FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 Donor Sell Off Finances

Post Thanks / Like

818 Donor Sell Off Finances

I've been tracking everything I've sold off the donor. My donor was an 06 WRX which has a few items that are more desireable than other model years for resale (ex: integrated headrest seats vs 02/03 standard headrest, painted side skirts vs 02-05 black plastic, painted mirrors vs 06 TR black mirrors).

Car was in a front right impact. Most of front end was ruined, drivers light and fender were undamaged.

Prices listed are what things actually sold for. The second price is what it cost to ship it if it wasn't a local pickup. Some prices aren't even numbers because people are bad at math and don't add in the 3% paypal when asked and I can't remember the original value.

This should help give others an idea of what they can recoup. Keep in mind, you might get more, but I went more for the quicker sale than holding onto items for months. Other items I didn't sell due to shipping (ie: trunk).

Total so far is $1995.65 in parts sold, $140.19 for shipping, so a net decrease in the cost of my donor of $1855.46. Original cost of donor: $4095. Current cost of donor: $2239.54.

*Headliner: $30
    *Rear Strut Bar (aftermarket): $25
    *All Weather Subaru floor mats: $20
    *Visors (cloth, not vinyl like 02-?): $5
    *Rally Armor mudflaps (aftermarket): $65, $12 shipping
    *Taillights (06 stock) and hood struts (aftermarket): $208, $19 shipping
    *Custom header tank bracket: $54, $3 shipping
    *Painted STI style sideskirts (stock on 06): $165, $26 shipping
    *Front Seats (integrated headrest, stock 06): $225
    *Cabin carpet and fog lights (no fog bezel): $220, $58 shipping
    *Fender: $50
    *Spare tire: $15
    * Painted sideview mirrors (stock): $90, $14 shipping
    *Aluminum battery tie down (aftermarket): $25, $1.50 shipping
    *Plastic power steering reservoir: $30, $5 shipping
    *Scrap metal, Steel: $75
    *Scrap metal, aluminum (included old intake manifold): $20

Items I haven't/didn't sell due to high shipping cost or people never showed up:

*trunk: Stock with CF OEM style WRX wing : $200, didn't want to ship to california.
    *Roof skin: $180 (guy didn't show up, needs to replace his, dealer wants $300 for unpainted skin).
    *Doors: $50 for metal skins only (same guy, didn't show up)
    *Rear quarter panels: $50 (different guy changed his mind when he realized all the work to weld them onto a wagon).
    Last edited by Mechie3; 11-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not to bad. Looks like you will be able to build the 818 for a little under that $15K complete mark, and even have some money for some goodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now THIS is a great thread! Very useful to know! Now. Who can build an 818 for the cost of the kit.... or less

Choose your donor wisely and sell freaking hard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mechie3. That's very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Other helpful bits (things I've sold in the past of various WRX):

04/05 taillights pull a premium other all other years.
    Sold stock struts/springs for $100 as a set.
    Stock 02 WRX wheels with 1 bad tire: $150
    Door cards generally pull ~$100 (had offers, didn't want to ship to california)
    Front subframes are sometimes used for turbo swaps for non turbo motors
    Swaybars and endlinks that are stock don't sell for much.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like your prices are too low. I have been researching asking prices and some things like the doors, trunk, fenders seem to be far more expensive then what you are selling them for. Your sold prices are less than the least expensive items on ebay. Where did you come about the price?

Great thread....It will be very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of searching on NASIOC. Ebay is almost always overpriced and the auctions are just relisted over and over. With 1 exception, I've found all my used parts (when I was modding my wrx) on NASIOC much cheaper than ebay.

One hard thing with NASIOC is some people like to edit their post or price after its sold to say "sold!". Makes it hard to figure out the actual selling price. I'll generally look up several listings, see how much they're asking, which ones sold, which ones didn't, how long were they listed, and shoot for somewhere in the middle.

Doors weren't full doors, I gutted them: no glass, no hardware, just the shell.

Fender was listed at $60, guy offerd $50 and local pickup. You might get $100 on NASIOC, but people fight you about shipping. For the carpet, the thing weight 20 some lbs (IIRC) and cost $50 to ship. The buyer didn't believe it would cost that much and only offerd to covering half of shipping. The guy buying the sideskirts would'nt pay me the 3% paypal fee saying "it protects the seller too", when in reality they usually side with the buyer no matter what the case.

I sold a lot of items within a week or two. I wanted to make money, but didn't want to drag the process out. It's also worth the quick sale to not deal with all of the lowballs. No, I will not sell you a $50+shipping item for $20 shipped when shipping will cost me $30. Happens more often than you think.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mechie3,

The body and interior on my 2004 WRX wagon donor car is very clean which I also paid $4100 for. I am driving the car right now (very zippy little car with no mods...yet...insert Tim the toolman Taylor laugh here). I replaced a drive shaft because of a bad CV boot and an 02 sensor. I put new StopTech pads and new Centric rotors all the way round. Very pleased so far...with 1400 lb weight loss...this is going to be fun.

Do you know what the market is for clean stock painted body panels?

Thank you for creating this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fenders and hoods seem to pull the most premium as they're most often damaged. I sold my fnder with a small dent in it for $50. non damaged ones can get $100. Headlights can also bring in a bit of cash depending on year and condition. Complete doors can get up to $200 if you find the right buyer. I had a buyer offering $50 each for all 4 door skins that never showed up.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Sold some more items:

PS Reservoir: $30, $5 shipping
    Hood Scoop (painted, no splitter): $60, $15 shipping
    PS pump: $65
    One door (skin only): $50
    Rear Swaybar/trailing arms*: $160

Currently sitting at $1969 total cost for my 06 WRX donor. Don't forget, I scrapped the radiator and sold the front seats, so that's an additional cost coming later. I could have kept the seats, just didn't want to.
    *You need the trailing arms for the 818. I have some aftermarket ones in the basement so my stockers were sold to a guy that hit a curb in the snow.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice job. Pricing parts right is the way to go. Better to have cash in hand than checking and bumping forums for months and months.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie - I have tried listing my 2002 WRX on the NASIOC "Parting Out" forum and have not had any response... Did you list each part individually?

Sold so far using Kijiji (Toronto):
    Front Bumper Cover with aftermarket skirt $150
    Hood with Scoop $150
    Black Side Skirts $100/pr

Post Thanks / Like
    You list it under the partout section and then individually list each part in that thread. I took pictures of each individual part as well.

Be warned, as with any forum, there's plenty of idiots that don't read. I still get pm's asking me for brakes, hubs, motor, etc. They also ask me for my hood and front bumper when I clearly listed all the parts I need for my 818 and listed parts damaged in the wreck.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    You list it under the partout section and then individually list each part in that thread. I took pictures of each individual part as well.

Be warned, as with any forum, there's plenty of idiots that don't read. I still get pm's asking me for brakes, hubs, motor, etc. They also ask me for my hood and front bumper when I clearly listed all the parts I need for my 818 and listed parts damaged in the wreck.
    So what was your final sell off number?

Post Thanks / Like
    Current total is $2280 parts sold, $155 in shipping, so a net of $2125.

Still have the roof skin, 3 door skins, engine cradle, center diff, rear diff, shifter assy, door cards, rear seats, dash, passenger airbag, and a few odds and ends that haven't sold or been scrapped yet.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    On the doors, were the prices listed each or total?

Post Thanks / Like
    Each. I finally had one guy come and he traded me a set of jdm rx7 4 pot brakes for a project. The rest just gather dust.

I did sell my center diff for $300 plus shipping. Had 2 guys want it and never get back to me before one guy took it. Sold it on nasioc.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks! I have a potential salvage donor I'm looking at that has minimal visible damage (and I think minimal damage period). I've been trying to figure out how much all those good parts are worth so I have a better idea what my maximum bid will be. Based on this thread, it looks like I should be able to get $2k back out of it fairly easily.

It goes to auction Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread.