FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front Control Arm Cam Bolts. Which Orientation?

Post Thanks / Like

Front Control Arm Cam Bolts. Which Orientation?

The suspension is in so I was fitting up the foot boxes and noticed that once they're in place there is very little room for the rear cam bolts on the front control arms. If I put them in pointing back I can get a wrench on the nut to loosen them for alignment but I'm certain that I'll never be able to get a torque wrench in there to torque after alignment. If I put the bolts in pointing forward I'll easily get a torque wrench on the nut and will be able to turn the cam bolts with a wrench but I'll never be able to get the cam bolts back out once the foot boxes are in. Will I ever need to take them out? So...Which is the lesser of two evils? I'm thinking to put them in pointing back. After an alignment I'll just tighten the nuts using a box end wrench and tighten until my eyes bleed but I wouldn't mind hearing from those who have been there, done that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely leave the bolts so they can be removed.......so when you decide to upgrade to the much more solid shims that also allow you more caster from www.myraceshop.com, you will be able to take those old bolts out!
    Last edited by crash; 02-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed...you will want to keep them so you can get them out if needed....in the event of a bent control arm or some other mishap.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    You can punch a hole in the aluminum footbox and then fab up a cover if you want to put them in pointing foward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a note.

If any of you have any A&P experience then you will know this, but it may be worth mentioning that the "proper" way to install bolts is always so the head of the bolt is forward, outward, or up. This minimizes the ability of the fastener to fall out should the nut or other securing device fail.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts