Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear view mirrors on the S

Post Thanks / Like

Rear view mirrors on the S

If I've missed a post on this, I apologize in advance.

With the mirrors mounted rigidly to the windscreen posts as on the SEMA car, the mounting brackets extended towards the rear of the car. The doors would swing open under those mirror and mounts. It seems that this arrangement could not be used if the doors had windows. See rather poor pic attached

Did I miss something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the car will not have roll up windows in this version I don't see that as a problem. I am sure if FFR has a later version with roll ups this will be addressed. For kit constructors that want to install their own roll up windows, I always say if there is a will there is a way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Since the car will not have roll up windows in this version I don't see that as a problem. I am sure if FFR has a later version with roll ups this will be addressed. For kit constructors that want to install their own roll up windows, I always say if there is a will there is a way.
    Agreed, I just thought some of the photo-shop guys doing a top of some sort might not have noticed. When imagining a top + windows, mirrors on the doors (or wherever) should be included to complete the picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. Just one of the hundreds of finesse points when coachbuilding a coupe with windows. The mirrors get mounted on the fenders or door skin, and then you have to deal with them being a significant issue in aerodynamics and wind noise. Mirrors are considered one of the top three problem areas for cleaning up air flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no doubt the mount point will need to change to accommodate roll up windows. Also the door itself is too small to allow a full length (from the front of the door to the rear) window to roll down. The natural solution is a wing window type structure (doesn't need to actually have a window). This would reduce the size of the window, and allow for a mirror mount point on the door itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wing window could also be fixed to the body, with the mirror left as-is. The door would still open under it, and the slightly pushed back roll-down window will clear it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious about that giant gap from the mirror to the door. Maybe I'm seeing things, but if I'm seeing what I think I am, that doesn't look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. To me that makes it scream kit car. Hopefully they will be addressing that considering the mirrors where a last minute rush to get the cars out the door for SEMA.

P