FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Bumper Hoop Installation Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Front Bumper Hoop Installation Problems

In the process of installing the front and rear bumper assemblies on my MKIV that I purchased last November. The rear bumper and overriders went on without any problems at all and fit great. The front overriders took some time to get installed in the proper orientation but when I test fitted the front hoop, it was obvious that there was a major issue. With the overriders pushed out as far out as the slots in the front frame mounts would allow, I measured the distance between the inside edges of the overiders which was 26 3/4". I then measured the distance between the outside edges of the brackets on the sides of the hoops and it was 27 1/2" so there is a 3/4" difference. Even if I loosen all of the bolts holding the overriders in place and push them outward, the hoop still doesn't fit because with them angled outwards, the hoop brackets don't match up to the sides of the overriders (there is a 1/4" gap in the front of the bracket).

Would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get the overiders and bumper? Did they come as a set? the only time I have seen any issue with these was with a cheapo Chrome bumper. I have not seen any issues with FFR provided stainless overriders and stainless bumpers.

How about posing some pics?
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased the bumpers and overriders from FFR when I bought the MkIV base kit last November.

Will post some pics later but its pretty clear that I can't get the overriders moved out far enough to match the width of the hoop.

Thanks,

Ron

Tech Manager, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ron,

I agree - best would be to see some photos from the front and top views especially. Also, if you can get a measurement between your mount brackets on the chassis, I can compare a car here and see if maybe they're closer together than they should be. Same with the width of the mount tabs on the bumper hoop.

thanks!

Jason @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,

Have attached two pics of the front end. I measured the distance between the mounting holes in the frame brackets/mounts and that is 30". The overriders are 3" wide and the mounting bolt is centered so the inside edge of the overrider is 1.5" inside of the center of the bolt. So, 30" minus 3" (2x 1.5") gives a distance of 27" between the inside edges of the overriders. Unfortunately, the brackets on the hoop are 27.5" apart so that is my problem. You can't just push the overriders out because of the angle on the hoop brackets.
    FrontBumper.jpgFrontBumper1.jpg

Many thanks,
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason,

Were you able to take a look at a car there and compare its measurements to the ones I got?

Thanks,

Ron