Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coyote Oil Filter Relocation Kit

I have been looking at possible places to relocate the oil filter in my car. I'm using the Coyote and I have the stock relocation kit that comes with the complete kit. While I doubt this works for the Coyote, the only other mention of a relocation kit was from ClemsonS197 HERE.

I'm looking to relocate it for easy servicing, and to keep the underside of the car as clean as possible. Has anyone gone with a relocation kit, instead of just a smaller filter, and if so what works?

Thanks
    Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Wes, just finishing this up now. Fabricated a mount for the relocator on the x-frame just in front of the engine. Used the relocation plug for the Coyote (because the one that comes with the complete kit doesn't fit). However, we are needing to find 90 degree elbows (Street Fitting) so that we can fit the hoses on the relocator (on the engine) and run them to the new filter (otherwise with the straight fittings coming out of the relocator plug they almost run into the frame). The length of the hoses will be about 14". Finding the elbow has been difficult, but think I have a lead on them and will pick them up tomorrow to double check. If they work, I'll let you know. If it all works as planned, I'll send you some pictures if you'd like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford racing part with 120* fittings. perfect fit.
    20120611-Cobra-0117 by akpingel, on Flickr

Filter mounted on the X member:

20120630-Cobra-0158 by akpingel, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up just using a shorter filter. Get one that's for a 2010-2012 Cadillac CTS-V.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    akpingel,

Sorry to kick a dead horse here. I'm trying to order parts without being in the same country as my car.

Are those 120 degree fittings -10 AN O-ring fittings? The Ford Racing Parts site says that but I just wanted to confirm. Also, do you know what it means when it says it includes "adapter to block O-rings" does it just mean it includes a block off plug?

Where did you get the oil filter mount in your second picture?
    Last edited by JeepFlyer; 04-06-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    Wes

Post Thanks / Like
    Small leak from my Oil Filter Relocator unit. Any chance you have a part # for the Cadillac filter you mentioned? And are you still happy with that solution?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    I ended up just using a shorter filter. Get one that's for a 2010-2012 Cadillac CTS-V.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Napa 7060 or equivalent. I used a Mobile 1 filter from my local AutoZone as Napa was out of stick. I just specified to the guy at the counter for a filter for a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V and the computer soit out the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Small leak from my Oil Filter Relocator unit. Any chance you have a part # for the Cadillac filter youCHNGE17408341
    mentioned? And are you still happy with that solution?
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure who to thank for the oil filter number (Clemson or Bansheekev), but I used a Oil filter for a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, a WIX P/N: 57060 and it worked great! Saved me a ton of money on a relocator kit that I really didn't want to have in there anyway (since their lines always leak). Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    akpingel:

Your pictures look great. Did you get the 120 degree fittings from Ford racing with the block fitting? Do you member the part numbers? I mounted the oil filter remote on the front "X" on my Mark I using AN lines and have never regretted it. Now facing the issue at the engine block with the Coyote.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the FFR coyote install kit which uses 1/2" lines for the remote oil filter in the hot rod. To improve the fit I installed 90 degree -8 AN fittings with new Twist-tite hose from Summit. Today I spoke with Ford Racing about the controls pack wiring and finished with a question on pre-oiling the motor. They said to disconnect the ignition feed and spin the motor until I had oil pressure. I did mention that I had a remote filter application and they highly recommended the use of -10 AN lines at a minimum. Just wondering what everyone else has done for this. I hate to put $100 worth of parts in the drawer but don't want to ruin a new motor. The soft lines are about 15" in length.

Because Ford said that most motor failures are do to improper hookup of the remote oil filter, I'd like to verify the following sequence. Block adapter Out to remote filter adapter In, remote filter adapter Out to block adapter IN.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Bob G.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have run the FFR remote oil filter in my MKI for twelve years with no problems and no drips. Have AN-10 lines from the block to the remote, through the oil cooler and back. I am now putting a Coyote in a MK3.1 and plan to use the Ford Racing adapter at the block with the same 120 degree fittings as shown in the akpingel pictures above. This setup is a little spendy but makes a clean and worry-free installation. Plan to use the FFR filter bracket mounted on the front X member and a cooler that I have not chosen yet.

Your note from Ford Racing to spin the motor to get oil pressure is a good idea anytime you are starting a motor that has been sitting a while. This process will also fill the filter, cooler, and the lines. Make sure that you increase the oil capacity of the system to allow for the additional components and lines.

Your system line-up is correct.

Good Luck,

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I did for pre-oiling... 1990 5.0l oil pump from the parts store ($25) and the kit supplied remote oil filter setup tapped into the oil pressure port. I had 90 psi within 1/2 second at startup...

image.jpg

Spinning a dry motor to get oil pressure didn't seem inviting...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JeepFlyer;94757]akpingel,

Sorry to kick a dead horse here. I'm trying to order parts without being in the same country as my car. /QUOTE]

C'mon, NM is still a state.

The Coyote package comes with a reloc kit. The Coyote Engine-Fitment-in-Roadster manual addresses its installation. I'm not using mine (went with the short filter and shims instead). You are welcome to mine for a small cost + shipping.
    Last edited by DaleG; 01-24-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    bancheekev:

Outstanding pre-start oil pressure setup! I can't tell you I have ever thought of that approach before. Does that mean you are up and running? Did you oil pressure hold steady or fluctuate as others have experienced?

Congrats,

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPSNAKE View Post
    bancheekev:

Outstanding pre-start oil pressure setup! I can't tell you I have ever thought of that approach before. Does that mean you are up and running? Did you oil pressure hold steady or fluctuate as others have experienced?

Congrats,

Dennis

Yes, I'm up and running. The oil pressure fluctuates with temperature and rpm. About 90 psi at idle/cold and about 50 psi at idle/up to temp. Step on the gas and it jumps up to 90psi again. BTW, can't take credit for the pre-oiler, it was Dave Borden's idea I borrowed.

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW the oil pressure fluctuating is normal for almost any modern car. Since this is a production motor it doesn't surprise me...

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty slick, using the oil pump to pre-lube the engine! I'll have to remember that. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    I also went with a shorter filter. I didn't want to introduce another possible leak area and a catastrophic failure. Fram #PH10060 or Wix/Napa #57060.
    As far as a pre-oiler I went cheap and simply used a generic garden sprayer threaded into the pressure guage location. Fillthe tank pump it up and pull the trigger. Dead simple.
    Regards,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIPSNAKE View Post
    akpingel:

Your pictures look great. Did you get the 120 degree fittings from Ford racing with the block fitting? Do you member the part numbers? I mounted the oil filter remote on the front "X" on my Mark I using AN lines and have never regretted it. Now facing the issue at the engine block with the Coyote.
    Are those 120 degree fittings -10 AN O-ring fittings? The Ford Racing Parts site says that but I just wanted to confirm. Also, do you know what it means when it says it includes "adapter to block O-rings" does it just mean it includes a block off plug?

Where did you get the oil filter mount in your second picture? .

Hey I apologize I do not check this site often. I bought the 120* fittings from ebay. I bought the block from american muscle P/N .

Jeep: yes the fittings are an10 O ring. I am nott sure what it means in regards to blocking off the o-rings. You will need a plug to block off the oil pressure sensor if you move it like I did. If I recall correctly, it did not fit will with the an10 hoses there. The filter is mounted on the xmember (engine side). I made the mounting bracket out of a piece of aluminum I got from Lowe's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Modular Motorsports; 01-06-2017 at 05:15 PM.