cylinder (Bernolli effect). A dyno pull would be the real test compared against 4x4 headers. For sure, the computer will be very happy with the merging gases that close to the cylinders for the wide band A/R. They also look great! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote, Stainless Headers and a Gas-N exhaust? Perfect combo in my opinion! Any sound/video clips? Would LOVE to hear that.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a Coyote with these headers, cold air intake, and a tune from JMS (13:1 AF ratio all the way to redline) the number I am hearing is right around 420HP at the rear wheels. The FFR MKIV with the FFR shorty headers and j pipes dyno'ed at 388HP at the rear wheels. So call it ~30HP gain.

I just received my stainless 4:1:4 headers from Stainless Headers for my Coyote yesterday. I bolted them on, made one small adjustment to how the motor was sitting in the motor mount perches and the headers are exactly the same distance from the frame/ground on both the driver and passenger sides. Took about 5 minutes to get them perfect. Haven't bolted on the sidepipes yet to check the alignment down the side of the car but so far I am impressed. Better than the FFR 351 long tube header nightmares I read about.

They are built with superb quality and craftsmanship. They mill/deck the flanges after the header has been welded to guarantee a perfect sealing surface.

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    On a Coyote with these headers, cold air intake, and a tune from JMS (13:1 AF ratio all the way to redline) the number I am hearing is right around 420HP at the rear wheels. The FFR MKIV with the FFR shorty headers and j pipes dyno'ed at 388HP at the rear wheels. So call it ~30HP gain.
    mother-of-god.jpg

I'd hoped for 'close too' 400bhp at the wheels but 420RWHP is crazy! Awesome and possibly more available with a BOSS 302 intake!
    Last edited by Benji; 11-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you have a bench mark on the Boss 302 engine installed in a '13 Mustang with long tube headers, high flow CATs, larger intake and SCT tune I have 435 hp. at the rear wheels!

Post Thanks / Like
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful aren't they!
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Ordered mine yesterday. Coyote Double Merge in SS. 1-2 weeks to completion they said.
    And my Coyote is due tomorrow!!!
    CL
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'm sold. Great pictures and great looking headers! If they fit up that well to the sidepipes, looks like the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPSNAKE View Post
    OK, I'm sold. Great pictures and great looking headers! If they fit up that well to the sidepipes, looks like the way to go.
    I can certainly vouch for a perfect alignment with no modifications!

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast