Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with parts

Post Thanks / Like

Help with parts

Hi im thinking of getting a type 65 coupe but i dont know if the engine i want will fit and what transmission i need.
    The engine i was going to use was the SL500/S420 (119) `96-`99 Long Block witch is a mercedes benz engine. Also where can i get a custom dashboard for the coupe

Thanks
    Jacle

Post Thanks / Like
    Your openning 2 large cans of worms or boxes of opportunity. I haven't heard of any one doing the Mercedes transplant, but I'm sure it can be done with enough time, skill , DOUBT and $$$$$. The dash is much less traumatic. Russ Thompson has a custom dash but many of the coupes have done it their own way. Understand though, if you want it custom your way it opens the door to the need for skill. time, DOUBT and $$$$.
    Roy
    Coupe # 181, Spectra blue/Cosmic silver stripes with meatball, 347/425, TKO 600, IRS, PSE 17" pin drives with 275F/335R. a driver, 24,000 miles in 4 summers.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on what Roy said.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops i thougth russ tompson was a person not a company
    Last edited by Jacle; 10-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks but for the custom dash i was wondering if there is q company that makes custom dashes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacle View Post
    Thanks but for the custom dash i was wondering if there is q company that makes custom dashes.
    Very doubtful. It is such a small market for custom dashes. It also depends on what you want in a custom dash. If you just want holes in a different location, then it would be easy to get a blank and put the holes where you want. If you want to go more extreme like myself, then it will be a lot of work and trial an error. It took me about a YEAR to create the dash I wanted.

If I was to replicate it for someone else, I would have to charge about $15K for the pieces and you will still have lots of work to do yourself.
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSchofield View Post
    Very doubtful. It is such a small market for custom dashes. It also depends on what you want in a custom dash. If you just want holes in a different location, then it would be easy to get a blank and put the holes where you want. If you want to go more extreme like myself, then it will be a lot of work and trial an error. It took me about a YEAR to create the dash I wanted.

If I was to replicate it for someone else, I would have to charge about $15K for the pieces and you will still have lots of work to do yourself.
    I like your dash design very much. But isnt 15 000 i little much because it cost more than the kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like your dash design very much. But isnt 15 000 i little much because it cost more than the kit
    That is the problem with mass production vs custom work. With mass production, you get lower cost. If you had Factory Five design and build you a custom kit, you wouldn't be getting it for the price of one of the mass produced kits. I have about 400 hours in time designing and building the dash and I am not done yet. That doesn't include materials and parts. Think about how much that would cost? I had to make a lot of changes from the molds that I made, so I would have to remake all the molds and make them commercial quality. It all adds up. Maybe not 15K, but at least 10K.
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    I think $15,000 is cheap for an entire year of his life! I would charge 10 times that.
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom dash board builders are out there, check the GTM guys, or street rodder builders. They are few and far between, it takes a lot of money.

It's easy to imagineer a custom dash, the difficulty is that they are created from scratch. No parts exist, period. They have to be formed, fabricated, and installed. That means you are using someone else's time and labor - literally. How much do you charge for yours? Somebody else with the skills is going to charge just as much as you, if not more, for that part of their life they are trading for cash.

Once you get all the dimensions down, then the artistry of laying out what can go where, and can it still be useful? gets involved. Ergonomics, Life/Safety in a crash, what vendors are supplying, what materials, it's a long list of choices. The Coupe was a prototype - it never was put thru a factory build process. So what we have is what Shelby American whipped up to meet FIA requirements for a limited production race car. GT40's got a lot more attention, those were sold in street legal form. Compare, and you see a lot more DOT and driver comfort compliance. The roadster at least was built to Brit production sports car standards of the day, the Ace and Bristol had been on the market for years. The Coupe never got any of that. Seven cars, and none exactly the same in every respect.

That's the challenge of the kit - there's a lot more to building a car than meets the eye. Some guys have been on it for years, others screw them together in less than 9 months spare time. That doesn't mean they are finished by any means. It's just a matter of assessing tradeoffs - you trade time or money to get the results you want. Others sell complete ready to roll Coupes for $90,000. That's cheap compared to a Ferrari.

If a Mercedes engine is what you want in it, go for it. It will likely be a one of a kind, but that hasn't stopped others. They did get the opportunity to figure out all the details themselves, just like the first guy to drop in a LS1 Chevy, a Hemi, mod motor, or Coyote. Be prepared for the work of plowing a new field the first time, tho. There will be stumps to clear, unforseen rocks, etc. Detours will need to be negotiated, like a lack of outside headers - nobody has ever done it. Therefore, no headers, just like no custom dash exists like what might appear in your imagination.

It takes a sense of inventiveness and the ability to research, plus a broader perspective. One thing for sure, the more rare or exotic the features, the higher the cost. And what is disappointing, there's no guarantee it will perform above and beyond the benchmark. Most of the work will go toward getting it to run and handle up to that mark, not exceed it. That's because so much work in the conventional areas is already done, and the money goes further. Getting it to do even better means spending more time/money, and the law of diminishing returns starts weighing heavily.

It's the basic choice one has to decide at the beginning, take advantage of the cost/benefits of existing production parts, or invent new stuff from whole cloth? That's a money decision others really can't make for you, get as much information as you can and make an informed choice.