Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 with an automatic trans??

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

818 with an automatic trans??

I just got back home from SEMA and showed all the 818 photos to my wife. I think that I've convinced her that she wants one of these instead of a '58 Porsche replica but, will need to put an automatic in either car. Being severely lacking in Subaru knowledge, does anyone know of an engine/auto trans combo that will/would work in the 818?

Thanks,

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Many Impresza were built with automatics. The questions are:
    1. Can the auto be converted to 2WD?
    2. Will the auto fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm anxious to find out as well. I've been talking with a wheelchair bound autocross buddy about building one for him if it is possible. He races using hand controls so an automatic is a must.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    As stated a few times already....

Most (not all) of the 4 speed autos ARE technically FWD. The RWD portion is simply a clutchpack that engages to the always powered 'front half'. If you pull off the RWD clutchpack then power still goes to the FWD portion.

There were FACTORY FWD 4 speed automatics that are little changed from the donor AWD WRX 4speed autos. These would require no hardware changes, but would need some slight electrical changes to be compatable with the donor WRX electrics.

Somebody who desires an automatic just has to get dirty and figure out the minor details it will take to make it happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Paddle shifter - no clutch alternative to automatic, but may be too costly

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I'm anxious to find out as well. I've been talking with a wheelchair bound autocross buddy about building one for him if it is possible. He races using hand controls so an automatic is a must.

Jeff
    Jeff,

This may be an expensive alternative for your friend... If you do ask for a quote, I'd be curious to know.

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/index.html

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be cautious about 'converting' a manual gearbox which wasn't design for sequential shifting to the point that I think I'd rather just go with an automatic box even though I hate them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Jeff,

I re-read a responce to a question I had a little while back.. the question I had was besides the STI what other restrictions were there besides not using a Impreza STI for a donor ..... The responce was "The STI is the only exception when looking for a donor car, all other Impreza platforms should be able to be used. " this answer was straight from FFR Technical Support Dan Golub. You could ask them the direct question and they will answer your e-mail... but I take that to mean that NA automatics are in.

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you can do the 818 automatic. The '58 porsche replica might be a problem as an auto. VW didn't make too many autos for the aircooled engines.

Post Thanks / Like
    But they did make some! My Granny had a 70's bug with an 'auto-shift' trans. It was a clutchless manual 3 speed. Two pedals, gas and brake, and a stick on the floor. As you moved the stick, it would auto de-clutch. So you'd just lift the gas, and shift the stick like any other 3 speed, but no need to press a clutch. At lights you didn't have to do anything. I think it used some sort of centrifical clutch like on a mini-bike.

Rare certainly, and not a true automatic. But its something.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was a VW mechanic for many years in my youth. The Autostick was a 3spd manual trans on the bug (type1) with a torque converter on the flex plate of the engine. I had a normal clutch but was declutched by a vacuum chamber that was controlled by an electric switch in the shifter. It was a sorry POS. Very slow and not WAC. The Type 4 and 3 had a true automatic. They were POS too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a few VW's and went to shows. A lot of my friends had VW's too. Didnt see many automatics or the Autostick. I did have a friend who had a squareback with an auto. It didn't give him any problems. He didnt have it long though. I saw a guy drag race with an auto too. I heard he put a lot of work into it to do it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlahl3160 View Post
    Jeff,
    but I take that to mean that NA automatics are in.
    You know many WRX's came with any an automatic tranny as well right?
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    yeah all the cheap ones with low miles are autos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up on that... All the ones I have looked at at Copart looked like manual.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker