BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submitted a request the the SCCA SEB to class the 818 for Solo

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan 2013 FastTrack comes out tomorrow. You didn't miss anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll keep my fingers crossed...

still no update as of 4:15 on Thursday... :-(
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 12-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    With the SCCA's history of making decisions at glacial speed I'm putting my money on Fastrack reporting that the request is being "taken under advisement".
    Bing, Bing, We have winner.

From the SEB:
    #9715, 9718 Factory Five Racing 818 Classing Proposals

Thank you for the information regarding this kit model. At this time it does not appear that there is sufficient data to
    determine if the car meets the requirements of 18.1.A.1, but the MAC will welcome the specifications and availability
    information when it becomes available, and when the kit is in full production. At present the car can run in A Modified
    under the provisions of 18.4
    Looks like they'll wait until wheels are actually on the ground before ruling on EMod. According to the rules:
    Has independently-verifiable evidence of at least 10 examples which meet the approved specification produced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Bing, Bing, We have winner.

From the SEB:

Looks like they'll wait until wheels are actually on the ground before ruling on EMod. According to the rules:
    Yep. This is what I was told by members of the SEB.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I've been around SCCA long enough to know how it works so that's pretty much what I expected...

...At present the car can run in A Modified...
    For those who aren't aware A mod has a minimum weight of 900 pounds including the driver and allows tons of aero. Here are a couple of examples:

Eventually after enough 818s are built and start showing up on the SCCA radar they'll shake it out to a proper category but it will take a couple of seasons. Until then, can you say "Overclassed"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, Dan's car (the second one) has around 275hp (at 900lbs) and with the CVT is always at max power. There's some CFD data floating around on the design of the rear wing.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago Bill Goodale (sp?) ran with us a couple times with his 3 cyl artic cat powered AMod. It was a tiny HS parking lot, I was running my Red Devil FM at the time. That machine was AMAZING!!! My son's coyote kart running a briggs raptor was having problems, he jumped in and used his on board compressor to blast the plug and jumped in to get my young son's kart running again! He was quite the inspiration to my pre teen son at the event!You meet some of the nicest people at autocrosses.

PS he ran with us before that in a type 4 VW powered AMod that was also just crazy

Post Thanks / Like
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    Time passes, life goes on, some of us still think about auto crossing an 818. Allow me to think out loud a bit here.

There's no real difference between an 818R and 818S, they'll end up in the same class.

It will be difficult / expensive to reach minimum weight in either EM or DM. 1800lbs with driver? I'd rather not try. Note the PAX handicap for EM is 0.928.

Other FFR cars are classed in XP as 4.5+ liter cars. I'd like to see the 818 there also as a 2.0+ car. Note the XP PAX is a much nicer 0.901.

Here's a table of engine size vs XP minimum weight. I hope this formats well...

NA Size NA Weight Equiv. Turbo Size Turbo Weight
    2.0 1640 2.8 1816
    2.2 1684 3.08 1877
    2.5 1750 3.5 1970
    3.0 1860 4.2 2040
    3.2 1904 4.48 2096 (3.6 destroked with 3.0 crank)
    3.6 1992 5.04 2208

Some of those weights are lower than we can reach, others require more tire than we can fit.
    It might be difficult to fit big wide tires for competition while keeping the fenders nice for a daily driver.

Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud here.
    Last edited by Slatt; 11-03-2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Table format

Post Thanks / Like
    Prepared class are for "Production Based" vehicles. 818 is not in either trim. It will fall in a Modified class eventually.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, the rule book states the intent of Prepared is for production based non-street-driven vehicles. But it also states

The SCCAŽ may also class suitable non-production full-bodied full-fendered strictly-specified cars into this category. Production quantities, EPA approval, and DOT approval are not required. The SCCAŽ may choose not to classify any such vehicle it deems unsuitable for the Prepared category.
    Further, Appendix A (Prepared) says in the XP section

Factory Five - All with a minimum engine size of 4.5L normally aspirated or the equivalent forced induction engine size and weight.
    Roadster & Challenge Car Type 65 Coupe
    GTM Supercar
    That's the only place any FFR car is called out in the rule book.

Those are the reasons that I reckon XP is a possibility for the 818, with a lower displacement limit I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm friends with Jeff Kiesel and I'm sure he'll have no issue with anyone running in E Mod, not like anyone has any chance in hell of catching him. Regionally we're going to run our R in X Class with an EM pax, the S will race in OSP. Both are local classes that have no national place. But we do plan on attending a few ProSolo's and Spring and Fall Nats in Lincoln wiht the R in EM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatt View Post
    Right, the rule book states the intent of Prepared is for production based non-street-driven vehicles. But it also states

Further, Appendix A (Prepared) says in the XP section

That's the only place any FFR car is called out in the rule book.

Those are the reasons that I reckon XP is a possibility for the 818, with a lower displacement limit I hope.
    A few of us wrote the SEB and got the roadster in Prepared some 15+ years ago if I remember right.

Part of the argument was the car was very close to the original in weight and dimensions.

Keep it up guys!!

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    X Prepared does seem to be a better fit for the 818 over E Modified.

The cars in XP are larger (track and wheelbase) and weigh more. This makes it easier to run a rules limit 818. I, personally, will change my focus to get the 818 in XP with the rest of the FFR's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think XP makes sense. It'll compete against the likes of this lotus:

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    SCCA 2014 SOLO schedule is released
    Three events at my home court, Wilmington Airpark
    Bob

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=51705

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping to have the R running for Dixie. I hear a lot of good things about Wilmington.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12